VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1980 Caddy Diesel I picked up cheap locally. Going for OEM+ daily driver.

Dixieland horns

Rear axle flip and some Racelands up , along with a mint set of Pepperpots with some toyo 195-45-15

Decided to stick with the diesel. Picked up a 1.6D cheap locally. In the process of cleaning it up. With a few shiny parts and a minor wire tuck.

Going to be painted Bali green. a few other goodies

·
Registered
306 Posts
Re: Balla' Status Caddy Project (jonk080)

Quote, originally posted by jonk080 »
nice man. going to be picking up a diesel caddy myself in a few hours. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

good luck. only thing i'm going to be picking up in a few hours is a shovel

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Re: (D.E)

Quote, originally posted by D.E »
Very nice. But why did you change the early westy core support for rounds?

I'm glad he got rid of the early westy.....there have been faarrr too many caddys with the early westy front ends lately IMO.....personally I'm a late westy guy, but noone seems to like those when they do projects

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Re: (drtbmxer)

Quote, originally posted by drtbmxer »

I'm glad he got rid of the early westy.....there have been faarrr too many caddys with the early westy front ends lately IMO.....personally I'm a late westy guy, but noone seems to like those when they do projects

yeah because no one does rounds....

if he wanted to be original he should have put later model squares on it...no one does projects with those anymore...
oh and i hope your front bearings are ok, not the best idea to put weight on them without axles in them

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Re: (A1steaksauce)

Quote, originally posted by A1steaksauce »

yeah because no one does rounds....

if he wanted to be original he should have put later model squares on it...no one does projects with those anymore...
oh and i hope your front bearings are ok, not the best idea to put weight on them without axles in them

I agree with both of your points about the rounds and the late squares.....as I said above....Just caddy's specifically have been popping up alot with the early squares.....

and again I also agree about the front wheel bearings.....
they may not be in the best of shape now

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Re: (deathhare.)

As long as you don't just "drop it down" and if you don't roll it, setting it on the bearings for a bit carefully won't hurt them. Just don't leave it sitting like that for too long.

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
Re: (backinthegame)

Quote, originally posted by backinthegame »
As long as you don't just "drop it down" and if you don't roll it, setting it on the bearings for a bit carefully won't hurt them. Just don't leave it sitting like that for too long.

Thats the thing...you can just lower it flatly unless it was on a lift.
One side coming down at an angle from the jack will kill them
Ive done it.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (MarsRedScirocco16v)

Quote, originally posted by D.E »
Very nice. But why did you change the early westy core support for rounds?

I changed it because it was dented bent, and was rotting away at points. It was really the only part of the truck that was rusted. I had the round support sitting in my garage. along with headlights, grill etc. Not really going Euro per say. Just what I had available and I'm partial to rounds.

As for the wheel bearings. The DS has part of the CV axle still in it. The PS doesn't but i'm careful with it and I have new ones if I need to put them in.

Modified by DustyGTI at 10:40 AM 2-6-2010

·
Banned
3,671 Posts
Re: FV-QR (dubdaze68)

Quote, originally posted by dubdaze68 »
Dodge Shelby rims are not "Pepperpots".

yes they are. they're Omni 'pepperpots'.

Yay for another Bali Green Caddy! So much originality in this thread I love it!
And the air horn placement is absolutely terrible.

·
Registered
22,841 Posts
Re: FV-QR (blown020)

They're commonly referred to as swiss cheese wheels, the later ones are known as pizza wheels, Manhole covers. Later GLH-S's had Shelby Centurion wheels. Pepperpot is a specific name given to either the ATS or MOMO version.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.