VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
communities have always had conflict between needing the money from their tourism-based local economy, and the local people's hostility towards the tourists themselves.
This is nearly a truism for any small-ish community that relies on tourism money for part or all of their income. I grew up in a small town and vacationed in a small town that had the same exact issues.

As John mentioned, we stayed until Monday, and we talked to several local business owners and employees. I tried to make an apology a couple of times and explain that there are those of us who are very sorry for the behavior of the minority, and I actually got cut off a couple of times by the local who would explain that I didn't need to apologize, that they understood, and they were very happy to have us there. Several of them actually apologized back to me for the behavior of some of the local folks.

Personally, I think it's unfortunate that there is a segment of the population (and this is true of society in general, not just the "VW scene" or Georgia locals or whatever) who equate "having fun" with "doing whatever I want with no consequences or thought for anyone else." As long as that mentality persists (or is allowed to persist) there are going to be problems like this when you mix large crowds, cars, and alcohol.

My personal thanks to everyone who spent time cleaning up the town, apologizing to the locals, and generally doing some good PR work for the community. I just hope they decide to keep having us back in the future.

-Tim

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
My friends said it was a bunch of hyperbole, we typically don't do the downtown thing on show night though. I'd love to see the Facebook between the father and daughter

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
My friends said it was a bunch of hyperbole

It was actually pretty nuts. I was at the old time Chilis gatherings at Waterfest with the burnout pit, we've all seen H20 over the past few years.... I honestly think this was worse.

That said, I LOVE at this show that we went out to our cabin in the woods that night and were in peace and quiet, and woke up the next morning in such a nice tranquil atmosphere.

-Tim

·
Registered
182 Posts
When you travel to a city for a car show, whether it's SoWo or H2O, you should treat the city like you would a good friends house. You go, you have a good time, you clean up your mess. End of the day you're respectful to someone else's house and rules.
If you've trashed said friends house by pissing on their carpet, doing burnouts in their grass, throwing trash everywhere and scaring the neighbors with guns and thievery, you aren't allowed to come back. It doesn't matter if they make money off of you buying cups for beer out of the keg. It doesn't matter if you buy tools from them or stickers or pictures or just something they have that they're willing to let you have for money. At the end of the day, when you cause more monetary damage than they get from you, they run totally out of patience from your general lack of respect.
Maybe it isn't actually you doing anything physically to destroy or damage something in the house. Maybe it's a friend of yours, or a mutual friend or maybe a total stranger that made their way there; more than likely, you're still a problem. Why You? Did you cheer? Did you egg it on? Did you snap photos to passive-aggressively bitch on Facebook and Instagram and Twitter? Did you gather around just to watch, even if in disgust? Ask yourself if you managed to fuel the problem that occurred with attention while it was happening? Sure you didn't. So did you try to stop it? Did you do something about it? Did you say something about it to who was doing it? Did you make an attempt to clean up after it to make things right? Still nothing?
Then you deserve to sit back and bitch about how it can't be done anymore, since you probably just sat back and bitched about it while it was happening.
It's unfortunate for those who tried. The rest of us deserve to lose a good thing. That includes me, who gave up on it after going in '09 before it even got THIS bad. My scuffle with an idiot who tossed an empty beer can at a family in the river who complained about him pissing towards their daughter was enough. (**** you Jason).
/rant over.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Withholding judgment until I see a press release from SoWo Partners.

Until then I'll assume it's a junk news story planted by the same people behind the ban SoWo petition.
Ya Totally. Just a buddy sent me that thought I would share. Random site anyways.

10,943 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I think its pretty clear that what happens in OCMD cannot continue to get worse and have H2Oi continue. The joke was that all the idiots from H2Oi would go to SoWo, and that seems to more true than funny now.

If SoWo survives this and Helen allows it to return there will be no chance at all that 2016 will have better behaved attendees. Picking up trash and hashtags are absoluterly useless gestures.

Is there any large VW gathering that can survive this cancer?

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
waterfest seems to be doing ok as far as large shows that last a weekend. You can argue the show sucks but it still is not having these issues

I think the only way to stop this "cancer" from spreading would be to have it stop being "promoted" on social media. But I am not sure how or even if that would be possible. If the people that follow this kind of behavior do not see it happening there is no need to have it egged on

·
Registered
766 Posts
Good article i listened to the council meeting and they made it seem like the GSP bailed on them.:screwy:

"According to Perry, "As conditions inside the city of Helen deteriorated during the evening hours of May 16, the GSP on-scene commander communicated with city officials and offered to mobilize additional GSP personnel to enter the city to assist with crowd control. The offer to bring in additional troopers was declined.

"With only 14 available troopers, the decision was made to continue the original mission of traffic enforcement and monitoring with the understanding that GSP would enter the city if requested to do so to protect life or property," the statement reads. "GSP commanders never received a request for additional assistance. The 14-person traffic team remained in White County and was available to respond until 3 a.m. on May 17.""

·
Registered
18,910 Posts
fantastic when the biggest bunch of hardasses when it comes to law enforcement decide that its okay to pull out.

the bottom line is the only thing the city can do is refuse to rent the park and parking lots to SoWo Partners, bottom line. Any group of hundreds of people could pick any given weekend and start another gathering there or somewhere else, and as long as it gains traction it will become larger year of year. It is not even realistic to think that the hotels/restaurants will turn away that kind of boost in revenue

·
987.1 Cayman S, MK4 R32, S124 E320
12,790 Posts
fantastic when the biggest bunch of hardasses when it comes to law enforcement decide that its okay to pull out.

the bottom line is the only thing the city can do is refuse to rent the park and parking lots to SoWo Partners, bottom line. Any group of hundreds of people could pick any given weekend and start another gathering there or somewhere else, and as long as it gains traction it will become larger year of year. It is not even realistic to think that the hotels/restaurants will turn away that kind of boost in revenue
The GSP commander counters what was said in the Helen meeting and he doesn't sound too pleased about how they were painted

http://accesswdun.com/article/2015/5/311909/gsp-commander-says-helen-was-unprepared-for-sowo

·
Registered
766 Posts

"According to Perry, "As conditions inside the city of Helen deteriorated during the evening hours of May 16, the GSP on-scene commander communicated with city officials and offered to mobilize additional GSP personnel to enter the city to assist with crowd control. The offer to bring in additional troopers was declined."

61 - 80 of 100 Posts