VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2009 Jetta 2.5L about 3 months ago, and I’ve always gotten about 450km out of a full tank of gas. But this seems really low to me, i used to drive a 2001 Jetta tdi and I would get 1000km out of a tank easy. I know that the Diesel engine is way better on gas but I wouldn’t think that I would get under half the fuel mileage out of a tank. If anyone else has this car with this engine I would love to know if you’re getting similar fuel economy to me.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

How many liters are you using for that 450km

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

How many liters are you using for that 450km
usually I get that much when I go to almost empty and the fuel light comes on and it takes 45 litres to fill it up usually. So based on that link I’m missing about 100km

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
That average 23.6mpg is pretty close to the Epa combined of 24mpg unless you are doing all highway miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
While it's a solid and reliable engine, the 2.5 can be brutal on gas. I used to own a 2007 Rabbit and I remember almost jumping with joy whenever I saw anything better than 8 l/100 km, and that was under perfect conditions on the highway. During winter, I remember seeing 10-11 l/100 km on a regular basis. :/

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It sounds about right for a 5cyl engine, keep in mind you're comparing a 5cyl gas engine to a Turbo Diesel that gets great fuel economy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts