VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm experiencing a battery drain on my 2000 Golf 4 1,9 TDI.

The other day, the car started just fine and ran like normal. It was a 35 minutes drive home, where I left it parked. The next morning the car was completely dead - no central locking, no interior lights or dashboard lights, no ignition.. I went to work via public transportation but when I got home in the afternoon I measured the voltage across the battery to 0,2V! No wonder it seemed dead..

About 17 hours had passed from when I parked the car until I tried to start it in the morning. The battery is a 66 Ah battery so to drain the battery in 17 hours there must have been a power draw of at least around 4 Amps?

After recharging the battery for around 8 hours, I installed it in the car and after some debugging with measuring voltages and currents in different places, I have found that the fuse "S180" in the box on top of the battery, has a voltage across it of 8-9 mV. This is with all doors closed and locked, no ignition or anything.

The S180 is a green 30 amp fuse and used for the "Coolant Fan" - it is part of a 3-wire plug. Using some "Fuse Voltage Drop Charts" I have found on some Golf 4 troubleshooting searching, I can read that a 8-9 mV drop across this particular 30 amp fuse equals a current of 4-4,5 Amps?

I have tried taking out this S180 fuse and I then measure a current flow of 50-60 mA across the whole system, which is acceptable I would say? So it seems that this fuse is delivering the power to the drain as it is gone when I pull it out?

I have read several places that the S180 fuse is for the "Coolant Fan" - does this mean the fans on the radiator (both large and small)? Does it have anything to do with the airconditioning?

Does anyone have a diagram of where the S180 fuse goes? I have a suspicion that it goes to a "Fan Control Module" sitting under the battery tray somewhere? I haven't had time to get under the car to look where the wire goes..

Oh, and the fans are not spinning..

Thanks in advance for any help,
Nicklas

·
Registered
657 Posts
https://i.imgur.com/hmwUxBG.jpg
The fan control module is below the left frame rail under the battery

24years experience as a technician
2003 MK4 GTI 1.8T K&W coilover suspension, GC Camber plates, SR R swaybar , TT brake upgrade, 3"TB exhaust, Meistro tuning, S3 strut bar, DV, VF Motor mounts and 034 pedelum race mount, TT front Brakes, WOTlabratory subframe and control ams.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have that fuse box diagram but thanks!

I guess my next step will be following the wire from the fuse box down to the fan control module, checking all the wires and plugs on the way to see if anything seems off.. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would give you the diagram if I knew the year model trans and engine code

2003 MK4 GTI 1.8T K&W coilover suspension, GC Camber plates, SR R swaybar , TT brake upgrade, 3"TB exhaust, Meistro tuning, S3 strut bar, DV, VF Motor mounts and 034 pedelum race mount, TT front Brakes, WOTlabratory subframe and control ams.

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would give you the diagram if I knew the year model trans and engine code

Yeah, maybe I didn't give enough specifics on the car, sorry.. It's a Golf 4, 1J1, 1.9 TDI (90 hp, code ALH) from 2000.

·
Registered
657 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.