VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the locals have had it. Sadly the actions of some asshats reflect on all of us. I didn't go this time, broke some bones and am not even supposed to drive. https://www.change.org/p/city-of-he...y-chamber-of-commerce-ban-southern-worthersee
I don't understand why in the hell there can't be a cop on every corner. I'd rather see that than this ridiculousness. Unfortunately for Matt, the show seems to be the easy part, dealing with backlash and the wrongdoings of asshats will likely take the most amount of time and effort.

well, there's always NOLA. At least the cops there know how to deal with crowds and drunks.

·
Registered
41,655 Posts
We have this discussion every year, but I do agree this year got absolutely ridiculous. Last night Main Street was a parking lot of people. Multiple fights, chicks flashing each other, cars launching into full crowds of people, massive burn outs in front of cops, etc.

The roads were blocked off to prevent burn outs and launches, which caused even more issues, because the locals/ tourists couldn't get out the city easily. So everyone was being funneled on one road, which then attracted crowds. My group stays at the same spot every single year, and this year we had hundreds of people outside of our hotel, and we even had jackasses come take over the patios of our cabins... WTF guys. Average age was teens....

It really comes down to Helen PD just not being equipped to deal with this. I would never, ever expect HPD to be-able to handle this.

I say we move it to Atlanta/ Turner Field and see how APD treats us... :laugh:

Each year we piss off the locals and the city officials. I am not sure if this year broke the camels back, but it very well could have.

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Internet hearsay is running wild.

Locals have reportedly started a petition to stop the show, but these are most likely the same people who have done this every year since the show started. Helen is a small GA town, and there are a number of locals who don't like the show period, and / or are pissed that it wasn't their idea and / or they aren't the ones making ALL the money off it. Boss Hogg mentality, for lack of a better term.

I haven't seen or heard about any business or homes being torched, nor any police cars getting flipped and set on fire, so the claim of their town getting "destroyed" is a little weak. Like "get off my lawn you dedburn kids". Helen plays host to a couple bike events during the year, you know those aren't peaceful family-oriented weekends.

The story about Corvette guy's gunplay appears to be true. He was pulled out of his car and cuffed by HPD. Also from all reports he is a local, not that it makes any difference at this point. SoWo attendees will get blamed for his actions regardless of what the truth turns out to be.

Not sure about houses getting broken into. We will see if there is any evidence to back up the claims. But again, truth doesn't matter because we're all convicted in the court of popular opinion.

Burnouts yes. HPD and GSP reportedly gave a free pass to do burnouts for a period of time, then were powerless to stop it when that time limit was reached.

People all out in the streets, yes. Drunk / drugged people aren't too concerned with checking themselves. Crowd control should have been tighter. Either by law enforcement or simple common courtesy. Like "hey drunk guy, get your ass out the street".

Fights. Getting to be more of a problem lately. Young people + alcohol = dudes squaring up over nothing.

Guess that #savesowo and #savetheeuros added up to jack ****, huh? In the eyes of Helen GA, we're all guilty of destroying their town, and not letting them make enough money off the show.

IMO SoWo had a good run but once again the scene is killing itself. I don't expect the city to grant a permit for 2016. Until it's legal to put everybody under 25 in the gas chamber, I'm not sure what the solution is.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solution? Bigger police presence, Ga Public Safety or Emergency management has the resources to handle it, the city needs to do whatever it takes to make it happen. do like OCP , does, put people in jail and impound cars for the weekend. Chicken**** maybe, but it may stop the bs and enhance the show for the people that actually came for the show and culture

·
Premium Member
04 R32, 19 Golf R
88,069 Posts
Definitely need more police enforcement.

Show organizers are making $20 per car so let them front the costs to bring in more law enforcement and fire police to direct traffic.

Just unreal...

·
Registered
41,655 Posts
Definitely need more police enforcement.

Show organizers are making $20 per car so let them front the costs to bring in more law enforcement and fire police to direct traffic.

Just unreal...
I was shocked at how lax the police were. And as stated above that is what started causing issues. We had a police sanctioned burn out pit with a few officers standing there, but then the time limit hit and the crowd kept growing. This year I saw WAY WAY less police pressence than the previous years, which is crazy, because we knew this year would be huge.

Last year there were cops everywhere, and a full force of GSP as well. I didn't see a single GSP, and every officer there looked retired/ reserve duty.

Can they really not hire private security/ pay for other Georgia POST LEOs to moonlight?

But again this convo happens every single year. OMG destruction, riots, chaos, ban SoWo...

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I would not be surprised if it was banned..especially with the incedent involving
That guy in the orange vet. Guy was cocaine or something...

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
The guy was not local..he was from gwinette county. He turned out to be a paralegal

And goes back to another post I made about other car groups coming in...

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Meanwhile, minding my own business, my 2000 Golf was vandalized overnight between Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Was parked out back behind Super 8 because I couldn't get a parking spot at the hotel on Saturday night.

Photos below. If you have any info, please let me know.

Gööse :)

·
Premium Member
04 R32, 19 Golf R
88,069 Posts
^ So messed up.

My buddy parked back there with his three piece wheel (flat tire) in his back seat... he caught idiots shining flash lights into cars after hours back there.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Nothing but a bunch of punk ass kids acting stupid. The first and the last times I came to the event I brought my 87 Sirocco 16v and quite frankly I did not like it and have not gone back since. All I saw was young drunk and stupid kids driving like *******s.
I was on my 20s once and I understand being drunk and stupid is fun but come on. This is a event for German cars to show off and not your girlfriends boobys. I have a family and I will not come back until its cleaned up. No wonder the police act like jerks. :peace:
Most are GTIs owners that have not concept of VW pride or passion...

I am just saying ..

·
Registered
211 Posts
The guy was not local..he was from gwinette county. He turned out to be a paralegal

And goes back to another post I made about other car groups coming in...
I am from Gwinnett and consider that to be local. It isn't much more than an hour away. I left Helen way before it got dark and missed most of the shenanigans.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
^ So messed up.

My buddy parked back there with his three piece wheel (flat tire) in his back seat... he caught idiots shining flash lights into cars after hours back there.
Really? That's messed up. SMDH

Why must the bad apples spoil the fun for everyone else?

Gööse :)

·
Registered
18,545 Posts
It's a shame that the solution has to be increased police presence, rather than people just not acting like fucking morons...but this is what it has come to...any and all good show ruined by those that don't know how to conduct themselves.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
This was the second year I didn't make it down and if this is the way its going to be from now on it doesn't look like I will head back. it seems like the "golden age" of the "scene has come and past:(

Btw the father/parental figure of the girl flashing and being felt up by everyone must be very proud and I hope that wasn't her BF under her. If that was :banghead::facepalm:

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
any parental figure*

valid point sir:beer:

1 - 20 of 100 Posts