VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 86 scirocco with the 1.8 8v dx engine. my problem is that when i start the car the battery light stays on until i hit the gas. i don't have to press it hard, just a little and it will go out. also the other day i went out and tried to go somewhere and it would barely crank. i checked the vdc on the positive and negative terminals and its reading 12.09 running. i turned the car off and its 13.2 . also i can't hear the fuel pump in the tank until i actually crank the engine if i just turn the key to the on position i can't hear it. also when the car is running and i do push the gas the battery light goes out and the pump seems to get more power. i tested the vdc at the pump with the engine running and it is only 10.3 vdc. can someone help me figure this out? thx in advance

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I think it's just the way the alternators work. I've had 2 8v Sciroccos that both did that, always (the charge/batt light stays on until you blip the throttle) and I put about 250k miles on them total, they always did that. My '88 does it most of the time.
Once I remember not blipping the throttle as I was talking to some guy, after about 5 minutes the car died, and then wouldn't turn over. It push started ok though(?!). -that was probably some weird unrelated thing, but I always make sure to make that light go off shortly after startup now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (jimbilly)

yup i'm really hoping it is my battery (a lot less expensive) engine is smooth at startup but rough when it gets warm, any ieads? one more thing, does the old trick of disconnecting your battery while the car is running to test your alt work on these cars?

Modified by Myzon at 11:39 AM 9-23-2004

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I don't know if that trick works or not.
Have you had your battery tested? Does it seem to turn the motor over pretty easily on startup?, how old is the batt? Alternators in my area are about $75 US, batteries are about $40. They always try to sell a cheaper alternator, but I've learned to demand Bosch (well worth the extra $$).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (jimbilly)

unfortunatly in my area the alternator is 344.16. the battery is much cheaper (50-60) although now it's starting normally i guess it just seems like something is wrong because of the pump at a very low hum when i start it and it goes to a higher hum when i push the gas for the first time and stays there through driving. usually the car starts on the first crank and that crank doesn't seem like its labored.i don't know how old the batt or the alt is i just got the car a few weeks ago. the batt doesn't look old though the terminalt don't have any corrosion on them

Modified by Myzon at 12:20 PM 9-23-2004

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.