VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
1999 MKIII GOLF Mi, 2018 Sentra Nismo
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much talking with the wife about taking my nismo off the family hauler and more onto daddy's daily and toy, we came to the conclussion that we will be buying a suv.

First we were thinking about a pick up since we are renovating the house, but then we realized that most of our weekends or free time we end up traveling up and down with her mom, sister, two nephews plus my two kids.

I had VANs in the past, but i'm not too thrill of going back to them, i had a 90 Nissan Quest, i had an 02 Chevrolet Astro with the AWD and quiet frankly i have always wanted to have a Tahoe or Suburban. I had a 93 explorer also back in the day as my first car.

Searching for SUVs 5-6K USD limit which translates roughly to around 100K to 120K Pesos, i can get a suburan (3rd row seat is a must) but i can get a 99-02 within the price range, but as the expedition popped into my head i realized i could get a much newer expedition for the same price.

So TCL learn me about those two SUVs please, pros cons, when it comes to pick ups and suvs i have always been a chevy man (no hating on ford, that 93 explorer with the eddie bauer package grew on me) but for some reason i have always liked the driving dynamics of the chevrolet's more than the fords.

Just as additional conteners i saw some expeditions within my price range, and the 1st gen Durangos, i do not like the 2nd gen durangos... 4x4 is a plus not a must, 3rd row bench seats as well as 2nd row bench seats are a must.

TIA

Registered
See my thread on similar vehicles and what I bought:

If you really want the 3rd row to be useable and have space behind it, I'd skip the Tahoe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See my thread on similar vehicles and what I bought:

If you really want the 3rd row to be useable and have space behind it, I'd skip the Tahoe.
Thanks, yeah i truly want the tahoe since it is a bit shorter, and let's face it, driving a suburban on mexico city's traffic is not something i want to do on weekly basis, specially when you got to find where to park that thing. My brother's wedding i rented one out to have my out of town family driven around, and boy every single public parking garage, even the hospital (my baby was just born) would not accept that sucker in... not even if i told them i would pay double... but lets face it, kids are growing up and they are not small, i am 6. 1" 220 and my kids are growing fast.

my nephew is 9 years old and his sister is 6 and she has big bone structure.

Registered
Have had both in the immediate family.

Took a cross country road trip in an Expedition with five adults (two men three wimmens) and the third row was installed for sleeping duties for shuffling driver shifts. It is useless to use for seating for normal sized adults (the shorter sub six footers -like 5ft5" were 'ok').

That said, the Expedition is a much better rig for normal driving than a Suburban and much more comfortable.

That's about the most I've got :D

Registered
I don鈥檛 know if the 1st gen Sequoia (2001-2007) is available in Mexico but if so, I鈥檇 recommend it. To me it鈥檚 the perfect size. Longer than a Tahoe but shorter than a Suburban. It鈥檚 no where near as wide as today鈥檚 fullsizers but still has good seat width. I paid $6k for mine 2 years ago. Miles are high but it still runs well. Rust is it鈥檚 biggest issue.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don鈥檛 know if the 1st gen Sequoia (2001-2007) is available in Mexico but if so, I鈥檇 recommend it. To me it鈥檚 the perfect size. Longer than a Tahoe but shorter than a Suburban. It鈥檚 no where near as wide as today鈥檚 fullsizers but still has good seat width. I paid $6k for mine 2 years ago. Miles are high but it still runs well. Rust is it鈥檚 biggest issue.
Have had both in the immediate family.

Took a cross country road trip in an Expedition with five adults (two men three wimmens) and the third row was installed for sleeping duties for shuffling driver shifts. It is useless to use for seating for normal sized adults (the shorter sub six footers -like 5ft5" were 'ok').

That said, the Expedition is a much better rig for normal driving than a Suburban and much more comfortable.

That's about the most I've got :D
Thanks, the 3rd row will be used for the kids most of the time... plus my MIL sister in law and wife are short, wife is about 5ft and my MIL and SIL are not much taller, me and my bro are 6feet but we usually ride in the front.

You know i haven't really seen them, i will take a look i remember a friend of my mom had a 1st gen and it was really comfy and he said it had a great drive.. i will take a look at that

Thanks

Registered
Expedition seems like a good compromise in size between the Tahoe and Suburban that you are looking at. It's definitely better for daily driving than Suburban, especially if parking is a concern. Not sure your budget will stretch to the late 3rd gen with 3.5 Ecoboost so I think the consensus is get 2nd or early 3rd with 5.4 V8 and skip the 4.6.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Expedition seems like a good compromise in size between the Tahoe and Suburban that you are looking at. It's definitely better for daily driving than Suburban, especially if parking is a concern. Not sure your budget will stretch to the late 3rd gen with 3.5 Ecoboost so I think the consensus is get 2nd or early 3rd with 5.4 V8 and skip the 4.6.
Yeah that goes way beyond my budget and i don't want to take a loan out specially since we are looking at buying at a house next year, so this year i'm done with car payments we want to buy cash.

Are there any things to look out for the the 5.4? or their tranmissions?

Anything why staying away from the 4.6? Just a boat anchor not enough power?

Banned
Yeah that goes way beyond my budget and i don't want to take a loan out specially since we are looking at buying at a house next year, so this year i'm done with car payments we want to buy cash.

Are there any things to look out for the the 5.4? or their tranmissions?

Anything why staying away from the 4.6? Just a boat anchor not enough power?
4.6 is bulletproof but underpowered in an Expedition.

Transmissions are fine. The 6R80 in the >2010 or 2011 is a notably stout transmission, built on the ZF 6HP design.

5.4 has some cam phaser problems (VVT) and the spark plug design can cause them to seize inside of the heads, making them difficult to remove. This is on the later >2004 Expeditions. A lot of the VVT issues were remedied later, post 2007, as were the plug issues (they changed the design to a far more standard design).

The 5.4L is a "million-mile motor" if well maintained. People bought these more advanced V8's and thought they could treat them like their 302 Windsor. You need to use synthetic oil, you need to change it on time (5-7.5k depending on use). These are high tech engines with overhead cams, variable valve timing and oil pressure driven chain tensioners.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4.6 is bulletproof but underpowered in an Expedition.

Transmissions are fine. The 6R80 in the >2010 or 2011 is a notably stout transmission, built on the ZF 6HP design.

5.4 has some cam phaser problems (VVT) and the spark plug design can cause them to seize inside of the heads, making them difficult to remove. This is on the later >2004 Expeditions. A lot of the VVT issues were remedied later, post 2007, as were the plug issues (they changed the design to a far more standard design).

The 5.4L is a "million-mile motor" if well maintained. People bought these more advanced V8's and thought they could treat them like their 302 Windsor. You need to use synthetic oil, you need to change it on time (5-7.5k depending on use). These are high tech engines with overhead cams, variable valve timing and oil pressure driven chain tensioners.
Thanks this gives me more input as of what exactly to look for and what do do, quiet frankly is just going to be our weekend warrior but i want to make sure that i can travel cross country without worrying about it leaving me stranded or regretting the purchase.

Reactions: fireside

Registered
Both are great. Buy the Ford if you're more interested in an actual truck that drives like a truck. Buy a tahoe if you want a capable suv that drives like a large car.

Tahoe better gas mileage.

Banned
Both are great. Buy the Ford if you're more interested in an actual truck that drives like a truck. Buy a tahoe if you want a capable suv that drives like a large car.

Tahoe better gas mileage.
Shocking statement since the Expy has independent rear and the Tahoe is a stick axle!

Registered
Shocking statement since the Expy has independent rear and the Tahoe is a stick axle!
It's a strange world out there 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks... although quiet frankly i haven't thought much about the ride, specially since we are using it only for weekends or long trips where i can't get rid of the MIL and SIL so if they complain sorry abou that, as long as it checks my boxes.

I looked at sequoias as a poster mentioned unfortunately they are not available down here. Back in the states my mom's friend had a Gen 1 and it was real comfortable so i tried to look but no luck. My only chance is importing it, so i would have to see if my mom wants to do the whole buy here and have it ready so i can just fly out there and do a cross country trip (again)... but we'll see if the wife is down with that in the meantime i keep looking at other possibilites, i must admit that the expedition with the eddie bauer package is getting my attention more and more.

Registered
Thanks... although quiet frankly i haven't thought much about the ride
It's not just about the ride, the Expedition handles more 'car like' than the Tahburban, comes off a bit more nimble as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not just about the ride, the Expedition handles more 'car like' than the Tahburban, comes off a bit more nimble as well.
Guess that's not bad, specially with some of the roads, bumps and pot holes here. WIth stock height the front splitters on my nismo went to hell in less than 3 years and i take that as a win... so having a bit more of ground clearance. WHen i had the suburban for the weekend my wife was surprised that i was able to jump from a go kart sized car to that truck specially when parking it in our garage at the aprts (that thing was narrow) she didn't know i used to drive trucks before i moved to mexico city, so it was like riding a bike again, now if ithe expedition is a bit more nimbler i can guarantee she will hate me even more that i will be able to zip around town surfing through lanes (that's the only way to get around here)

Registered

I think we need to start specifying generations or years when we make these comments comparing tahoes to expeditions lol. I haven't driven a brand new one with the brand new suspension style but I've driven plenty of tahoe and expeditions in the past and the expedition always drives like a very large lumbering truck and not car like whatsoever whereas the Tahoe always drove like a large car to me but again I've not driven a brand new Tahoe or expedition to compare

Registered
I think we need to start specifying generations or years when we make these comments comparing tahoes to expeditions lol. I haven't driven a brand new one with the brand new suspension style but I've driven plenty of towels and expeditions in the past and the expedition always drives like a very large lumbering truck and not car like whatsoever whereas the Tahoe always drove like a large car to me but again I've not driven a brand tahoe either
Agreed. That's the GM trucks' forte (ride/handling).

Registered
Previous to the current generation, the Expedition's independent rear wasn't the best setup for anything other than saving space.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.