VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so two weeks ago I had all the windows on my two-door GTI tinted. The place I went to works with the BBB and has really good reviews. I thought everything with the tint looked great until a couple days later when I noticed that the corner of the rear driver side window wasn't sticking and that there were about 20+ dust/hair spots on the back window. I figured I would give it a couple more days. So after six days I felt comfortable enough to put the windows down and when I did the top of the driver side ripped in two spots. Also, the corner of the rear still wasn't sticking. This made me decide to take a closer look at the rest of it. I noticed that on the inside of the back was peeling and there was a bunch of hairs real close together in the front passenger window. I called the shop to ask about everything and the guy immediately gave me attitude. Insisting that the only way it would have ripped is from me putting it down before the three days they said to wait. He basically didn't believe anything I said. So I took it back for him to look at it. He tried telling me that it wouldn't stick to the dot matrix on the back windows, which I already understood, but he ignored that it was completely bubbling up underneath. He agreed to replace both fronts but I had to ask/try to explain four times before he agreed to do the driver side rear too. When I asked about the back window and all the dust marks he simply said "I won't redo this one because of dust. It's too hard to do." I let it go and took my car back to have the front two and one back redone. On my way home from picking it up I noticed the rubber window seal was sticking out ON BOTH SIDES. I turned around and took it right back. The guy didn't take it seriously at all. So he put the windows down and fixed the seals..but you're not supposed to put them down for three days right? Now, three days later, and there is a big quarter-sized bubble at the bottom of the passenger window, and a group of about (no joke) 100 pieces of dust in the corner of the driver side window. Also, a couple of the dust spots in the back window have increased in size. Not to mention that there are scratch marks all over the outside of the back windows. I know they put the tint on and cut it to size like that, but a couple of these scratches are DEEP and you can feel them. I do not want to take it back to this place to have them redone a third time, just to be messed up again. Has anyone ever heard of "returning" tint? I don't want to go back to this shop ever again, and now after all of this I'm thinking about just sticking with the fishbowl look. One last thing...what can I do about these deep scratches in the glass? Sorry for the long post. Just had to get all the details out there.

·
Registered
45,716 Posts
that sucks. i guess your only option is to talk to the owner and ask for money back if not take him to small claims and sue him for the damages (if he in fact did ruin the window)

it honestly sounds like this guy doesnt know what the **** he's doing. my tint shop always tells me the rear hatch is difficult to do but they managed with no problem. ive had to go back once on my old car because of a bubble that wouldnt go away and he fixed it immediately.

good luck. find another good reputable tint shop in your area :thumbup:

·
Registered
'21 Ranger Tremor, '19 MX-5 Club BBR, '21 Ducati Hypermotard
41,770 Posts
that sucks. i guess your only option is to talk to the owner and ask for money back if not take him to small claims and sue him for the damages (if he in fact did ruin the window)

it honestly sounds like this guy doesnt know what the **** he's doing. my tint shop always tells me the rear hatch is difficult to do but they managed with no problem. ive had to go back once on my old car because of a bubble that wouldnt go away and he fixed it immediately.

good luck. find another good reputable tint shop in your area :thumbup:
:thumbup:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on going back tomorrow to talk to him about it. Hopefully he can be reasonable, but the outside of both back windows are pretty badly scratched. A couple of them even catch your fingernail if you rub over it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
PM me the name of the place so I know where NOT to go if you don't want to post it. I am in the process of getting my 2013 GTI tinted and I live in the Burgh...
I say post it up because shops like this need to be blacklisted

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
If they're with BBB then call BBB? I wouldn't let them do any work on the car ever again, but put in a complaint at least.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Being an experienced window tint installer (located in NC) this is unfortunate to hear and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. GTI rear windows are incredibly hard to do, but absolutely not impossible!

A few suggestions:
1. Attempt reasoning with the owner and if that doesn't work drop a few hints about poor reviews, BBB complaints and small claims court.

2. If you paid with your credit card, call the company and have them revoke the charge. The company may fight you but as long as you have reason it shouldn't be a problem. Take your car to an automotive glass company and get an estimate for replacement glass. After that take it to a DIFFERENT window tint company (preferably one with the same product type) and get thorough documentation that the film is poorly installed and the windows are damaged likely by the film installer. At least you'll get your money back.

3. Sometimes scratched glass can be repaired. General rule of thumb is if the scratches are within one inch of the edge of the glass or black border (on the rear window) you're good to go.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
201 Posts
This would be my advice. Most likely, you will not get your money back without a fight just by the struggle this guy has already put up. If you paid by credit card, that will make the fight easier. If you did not, BBB will act as a middle man in the resolution. Make sure you have plenty of pictures and keep insisting that you get your money back for the lack of quality for the job done. Don't let them try to blame it on you for "not listening to them" when that is something that cannot be proved by them. For example, they did not put a tape on the windows that would tear if the window had been moved. If you are concerned about the window, make sure you bring that up as well (this will definitely not get paid for without at least the BBB but most likely small claims court).

I had to deal with the BBB, you need to be persistent because the BBB will not fight to get your money back. Literally, they just forward your complaint to the company, waits for a response and forwards the response to you and asks if the issue has been resolved. If not, you respond back and forth and so on. I had to go back and forth 4 times over a $25 charge a bank put on my account that never should have been put on there. I finally got what I wanted because I did not give up.

For the future, the BBB is really kind of a joke in a sense because if a business doesn't like their rating because of complaints they can just revoke their association with the BBB, so its typically best not to shop around with on a BBB grade factored in.

Being an experienced window tint installer (located in NC) this is unfortunate to hear and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. GTI rear windows are incredibly hard to do, but absolutely not impossible!

A few suggestions:
1. Attempt reasoning with the owner and if that doesn't work drop a few hints about poor reviews, BBB complaints and small claims court.

2. If you paid with your credit card, call the company and have them revoke the charge. The company may fight you but as long as you have reason it shouldn't be a problem. Take your car to an automotive glass company and get an estimate for replacement glass. After that take it to a DIFFERENT window tint company (preferably one with the same product type) and get thorough documentation that the film is poorly installed and the windows are damaged likely by the film installer. At least you'll get your money back.

3. Sometimes scratched glass can be repaired. General rule of thumb is if the scratches are within one inch of the edge of the glass or black border (on the rear window) you're good to go.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live right up behind this place in Baldwin and these guys are a bunch of cocks. They over charge and use ****ty tint. I would never take my car to them to do the simplest of tasks. It's a bunch of young guys who think they know everything there is to know about cars.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I live right up behind this place in Baldwin and these guys are a bunch of cocks. They over charge and use ****ty tint. I would never take my car to them to do the simplest of tasks. It's a bunch of young guys who think they know everything there is to know about cars.
Glad I'm not alone here. I'm going to be stopping by today to talk to the owner. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:

So I just left the shop and talked to the shop owner, Mark. I went up to the counter and told him that I wanted a refund for the windows because they had already been screwed up twice and I didn't trust them to do them a third time. He of course said that they don't offer refunds and that it's stated on the receipt. I told him that you have to inform the customer BEFORE they purchase the item that it can't be returned, not after. You can't give them the item, take their money, and then tell them it can't be returned. After hearing this he agreed to give me a 75% refund. I told him that wasn't good enough and I was going to get the full refund. Next I brought up the scratches on the windows and we went out to look at them. Upon seeing all the scratches he agreed to giving me a full refund. Then I asked about him paying to have them repaired/replaced and he immediately said no. He even tried the ol' "this is a used car so they could have been there" trick. After I pointed out that the scratches outlined where the tint was you could tell he knew that his shop was at fault. Yet he still refused to pay for repairs or replacements. So that's when I dropped the "small claims court" line. His response was "if you're going to threaten me with small claims court, I won't even refund your money." We then went on to argue back and forth about how if his shop is responsible then they should have to pay. He then told me to get an estimate on having the glass repaired/replaced and call him. He said that he would turn it into his shop insurance AND refund me the price of the tint. So basically it went from him saying "we don't give refunds" to "get an estimate and we'll refund you". Now I'm just worried what they're gonna do with my car for the two hours I have to leave it there. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Update:

So I just left the shop and talked to the shop owner, Mark. I went up to the counter and told him that I wanted a refund for the windows because they had already been screwed up twice and I didn't trust them to do them a third time. He of course said that they don't offer refunds and that it's stated on the receipt. I told him that you have to inform the customer BEFORE they purchase the item that it can't be returned, not after. You can't give them the item, take their money, and then tell them it can't be returned. After hearing this he agreed to give me a 75% refund. I told him that wasn't good enough and I was going to get the full refund. Next I brought up the scratches on the windows and we went out to look at them. Upon seeing all the scratches he agreed to giving me a full refund. Then I asked about him paying to have them repaired/replaced and he immediately said no. He even tried the ol' "this is a used car so they could have been there" trick. After I pointed out that the scratches outlined where the tint was you could tell he knew that his shop was at fault. Yet he still refused to pay for repairs or replacements. So that's when I dropped the "small claims court" line. His response was "if you're going to threaten me with small claims court, I won't even refund your money." We then went on to argue back and forth about how if his shop is responsible then they should have to pay. He then told me to get an estimate on having the glass repaired/replaced and call him. He said that he would turn it into his shop insurance AND refund me the price of the tint. So basically it went from him saying "we don't give refunds" to "get an estimate and we'll refund you". Now I'm just worried what they're gonna do with my car for the two hours I have to leave it there. :(
Yeah I don't think it would be a great idea to leave the car alone, man up and stay the two hours to watch over your ride.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update:

I went to an auto glass place yesterday for an estimate and he said they were too badly scratched to be repaired. Turns out that OE glass is about $30 cheaper per piece than aftermarket so I went to my local dealership to see about ordering the pieces in. Then I gave Mark a call to give him the price and see what he wanted to do. He was being very calm and kept apologizing for the bad tint job and the scratches. He called the VW dealer himself and paid for the glass over the phone with his card. I have an appointment to get the tint removed tomorrow and to get my money back. Then when I take the car to have the glass put in he's going to pay for that too. Just thankful that it ended up this way rather than in court.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.