VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was browsing craigslist and came across an 89 Cabriolet here in Vermont for stupid cheap money. I was intrigued by the one picture of car an arranged a meet up today to see the car. We drove the two hours north with very low expectations as these cars just disintegrate here in the salt. As we pulled into driveway I'm already saying to my wife "we are taking this home"......on with the pics . Hoping to do some minimal work this week and have it road ready for the summer and then start with the restoration this winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
939 Posts
That looks like a really nice starting point, and I'm not really a fan of convertibles of any make. Good score!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
us motorwork pumps appear to be good quality.
lifetime warranty and a good price.

If i wasnt worried about more junk getting sucked up into this pump. Id keep it.

Ya of this was a questionable car if do that. However tank is spotless so I’m going original Bosch. Why is it rock auto seems to beat damn near everyone of my wholesalers at the shop on price ? Just wish their shipping wasn’t so “ sporadic”

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ya of this was a questionable car if do that. However tank is spotless so I’m going original Bosch. Why is it rock auto seems to beat damn near everyone of my wholesalers at the shop on price ? Just wish their shipping wasn’t so “ sporadic”
Yah I'm kind of annoyed I didnt start using rockauto till recently. Killer prices for a lot of good parts.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Very nice score! I have a soft spot for Cabriolets and have owned a couple.

RockAuto shipping seems sporadic because they have several warehouses, so if you have multiple parts in the cart it's possible they are each shipping from a different location. And unfortunately, RA won't eat shipping costs, so it all hits the final price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also just picked up a great Cabriolet, and I'm in the process of getting it back on the road! I'm also up here in salt country, I'd be curious to know what you paid and where you're located! Send me a note sometime if you'd like to share!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today’s first shipment of parts arrived ... really the only issue with car was rotten fuel system. Nothing 600 bucks in new pumps and an accumulator can’t fix. The hard part was that damn hose from the pump to accumulator.... MK1autohaus was out of stock. Ground off old crimps and found some 300psi fuel line in my stash. Will use crush clamps to crimp and we will be good to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not seeing an accumulator unit on my Cabriolet! Can someone direct me to where that should be? The fuel system diagrams I've looked at don't show where it's actually located.

Damn I'm hoping that's not another part I need to buy!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'm not seeing an accumulator unit on my Cabriolet! Can someone direct me to where that should be? The fuel system diagrams I've looked at don't show where it's actually located.

Damn I'm hoping that's not another part I need to buy!
I know I should have one, and I dont.

"fuel accumulator keeps up the pressure in the fuel system after the car is shut off. if you have to crank the car a lot before it fires, it could be a bad fuel accumulator "

only time it takes a few extra cranks is when its super hot out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Seo, you are Seomaster to me, I hope you know this!

So this means I can just hook up my external pump in line and I should be fine, for now at least?

I just want to get it on the road, and then I'll fix the other stuff as I'm enjoying it!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Seo, you are Seomaster to me, I hope you know this!

So this means I can just hook up my external pump in line and I should be fine, for now at least?

I just want to get it on the road, and then I'll fix the other stuff as I'm enjoying it!
I am but a humble idiot trying his best to learn. But ty. I Feel you.
I'm all stressed on my project too. Sometimes best to just step away for a minute.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Can you confirm if you have CIS (mechanical fuel injection) or Digifant (EFI)?

Being an '89 it should be Digifant EFI and I think that the fuel accumulators were only a CIS part. I could be wrong on this, I had an '88 that was CIS and had the accumulator. Digifant is a more "normal" EFI system and is thankfully less complicated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine is an '85.5 Cab, which I've always believed has CIS. But I could also be wrong!

I just watched this video and this car has both the pump and accumulator and the housings they are held inside. Unfortunately I don't have those pieces, either!

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
vwster, I mixed you with the OP who has an '89 which is probably Digifiant II EFI. A photo will tell for sure.

Yes, your '85.5 will have CIS. Technically it's K-Jetronic according to cabby-info, but most people just call it CIS unless you're getting into the technical conversation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts