VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my 2.5 jetta started making a roaring sound on the front right wheel.I thought that maybe I had a bad tire but after replacing the tire with a new tire the sound was still there. I went to the dealership this morning,they said that I have a bad wheel bearing. My car has stock steel wheels and no suspension mods. Has any one else had this problem?

· Registered
3,809 Posts
Re: bad wheel bearing at 20k! (XM_Rocks)

Quote, originally posted by XM_Rocks »
Dealer is replacing under warranty correct?

My guess is "no", since it's not covered as a wear-n-tear, and even if it was, it's outside of 12K miles.

· Registered
75 Posts
Re: bad wheel bearing at 20k! (baker001)

Hi. Can you describe the sound you hear? I have a whining, low kind of sound from my front end, and wonder if it's bearings. I hear it best on smooth roads, about 35 mph. I had it with my stock tires and still have it with my winters, so I do not believe it is tire related. Haven't gone to the dealer yet.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Re: bad wheel bearing at 20k! (jmj)

Quote, originally posted by jmj »

My guess is "no", since it's not covered as a wear-n-tear, and even if it was, it's outside of 12K miles.

Please explain this since I'm a bit confused.
Why wouldn't they change this?

· Registered
2,292 Posts
Re: bad wheel bearing at 20k! (jmj)

Quote, originally posted by jmj »

I had mine replaced under warranty on my MK4 and I had over 30,000 at the time. Take it in and see what they say....

· Registered
8 Posts

I had a Jetta 2.5....bigges POS i ever owned. I traded it last week on a GLI, 0% financing and all...same payment. night and day diffrence. VW claims that the 2.5 is half a Lambo V-10... BS. my 2.5 was in the shop at least once a month the six months i owned it. good luck

· Registered
46,328 Posts
Re: (mbraun)

Quote, originally posted by mbraun »
where have you read other posts about wheel bearings. I've searched and found only one.

i saw a post on golfmkv forums the other day and then remember reading it in some other topic that wasnt related but they started talking about bearings..
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2936659
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2935660
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2930028 <~ someone says their bearing went out

Modified by absoluteczech at 5:31 PM 11-27-2006

· Registered
688 Posts

I have what sounds like thumping on my front driver's side when going over certain (fairly new paved roads) surfaces. I know wheel bearing sounds but this is not all the time (much more in the rain) and sounds like the tire has a flat spot. I see to have noticed it after my 10K tire rotation. Ideas anyone ?

· Registered
327 Posts
My fiance's Passet just had a front wheel bearing replaced at 18,000 miles. Started as a low hum (almost like a tire with a nail in it) that increased and decreased with speed. The dealer brought it in and replaced it under warranty. No questions asked.

· Banned
81 Posts
Re: (ILoveMyCar)

Quote, originally posted by ILoveMyCar »
that should be covered by warranty

It is!
A wheel bearing is NOT covered under the 12k/1yr wear and tear warranty, but the B2B warranty. The former only covers things like brake pads, windshield wiper inserts, mostly soft metal and rubber components, although a maufacturer defects warranty is also appliciable most likely.

· Banned
81 Posts
Re: (ILoveMyCar)

Quote, originally posted by ILoveMyCar »
that should be covered by warranty

It is!
A wheel bearing is NOT covered under the 12k/1yr wear and tear warranty, but the B2B warranty. The former only covers things like brake pads, windshield wiper inserts, mostly soft metal and rubber components, although a maufacturer defects warranty is also appliciable most likely.
Your car, and all VW cars come with a WARRANTY booklet which details all coverages. You should read it carefully when problems arise, and before the do as well. Don't forget the emissions warranty is 8 years or 80k miles.

· Registered
2,932 Posts

A wheel bearing can be worn by tightening the lug bolts too quickly, or as what happened to me, an incorrect wheel size being used. Fortunately, in my case, it was Discount Tire that installed the wrong wheel, and to their credit, admitted it and picked up the $1300 tab to get 3 hubs and wheel bearings replaced.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.