VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on an 84 Jetta,2.0 ABA project.I installed one of the JEGS scirocco pusher fans in front of a new radiator.It required the radiator to be positioned towards the battery tray and about an inch back.This crowds the battery shelf and will require relocating the battery.I am going to put it in the trunk of course,but my question is,Do I just go to home depot and purchase large stranded copper wire ,run the leads to the front and make an organized junction box connecting the pos and negs from the engine compartment?Is there potential current loss even with good connections?What is the best method?I was considering this to clean up the engine compartment but now it seems to be required.Any advice on how to do it right the first time is appreciated,thanks.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: battery relocation advice needed ((gti-guy))

I did see something on scirocco 16 V.com where it cost upwards of 3-400 dollars to do.I could make the battery box,purchase the wire at home depot and torch up some good connectors.This job could be completed for under $50,I think.This has yet to be seen,but I will find out.What I need to find out before proceeding is how it is done and what is the best way to do it.Thank you.

· Registered
145 Posts
Re: battery relocation advice needed (brian k lanning)

Personally I went to a local stereo store and bought 15 feet of high-quality, high-strand count 4 gauge (tons of strands, cost about $2.50/foot) wire. I then used a gold plated junction box up front and gold plated terminal clamps in the back at the battery. For the ground I made sure the engine to chassis ground was good (very important; I used 1 gauge here), and grounded the battery in the back cleanly to the chassis. I was expecting trouble but I have plenty of power. The lights are bright, the gauge lights are bright, no charging problems noted, starter gets plenty of power. I also used a red top Optima battery so that might help. Total cost was about $195, but I did not use a battery box (plastic ones seemed crappy and stainless steel was too pricey for me). Good luck you will like this mod'! Regards. --edited for ground procedures--
Jared

Modified by jassdo at 7:40 PM 7-18-2003

· Registered
2,224 Posts

For my corrado I used a Exide Orbital battery (same as Optima) with (from memory) 0/1 welding cable for the positive side, and used a heavy ground strap to the frame for the negative side. To tie down the battery, I used two all-threads with various washers and nuts, through the center of the battery, and drilled to the underside of the car. Total cost was about $125 with the battery.

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: battery relocation advice needed (hallkbrd)

Thank you very much,I did not think of going to an upscale car stereo store.I looked and found enough 1 gauge copper wire to do the job.I had it left over from a sauna installation here at the house.I can put together a decent box,the plastic ones seem cheap and the stainless is too expensive.I looked at the Jegs catalog and they have some nice looking terminals.I will make an engine compartment junction box for both pos and neg leads that is remote but accessable and also ground directly to the frame at the battery,this should assure good connects . For now I have a regular battery that is still in good shape,but when it gives a hint of failure ,I will go for a dry cell.I am on my way,thank you.

· Registered
2,224 Posts

If you use a regular battery, you might or maybe, should be a little concerned with vented fumes. The optima and orbital are both completely sealed, so you don't need a battery vent.

· Registered
538 Posts

I used welding cable also, and I didn't put a junction box in front. I hooked + leed at starter and - to body, also good ground from engine to body.
I also put a 175 amp fuse at battery, just in case. If that heavy a wire gets shorted and isn't fused, say bye bye car.
Rick

· Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: battery relocation advice needed (R)

Very good advice,I was going to vent to atmosphere from the battery,and a friend offered one of those high amp fuses that are used for the upscale car stereos,I will put it to use.Thank you very much for the input,it is appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.