VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts
10,943 Posts
It wont happen so dont worry about it. We should just start policing the little ****bois better ourselves. The mommy and daddy trustfund babies are ruining the show. :beer:

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
the thing is the people how hype these people up seem to out weight the amount of people who disapprove :banghead:

·
Registered
766 Posts
the thing is the people how hype these people up seem to out weight the amount of people who disapprove :banghead:
if enough people start speaking up it should catch on. Especially with how H2o and now Sowo are running into the same issue the crowds will turn against the instagram famers soon enough. just need to stick to your guns and tell them to phuck off:)

·
Sausage King of Chicago
100,671 Posts
there seems to be a lot of "locolas/people from the area" stepping up and saying that the "local" people caused more harm then the sowo crowd, so that's a plus.
We spent a considerable amount of time talking to locals after the show, and this kind of sums it up. The local business owners and people who work in Helen were happy to have us. One store owner even told us he made 4x his typical annual revenue just this weekend.

And while they agree that it got a little out-of-pocket on Saturday night, they have no grudge and would like it if (most of) us returned. The interesting thing that the business owners/employees also told us is that it's really just the older local residents who are the ones that are all up in arms about it. Apparently, they would like the whole area to remain quiet and quaint--fit for retirement--while the people who actually make their living there are happy for the revenue.

The petition is hyperbole, bordering on prevarication, and written by a resident and not a business owner. The worst burnout 'offenders' we noticed were also non-VAG cars with GA tags, and we were told that a lot of local d-bags came to deliberately start stuff and pick fights.

So take that FWIW.

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
We spent a considerable amount of time talking to locals after the show, and this kind of sums it up. The local business owners and people who work in Helen were happy to have us. One store owner even told us he made 4x his typical annual revenue just this weekend.

And while they agree that it got a little out-of-pocket on Saturday night, they have no grudge and would like it if (most of) us returned. The interesting thing that the business owners/employees also told us is that it's really just the older local residents who are the ones that are all up in arms about it. Apparently, they would like the whole area to remain quiet and quaint--fit for retirement--while the people who actually make their living there are happy for the revenue.

The petition is hyperbole, bordering on prevarication, and written by a resident and not a business owner. The worst burnout 'offenders' we noticed were also non-VAG cars with GA tags, and we were told that a lot of local d-bags came to deliberately start stuff and pick fights.

So take that FWIW.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
18,545 Posts

So take that FWIW.
just like @ H2O...a lot of the stupidity is people cruising the strip looking for it....all with MD, or DE tags

·
Registered
7,050 Posts

I got dragged along on multiple family outings to Dahlonega and Helen from the late 60's up through the early 80's.

The north Georgia mountain communities have always had conflict between needing the money from their tourism-based local economy, and the local people's hostility towards the tourists themselves.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
if enough people start speaking up it should catch on. Especially with how H2o and now Sowo are running into the same issue the crowds will turn against the instagram famers soon enough. just need to stick to your guns and tell them to phuck off:)
The only issue I see is that people are getting to the point where they rather not even go for the weekend anymore. I know I have spoke to a bunch of people and they say its to the point where they rather not waste the time and money on the weekend when its just going to turn in a "frat party" Maybe its just me and my group of friends getting older but I know I for one have no desire to go to Sowo if this it what it turns into

·
Registered
6,120 Posts

My parents actually went to Helen last July and they told me they ended up speaking with a lot of the shop owners and they where told how much they love SoWo.

I guess its like anything. You have the people who want to fight it and you have the people who are happy to have it. You will never get 100% on either side

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320
12,790 Posts
The only issue I see is that people are getting to the point where they rather not even go for the weekend anymore. I know I have spoke to a bunch of people and they say its to the point where they rather not waste the time and money on the weekend when its just going to turn in a "frat party" Maybe its just me and my group of friends getting older but I know I for one have no desire to go to Sowo if this it what it turns into
It's not hard to avoid the idiot antics down there (plenty of people we know avoided all of it and didn't even see it go down), plus you haven't been there in 2 years anyway :p

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
You are right its not, BUT I am not traveling 900 + miles to sit in a room with the same group of people I hang out with back home. I can save my time and money and just stay home and do the same thing

and what it ends up turning into is one of the reason I don't care I miss it :thumbup: ask greg he will tell you the same thing

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
There are more screen shots of the facebook father daughter battle that got sent to me last night but I am a little slow when it comes to uploading things from my phone on to a forum lmao. You can probably search the names and find it all

·
Registered
669 Posts
These where more screen shots of the facebook father daughter battle that got sent to me last night but I am a little slow when it comes to uploading things from my phone on to a forum lmao. You can probably search the names and find it all
Yup. That's what I'm doing now lol. I need to see that convo.

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
It gets pretty crazy to say the least

I am interested in seeing how h2oi goes this year after seeing this and considering the weekend got pushed back and a lot of people already had places booked for the sept weekend

41 - 60 of 100 Posts