VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a battery that has been sitting in my basement for probably close to a year and a half. It was working fine when I removed it but it's sat ever since. How long would this battery be good for? Can I just drop it in my car and charge it up and be good to go?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: Battery Life question (Jota)

I assume you are speaking of a standard wet cell battery, as opposed to a Absorption Glass Mat battery.
1.5 years is a while for a battery to sit. That being said:
If the fluid levels were maintained (you can look and see), you should be able to put it on a 1 amp trickle charge for 18 - 24 hours, and see if that brings it back to full health.

·
Banned
19,336 Posts
Re: Battery Life question (rick_chicago)

quote:[HR][/HR] see if that brings it back to full health.[HR][/HR]​
If it is indeed a standard wet cell, it doubt anything will bring it back to 100%. For every 10% the battery is drained, it looses about 5% of it's capacity. So if it's drained to 50%, the best if will come back to is about 75%. But for most applications, 75% is fine. So will the battery work after a good charge? yes, but is won't be 100%.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Re: Battery Life question (duandcc)

quote:[HR][/HR] So will the battery work after a good charge? yes, but is won't be 100%.[HR][/HR]​
I agree. Key is to make sure it's a slow and low charge. 1-2 amps over an extended period. Some less-expensive chargers only have higher settings, and that's precisely what you want to avoid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.