VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
18,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've heard so many variations on this common theme - blend up your own concoction of [insert fruit] + [insert fluffy soft thing] + ATF and pour it into your automatic transmission to solve shifting and performance problems.

Has anyone, in the history of all things automotive, ever done this and actually had success? :laugh:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I would love to try one of these Bannana's you speak of.

·
Registered
22,287 Posts
Never heard of that. I also don't use additives in cars EXCEPT for one: Lucas oil trans leak & stop slip. That **** works awesome.

·
Registered
45,006 Posts
So I've heard so many variations on this common theme - blend up your own concoction of [insert fruit] + [insert fluffy soft thing] + ATF and pour it into your automatic transmission to solve shifting and performance problems.

Has anyone, in the history of all things automotive, ever done this and actually had success? :laugh:
I think you've got that a little wrong. Sawdust goes into manual transmissions to quiet noisy gears, for a couple of days, anyway.

For further evidence of this, see "The Andy Griffith Show" when Barney bought a used car from Grandma Walton. :)

Here's a synopsis from IMDB:

Barney makes the decision to buy a car for the first time. He sees an ad in the paper that sounds just like what he's looking for and when the seller comes to Andy's house, he's more convinced than ever. The vendor is a little old lady whose husband has recently died. She claims the car was only ever driven a low speed and that it just breaks her heart to sell it. Andy advises caution and suggests that he have Wally the mechanic give the car a once over but Barney won't hear of it. The old woman has him wrapped around her little finger so tight that he even overpays for the car. Not surprisingly, the car breaks down the next day when he take her out for the first time. When Gomer checks it out, he finds saw dust in the transmission, used to keep it all running smoothly for a few days and a sure sign he was taken for a ride. They soon find exactly what that old lady has been up to.
Here's the episode link

·
Registered
23,270 Posts
you cant put anything in an automatic, it would clog the valve bodies almost immediately, but in manuals sawdust will temporarily quiet the gears down a bit.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
you cant put anything in an automatic, it would clog the valve bodies almost immediately, but in manuals sawdust will temporarily quiet the gears down a bit.
:thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts