VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Complete noob to air suspension and my first build. Purchased a two month old AirLift Performance suspension from a Vortex member "blackohio", very pleased with the purchase it's like new without paying the full retail price, thanks Corey! At 58 yrs old, never to old to play with cars. LOL

2015 Passat Highline TDI Platinum Gray , 18" wheels (looking at a set of 19" x 8" "Concave" - TSW Mirabeau wheels to replace these)

May 24-15

Got started today on the build, cut and assembled raised platform

Mocked up the air tank and compressor

Used 3/8"-16 tee nuts to mount the air tank

Mounted air compressor used acorn nut for a finished look

Fit tested the platform in the trunk

Tomorrow getting a piece of aluminum cut and bent to mount air management ECU and other components, mount the tank drain solenoid and bulkhead, carpet the raised platform. Tuesday getting the air tank hydrodipped and clear coated.

May 25-15

More progress today, installed trunk carpet on the raised platform, installed the tank drain solenoid

Stripped the split loom of the harness and installed flex loom, secured the compressor relay, installed terminal strip

Fabricated and installed grommet plate for main harness

Fabricated and installed grommet plate for compressor

Fabricated and installed the bulkhead plate these are to exit the raised platform and routed to the bags. They'll be another set of bulkhead on the top side for airline from the ECU to the upper bulkheads. Aluminum plate for mounting the ECU is being fabricated and bent today.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks. It is my second VW, traded in a 2012 GTI. I have bought around 20 cars in my life and this is the first time I have ever bought two from the same maker in a row. So far been happy with the VW product.
Have not posted any pictures yet. For now It is lowered on H&R springs and have spacers on the stock wheels. I have new 19" wheels ordered. Once they show up early next week I will be posting some pictures. I still have to figure out how to post pictures on this forum. The TSW you mention look nice, I almost ordered TSW Bathurst for my car.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks. It is my second VW, traded in a 2012 GTI. I have bought around 20 cars in my life and this is the first time I have ever bought two from the same maker in a row. So far been happy with the VW product.
Have not posted any pictures yet. For now It is lowered on H&R springs and have spacers on the stock wheels. I have new 19" wheels ordered. Once they show up early next week I will be posting some pictures. I still have to figure out how to post pictures on this forum. The TSW you mention look nice, I almost ordered TSW Bathurst for my car.
Here is a video on how to post pictures on a forum using Photobucket, it's the service I use and it's free. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UxjW7Aq_eU

May 26th-15

Not much done today was in Ottawa, got some prices from the TSW Mirabeau wheels and dropped of the air tank at Sketchs Ink for hydrographics Buying TSW is not happening if I want to stay married! Mmmm let think about this LOL. I'm not spending 4,000.00 for wheels and tires, so back to the drawing board. Tonight I found Bentley Flying Spurs freshly refinished with two new centre caps (worth 350.00 a piece). and two week old tires. Off too see them tomorrow night.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Will you be able to tuck those? You think you will need spacer to clear suspension with the 9" and ET41? I ordered 19"x 9.5" ET42 and was thinking I will not need a spacer. I am lowered on H&R springs which is not a huge drop. You think I will be fine without a spacer?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a pictures of the Passat CC the wheel are on presently it's also bagged. Owner suggested 5mm spacer for the front rear is perfect says he can't even fit a pinky figure in the gap when aired out. The car is notched which I'm not going to do just for re-sale purposes. You should be fine with what you ordered I'm thinking you shouldn't need spacers. Fit them and measure gap and see.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
By the end of July, I'm waiting for tank to come back and it won't be ready till June 6th. I leave for work this coming Sunday and won't return till July 16th so build going to be on hold till then. Wheels I'm probably going to swap if I purchase them tonight.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Glad to find your build thread here Jack!!!

You're off to a very good start! The mounting plate is really clean like that!

Hope you're happy with your last night's purchase ;)

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Glad to find your build thread here Jack!!!

You're off to a very good start! The mounting plate is really clean like that!

Hope you're happy with your last night's purchase ;)
Hey Jon yes I'm really pleased with last night purchase and today's with Jesse! Was nice meeting you and looking forward to meeting Jessy.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
May 28th- 15

A bit of progress today got the two pieces from sheet metal shop late today so got as much done until mosquitos started eating me alive. Got the ECU, pressure gauge mounted, the bulkheads drilled and installed (short two bulkheads). Aluminum still needs so squaring up and once it's all mocked up it will be polished and clear coat it.

The S.S. piece at the rear is going to be the hose and harness cover once mounted in the trunk

These are the wheels I picked up last night, thanks Jon!

The fitment looks like it's going to work out if anything small wheel spacers.

This shot good for a laugh stick her in 4x4 LOL! Wheel look lost in the wheel wells at stock height!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Oh wow! Lol!

You were right! They look lost in those massive wheel wells

From what i see with the fit, a tiny 5mm spacer would do the trick for a flush/tuck look.

Can't wait to see it on the ground ;)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.