VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When putting on the brakes at speeds around 50 to 70 I get a bad vibration which I thought were my rotors. Well, it's not... When accelerating from 65 to about 80 I get a terrible wheel shake and a wump wump sound on flat roads @ around 35 to 50 mph - I just had an allignment and my tires are balance. I even rotated that tires because I thought I might have a bent rim. Final question, Is it one of my axles???? I hope not$$$$.....Any help would be appre
ciated

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Re: BAD shake when pressing on gas and braking HELP! (quiksilver03)

I had a similar problem when I replaced my factory wheels with aftermarket.
I thought it was a balance problem and had them balanced but that didn't solve the problem. When I took the wheels off and put them back on it made a little difference. The problem turned out to be the difference between factory and aftermarket wheels. Factory wheels are hub-centric and
aftermarket wheels have larger bores to accomidate for different cars. I installed some hub-centric rings and problem was solved. Do you have aftermarket wheels and if so has this been a problem since you installed them?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. I still have the stock long beach 17's. When I got new tires it seemed like it helped for a little and then it just keeps getting worse. I had one shop drive it. At first they said it was the tires. As it got worse, they drove it again and said it was the axle. Who knows, and who knows which one??????//

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. I've got 57,000 miles on it. There's no leaving this car sit for more than 2 days unfortunately. I don't believe it could have anything to do with the brakes either. It is all pointing to the axles....

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Re: (Mark4VR6)

Rotors probably warped. To many trips to the track

Thats what happens when you build the piss out of the motor and don't address the issue of slowing down

Modified by hman at 7:50 AM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Re: (quiksilver03)

Rear rotors/pads are cheaper, try replacing and see what happens.
A bad bearing would show all the time. CV joints/boots okay?
It's almost gotta be tires/rims or rotors/pads...

·
Registered
2 Posts
check control arm bushings...Under load 'Braking or acceleration' the control arm may shift slightly causing mis-alighnment...

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Re: (quiksilver03)

Quote, originally posted by quiksilver03 »
Rotors are good and so are the brakes. I've made very few trips to the track also.

Have you had them pulled off and checked or are you just eyeballing em and deciding they're ok?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (hman)

Pulled them off and checked. All is well as far as brakes and rotors are concerned. No clicking noise either. Do we have half-shaft weights. I read that in a post and never heard of that before. Guess I'm gonna have to start rippin' **** off. Well, not me.
The axles they make for my vehicle are about $500.00 – but this link may help someone else out.
http://vw-parts.drivewire.com/buy-vw/jetta/axle-assembly.html
If it is the axle shafts/cv joints – the link below is where I will order them from.
https://www.1stvwparts.com/partscat.html

Modified by quiksilver03 at 8:46 PM 5-18-2004

1 - 13 of 13 Posts