VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation. I have a project which I have ahead of modifying my white/black 2002 Cabrio GLX. It is possible I may encounter a windfall to upgrade the Cabrio without it interfering with the budget of Project One.
I want my Cabrio to be sort of subtle -- a bit of a sleeper. I have most of my plans already set except in some cases what brand to be used. There will be no body kits or add-ons such as wings.
The plan is to supercharge the 2.0. I'm leaning towards VF's s/c but there are two others in the running. The Cabrio will be lowered some, perhaps 1½ inches. The disk brakes will be changed and they will allow for five-lug wheels. I will go with 16-inch BBS RXII wheels with the VW emblem straight from VW parts. The exhaust system will be changed to a Jetex cat-back system because my research tells me that performance system keeps the sound closer to stock than the others. The only visual clue will be the two-pipe exhaust tip.
I have clear tails and side markers on it already. All other mods will be out of sight even to the trained eye.
As you know, the name CABRIO is on the left side of the trunk lid. My question to everyone is whether to change it, eliminate it, add to it, or leave it alone.
I have different badges including a couple of 2.0 badges from Europe which I can use to create what I have below. The suggestions are LEFT and RIGHT oriented. I am making this an open poll so other suggestions may be added.
Thanks, and have fun.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Re: Badgering for badging opinions (oasis)

My GTI is totally debadged (I like that look), but for a total sleeper look, IMO I would just leave the original badge there.
Good luck, and post some pics when you get a chance! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Re: Badgering for badging opinions (vwgtipowr)

debadged, re-badged,
going to debadge soon
smoke it, drop it, tint it, and debadge it.
be a little mysterious...why not.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Badgering for badging opinions (vwgtipowr)

I put the suggestions I received in my tentative order. One suggestion I had left off was the one someone suggested to me to get a Mercedes bagde which says KOMPRESSOR. At this point, I may be leaning towards vwgtipowr's suggestion of leaving it as is. (I can always change it.)
Thanks to all who voted and/or commented.
Quote, originally posted by vwgtipowr »
... but for a total sleeper look, IMO I would just leave the original badge there.
Good luck, and post some pics when you get a chance! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I will.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Badgering for badging opinions (R3)

I see since my last gander (I hope this doesn't inspire a gandergandergander.com of some sort), four more votes went to badgeless and a new selection -- GOLF and 2.0 -- was added. Interesting.
So as of this posting, the votes are 12-4-1. I'm surprised no one voted for CABRIO and 2.SLOW. I thought it was humorous although admittedly, it was my third choice.
GOLF and 2.0? Why? (Just curious.)

·
Banned
45 Posts
Re: Badgering for badging opinions (oasis)

Don't use the Golf 2.0 unless you are gonna run other euro spec parts (just my opinion). Either go debaged (how mine is now, or stay stock). All that other stuff would be a waste of a perfectly good deck lid. Its really all about what you want, personally I am not about defacing my car and that is what some of those options seam like to me. The 2.0SC would be pretty cool (as long as all the letters were the same style as they are supposed to be on the MK4). The only reason I would suggest the SC is because you already have the clear tails so any car enthusiast will already see those and know you have made mods.
Lastly don't use the Kompressor, dont like the idea at all, VW badge or no badge. There is a MK3 Jetta around here that is running all BMW badges and it has done nuthing but piss everyone off.
In the end you probably shouldnt have posted this thread, figured out what you wanted on your own and made yourself happy. Don't worry about what other people think (especially not on Vortex). Anything that is an appearance mod should be YOUR decision, also if it is a good idea you don't wanna give it to the next guy cuz come show time he may be parked right next to you rocking the same damn badge. Thats why the only people that know about my plans dont drive cabrios.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Badgering for badging opinions (NorCAVWLuver)

Quote, originally posted by NorCAVWLuver »
Don't use the Golf 2.0 unless you are gonna run other euro spec parts ...

So I gather from your response the answer to my "why" is that Euro-spec Cabbies are like this.
... as long as all the letters were the same style as they are supposed to be on the MK4...
... don't use the Kompressor ...

I didn't include KOMPRESSOR because I didn't want another brand badge, and there is no K in the G4/J4/C3.5/etc. font.
... Don't worry about what other people think ...

I was wondering; not worrying. My Cabrio isn't about being the most unique anyway. (My Super Beetle will take on that aspect a bit more although there won't be one individual mod 'cept maybe color which will be unique by itself.) This all got started in my head because I changed my mind a couple of times. Besides, it's not like whatever I decide is irreversible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts