VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
How expensive is it to have a 2018 SEL professionally chrome deleted with black vinyl? I really like the blacked out look... 馃槂

Registered
I can't comment on getting that particular job done professionally, but if you want to do it yourself, BadgeSkins has kits that are pre-cut for the various chrome pieces. I personally ordered vinyl to do it myself with the help of a friend that has done some vinyl before.

To get a clear-bra done professionally, I spent $1,200 for full front-end coverage. I imagine blacking out the chrome pieces should be less than that.

Registered
About that much for chrome delete from quotes I have heard for other cars in similar size.. 800-1200

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Registered
About that much for chrome delete from quotes I have heard for other cars in similar size.. 800-1200

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
At that price is cheaper to buy a new black trim(from a black edition) from a dealer.

I say do it yourself. If you never done vynil then spend extra $20 on more material to learn. For example 3M 1080 or 3M 2080 vynil is not expensive.

Registered
This is not something you can get a general estimate over the internet unfortunately. Get a couple numbers and get quotes from local shops. I have been quoted 150-200 for standard black out of window trim on a 4 door vehicle before.

I will echo what others have said, DIY is not as hard for flat, smooth surfaces. The complex pieces like mirror caps where the vinyl needs to be stretched with heat etc is not as easy.

I have always done basic trim pieces myself and usually get them 95% the way there.

recommendations:
-get good quality vinyl (3m or similar)
-get some utility knives (harbor freight sells a kit)
-heat gun or blow dryer
-get more vinyl then you need
-always start with a bigger piece of vinyl for the part as it till shrink when you heat it/wrap it around curves etc
-if doing window trim, work in sections and use plastic tools to hide the seem behind the rubber/trim/mounding etc

Registered
if you are willing to do it yourself, it is worth watching some youtube videos and giving it a shot. the amount of money you'll spend on materials (even if you fail a couple of times) will be significantly less than what you'll pay. I was thinking about getting my roof wrapped in black, and the cheapest i could find in my area was about $350. if i were to do it myself, i could do so for less than $75

1 - 7 of 7 Posts