VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a little enthusiastic driving the other night I have been getting this squeeling/grinding noise coming from what seems to be my front driver's side wheel. It is definitly up front somewhere, and it doesn't change with shifting gears or anything so I'm guessing its not the clutch/tranny. It also seems to make the noise in coordination with rotation of something and only does it when I'm not accelerating. Can anyone help me out here? Luckily it is going in to NGP on Thursday but that was for a problem with my steering being really stiff, could these problems be related? Thanks in advance, I'm freakin out!

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: Bad noise, very bad noise... Help please! (Jettaguy87)

sounds brake related, but I really wanted to say I like your sig

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

Weird. Check your brakes, wheel bearings and axle shaft.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Re: Bad noise, very bad noise... Help please! (John16v)

sound like a really bad wheel bearing!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Bad noise, very bad noise... Help please! (QcGTI)

Thanks for the sig, actually thank USERNAME for saying that! My guess was the wheel bearing as well but since the steering was popping for a while and hard to steer especially at low speeds, many people I have talked to have hinted at the steering rack possibly being a problem. Last summer my rear wheel bearing stuck itself on my axle somehow so bad I had to replace it! Lets hope this one isn't that bad if it is a bearing, thanks for the help I'll post when I get it fixed.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Re: Bad noise, very bad noise... Help please! (ericsson7)

I'm also having similar noises... sounds like a bird chirping sometimes and sometimes the car seems to be rolling very very "unsmoothly." At low speeds around turns I also sometimes lose power steering for a second or two, so I'm pretty sure it is a wheel bearing / something with the steering rack? Do you hear the noises especially when you let off the gas and at low RPM / low speeds? That's when I'm getting the most noises from my car... I dont hear anything or have any problems when I'm reving more than about 2200 RPM + or going over about 25-30 mph.... I am just hoping my problem has nothing to do with tranny/clutch
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

ALRIGHT, guess what it was? One of my worst fears, a tranny problem
They aren't 100$ positive yet but the mechanic said that the axle moves when tugged on and they think the differential in the tranny is toast. It did sound like grinding but its weird because it shifted fine. Oh well, I'm no mechanic. On the brighter side I will be getting a limited slip differential, not Quaife (since I'll be broke already) but along the same lines. They will also be putting in bolts instead of the rivets so thats all good. The estimate right now is about 700 so I'll know for sure by Friday-Early next week. Damn, my car has some strange ass problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.