VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i noticed that while driving ...but only in 3rd gear and up i will hear a wheee sound...like as if the car wasnt grounded rite adn im getting feedback. but then again ..i was driviin along the first lane on the highway and i swear i heard it coming from outside. what could this be ??? and i also heard that a bad ground can also lessen performance ? is this true at all? i jstu want to get rid of that sound it gets realll annoying

· Registered
22 Posts
Re: (HiTdAtSiT)

Hmm, Not too sure what your problem is. does it make the sound when the car is in nutral and hitting a high RPM? Bad grounds would make the car run crappy.. Less gass mileage and less power in the RPM range! You could try and put on a ground wire kit, they sell them on E-Bay for $15.00 Try and decribe the sound a lil more better.. A whee sound could be anything from leaky manifold to a loose spark plug to a vacume leak. Hell it could be the wind passing your car..
maby im just insane

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (TinyVW)

well i dont know how to describe the sound anymore ..just that it wheees and only in 2nd and 3rd gear..and also i dont think the sound is comin from the speakers..cuz i heard it more when i had the window open while on the first lane of the hw along the wall. how crappy will the car run ? cuz i feel it is alil sluggish at times. oh and no sound in neutral and it makes the sound right when i shift into gear ..and not sure if it disappears or its just hidden from my exhaust sound when in high rpms..

Modified by HiTdAtSiT at 11:36 AM 11-15-2004

· Registered
115 Posts
Re: bad ground ?? (HiTdAtSiT)

a bad ground would lead to electrical failures you would notice and would cause some serious headache problems. if you only hear the noise in a single gear odds are if it is a 2.0 or 1.8 it is the $hitty o2o tranny about to take a (rap on you. i replaced my trans in my 2.slow already and i do a ton of them at work.

· Registered
6 Posts
Re: bad ground ?? (Farnsworth Bentley)

Anybody figure out what is causing this sound. I ran over something on the road and have had this sound ever since but can't find anything wrong under the car. I've also been having problems witH my ABS, Brake light, airbags light staying on. Could this be a ground problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.