VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and read about people's battery dying around 30k miles. Yesterday, my car almost didnt start at 29k miles. Did a battery test today and they said it needs a recharge, but will need a new battery soon anyways.
Problem is, everywhere i called (pep boys, sears, napa, kragen..) no one carries the battery for the A3. For those of you who replaced your battery, where did you find them? Besides the dealer, who wanted $350.
Also, any info on group size or CCA would help.
thx.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Re: battery question (sniper27)

Group 34 R - Interstate has a fitment. I used an Optima red top - it's a tight fit, and you have to modify the + terminal, but they last a long time.

·
Registered
849 Posts
^ just get optima red top. The autozone battey I got was 140 with the core. But it wasn't those batteries they have on their shelves.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (yakkonvazn)

Quote, originally posted by yakkonvazn »
^ just get optima red top. The autozone battey I got was 140 with the core. But it wasn't those batteries they have on their shelves.

which one did you go to? i called a few autozone in glendale/burbank and they didn't have the optima. actually, they said they didn't even have any battery for the A3, like all the other places.

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,545 Posts
Re: (sniper27)

Yeah there is no app specified anywhere for the A3 it seems, looks like we just got forgotten.

A couple weekends ago I swapped in a 75/35 Red Top I had sitting aroudn (think they actually CALL it a 75/25 but the group size is 75/35--weird); went in with little difficulty. The terminals could actually be considered "reversed" on the stock battery compared to the Optima but on the Optima they are more in the middle rather than off to either side so it works out easy enough, you just have to push back the negative wire a bit.
The only thing was the battery hold-down notch didn't line up with the notch in the battery properly, well it did but putting it there the battery box cover wouldn't go back on because the battery was too far forward and the clasp on the box cover just hit the battery terminal. So I just moved the battery rearward a bit more (towards the pax compartment) and tightened down the hold down off the detent/notch and it still holds it fine.
The 34/34R looks like it fits (as someone mentioned above) but since it's larger it may be a little more trouble (mention of modifying the terminal?). I just figured "hey I got this 75/35 sitting around might as well put it in", and it fit as above--I don't see it as any harder than changing the OE battery for another OE battery anyway.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

my battery pooped on me at 32,000 miles. it was the factory battery. it started fine, drove to the store, went in, came out, turned key, car was dead. had to take a cab home, steal girlfriends car, buy battery in OTHER COUNTY, then install. was a great gift from audi :-(

·
Registered
849 Posts

Go to autozone online and search for the specific battery by inputting the type of vehicle. It should only be one battery option for it. Its for the quattro as well. I had to travel 20 mins to get mine at the Pico Rivera location right off the 605 on whittier blvd. The 24 hour stores should have them in stock. They serve as the inventory hub for all the regular autozones. 3 year replacement 8 year warranty. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It was $150 at the dealer here in Orlando... I too searched the other places and the dealer was the only place that had one that was assured to fit.
Despite what the dealer will tell you, you do not need to get the dealer to install it - just swap the battery - the only thing you will need to do is raise and lower each window a few times to set/activate the auto up/down feature.

·
Registered
849 Posts
o yea, the autozone battery is like 2mm thicker than the original battery. The sleeve will fit, but wont be able to lock it in place. you kind of just have to force it in last.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts

Happy with it?
Quote, originally posted by yakkonvazn »
o yea, the autozone battery is like 2mm thicker than the original battery. The sleeve will fit, but wont be able to lock it in place. you kind of just have to force it in last.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I got an interstate battery for cheap. There is a dealer where i live so it was very easy to find. 110 dollars has worked great since, i got mine at 39k.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

ok, after 5 days of searching, i found one at an Autozone. they didn't have the Duralast Gold, which has the 3 yr replacement warranty. they only had the regular Duralast with a 2yr replacement for $89. They swapped it in the parking lot for me. Total out the door was $100. Not bad at all compare to the dealer. I still can't believe how difficult it was to find a battery for the A3.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts

Would the battery for the GTI/Jetta GLI work? I thought this might be a good solution since it is essentially the same engine but far more common.

·
Registered
849 Posts
i am happy with mine. I don't know id the regular duralast was the exact specified battery, otherwise I would of bought that. did you use the battery type finder on their website? Some stores will tell you that it's the battery just based on the size. I guess it works too

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

they didn't have the Gold. just the regular duralast, but it was the same group 48, and it fit perfectly. ya, it's a little bigger than the factory battery, but it seems the factory is too small. the space fits the bigger battery perfectly.
i didnt think to check if the GTI/GLI battery works.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sniper27 »
Searched and read about people's battery dying around 30k miles. Yesterday, my car almost didnt start at 29k miles. Did a battery test today and they said it needs a recharge, but will need a new battery soon anyways.
Problem is, everywhere i called (pep boys, sears, napa, kragen..) no one carries the battery for the A3. For those of you who replaced your battery, where did you find them? Besides the dealer, who wanted $350.
Also, any info on group size or CCA would help.
thx.

Aaaah yes, the wonderful Audi battery (Moll?). Mine was bad from the first winter, the stealer couldn't "replicate" the problem. Thus not covered under the shi**y 12mo/12k warranty
. Even the cheapo auto parts batteries have warranties better than that? When I had battery go bad at 2 years on an Oldsmobile Intrigue, yes Olds, they replaced it no problemo

Since I'm out of town mucho these days, I didn't have time to get a better battery. Sears, Auto Zone, and Car Quest did't have one in stock. Car Quest could order one, but that was about it (was $114 same CCA as stock). Sears and Auto Zone had no clue.
After some yelling due to their failure to diagnose it the previous three times I had it in (they wanted $270 for the install + bat) they agreed to $123. Laurel Audi of Wesmont, IL- idiot 1/2 ass techs...
I believe the factory CCA was 420, my new one is 480. Uhhhh, huhuh, 420.
I got an Enertec battery. According to the folks at the dealer it is better than the Moll. We shall see... Does crank stronger, or so it seems. One or two cranks and I'm running http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 107 Posts