VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

621 - 640 of 761 Posts

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,103 Posts
Rented a Cayman on Turo and took a trip this morning on 130 through Mt Hamilton and then up Mines in Livermore. Road conditions were pretty good, but the scenery was post-apocalyptic. That fire was brutal.
I was wondering, didn't the fires basically just rip through that entire stretch almost to Livermore? In some ways I want to drive through and see what's happened in some of these places but in others I don't....we went through the same thing at the family house in Sonoma (we were spared but others around us weren't so lucky)...it was fascinating and educational to see what fire does to whole neighborhoods but depressing at the same time.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
18,864 Posts
Rented a Cayman on Turo and took a trip this morning on 130 through Mt Hamilton and then up Mines in Livermore. Road conditions were pretty good, but the scenery was post-apocalyptic. That fire was brutal.
A friend of mine said that the Peninsula roads were ok, and Mines and 130 was alright. I'll have to go check it out some time soon.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Ditto. I was considering driving for clear skies but then I asked myself how far do I go? Colorado? Montana?
On Sept 5 I pointed the X5 east and drove out to Winnemucca, NV before turning north up US95 through extreme southeastern Oregon, then Idaho, up to Moscow. It was fairly light haze the whole way there, but Moscow (at 3000ft) was gloriously clear all week I spent there.. until the last day, day and a half, when smoke started closing in. Still got some perfect blue sky bike rides up by Coeur d'Alene and up into Montana on my last couple days.

On Sept the 13th, I headed home via I-84 and US97 through Bend. Basically 15 hours of 500+ AQI. The air was absolutely brutal. Even with recirc on the whole drive, I ended up driving with my N95 mask on for 15 mins when my eyes started watering along the Columbia River gorge. Truly stunning to see smoke down the entire western US.

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
4,784 Posts
On Sept the 13th, I headed home via I-84 and US97 through Bend. Basically 15 hours of 500+ AQI. The air was absolutely brutal. Even with recirc on the whole drive, I ended up driving with my N95 mask on for 15 mins when my eyes started watering along the Columbia River gorge. Truly stunning to see smoke down the entire western US.
Yikes. Not sure that was a good idea but at least you made it.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Yikes. Not sure that was a good idea but at least you made it.
Well the good news is it's in the shop for a DPF now so I'll have them throw an intake and climate control filter in while it's there :eek:

·
Registered
22,103 Posts
Well the good news is it's in the shop for a DPF now so I'll have them throw an intake and climate control filter in while it's there :eek:
I'm replacing the cabin air filter on both our DD's and the air filter in our Dyson home filter. Definitely good post-smoke maintenance as they all got a real workout. Remember we were on a spare the air alert for 30 days straight.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I'm replacing the cabin air filter on both our DD's and the air filter in our Dyson home filter. Definitely good post-smoke maintenance as they all got a real workout. Remember we were on a spare the air alert for 30 days straight.
Good reminder, particularly for us no-air-conditioning plebes :laugh:
Didn't run the house fan during the worst of the smoke, but still got plenty of campfire smoke smell inside a couple of days.
New furnace filter and new filter on the bedroom air purifier went in a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
22,103 Posts
Going to cross post this from the wildfires thread since I had the wildest Bay Area drive of my life last night.

Wow what a night. A little after 9PM last night I was monitoring a bunch of websites/social feeds on the fires along with listening to the Cal Fire scanner. Winds were hard, the fire was exploding, and he made a comment that the fire was going to hit East Santa Rosa/Highway 12 hard. Thankfully the family house is south of where the fires were heading but I made the call to head up, check on and prep the house, and evacuate my Porsche. We live 2 hours away. The scene when we got there was apocalyptic. The area was full of thick smoke and ash. Crap was blowing all over the highway from the winds. Traffic was heavy heading South away from the fires as evacuations north of the house were already well under way. Right as we pulled an army of police cars started going up and down the roads blaring a unique hi-low siren (kinda sounds like the European sirens) which apparently tells people it's time to evacuate. They had literally just made the decision to evacuate our area. It was roughly 1AM. My parents who joined us packed up some important things and I went to get the Porsche started. Battery was dead. I have a trickle charger but that won't do in a situation like this. Thankfully I had purchased a jumper box a month ago and thankfully it worked. Car fired up, I loaded it with what I could, and we evacuated to my parents main house in Marin. It was the oddest drive I've ever had in my life. Traffic was heavy from evacuation traffic and it seemed nobody knew where to go making unexpected stops and weird turns as their Waze tried to get them out of there, was briefly stuck behind an RV that could barely make it's way down the road probably because it's never driven, cars pulled over with the interior lights on as people figured out where to go, police driving up and down the roads evacuating properties, semi trucks speeding the other way carrying bulldozers for fire lines, a convoy of ambulances, fire trucks, smoke everywhere, dust/ash blowing around, and me.....in a 50 year old European sports car wearing an N95 mask. I decided to play Beethoven Symphony No.7 2nd Movement as I was driving through the chaos. It helped as it was calming yet properly represented what was happening around me. We pulled safely into my parents house shortly before 3AM and passed out. It's going to be a long week.

Pic take around 1:30AM last night as we were preparing to leave. The flash lit up some of the ash, the headlights the smoke, and the blue police lights (off camera to the left) some of the sky above us. Note After we left they shut down the highway then shut off the power, glad we got there when we did.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Crazy. Glad you guys decided to make the call when you did, glad you got your valuable ($$ and sentimental) possessions out, and everyone's safe. Best of luck that the house is still standing when this is all over. :heart:

·
Registered
22,103 Posts
Thanks guys. Minus sleeping in and returning to LG, I've been doing nothing today but following the fires. Thanks to following the fires near where we live in the Santa Cruz mountains and the fires near where our VW Bus currently lives in Oregon, we had good sources of information which played a critical role last night (evacuation zones, fire location/direction, traffic patterns, random updates from people in the area, etc.).

The real hero of the evening was my recently purchased jumper box. As I mentioned a few pages back "Having an inoperable classic when trying to evacuate is a real fear of mine." Last night I got to live that fear as the car would not start under it's own power thanks to a fairly new Optima battery that is crapping out despite having a cutoff switch for storage. Optimas are not what they used to be. Anyway while a push start might have worked, who knows if I would have remembered to do that with everything going on. One last top tip: Make sure to never let your gas tank get too low. So many people wait until their car is empty before filling up and I saw all of them last night....lined up at all the gas stations. Thank goodness those stations were still operable at the time and thankfully we're not one of those people.

·
18,864 Posts
Glad you got out man. Hope your family’s home is spared.

Dad has some room, but he’s evacuated.

Pets are sadly used to the drill.

Dad and Step Mom are getting tired of this. Lost their house in 2017 and they’ve been evacuated numerous times since. Step Mom wants to move back home as she’s about out of patience.

·
Registered
34,260 Posts
The real hero of the evening was my recently purchased jumper box. As I mentioned a few pages back "Having an inoperable classic when trying to evacuate is a real fear of mine." Last night I got to live that fear as the car would not start under it's own power thanks to a fairly new Optima battery that is crapping out despite having a cutoff switch for storage. Optimas are not what they used to be. Anyway while a push start might have worked, who knows if I would have remembered to do that with everything going on. One last top tip: Make sure to never let your gas tank get too low. So many people wait until their car is empty before filling up and I saw all of them last night....lined up at all the gas stations. Thank goodness those stations were still operable at the time and thankfully we're not one of those people.
Yeah, I don't allow the classic cars to go below half a tank. We recently had a scare of our own up here in Oregon and I made darn sure everything was ready to go. Can you imagine not having enough fuel to make it out in a car that gets 6 mpg?

I hope the property makes it out unscathed.

·
18,864 Posts
Dad was able to run home for another load of stuff. It's less than 3 miles from his house. :(:(

Weather at the local airport shows no wind, and light and variable winds forecasted for tomorrow through the afternoon. Hope it stays that way. He's only been in that house for less than a year after losing his last one in the Tubbs fire in 2017.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks guys. Minus sleeping in and returning to LG, I've been doing nothing today but following the fires. Thanks to following the fires near where we live in the Santa Cruz mountains and the fires near where our VW Bus currently lives in Oregon, we had good sources of information which played a critical role last night (evacuation zones, fire location/direction, traffic patterns, random updates from people in the area, etc.).

Glad you made it out. We got out of Boulder Creek pretty early so the roads weren't backed up. Over the last number of years I've had a side project to learn all the roads around here just in case - it turns out that our dead end road isn't a dead end road after all - there's a dirt road connecting down to 9 at the other end - doesn't show on Google Maps but does show up on Gaia. And then there are all the single lane roads between 35 and Bear Creek that you would definitely only want to use in an emergency :rolleyes: We've still got ash falling around here, and the county is about to start cleaning up burned out properties.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #636
Dad was able to run home for another load of stuff. It's less than 3 miles from his house. :(:(

Weather at the local airport shows no wind, and light and variable winds forecasted for tomorrow through the afternoon. Hope it stays that way. He's only been in that house for less than a year after losing his last one in the Tubbs fire in 2017.
Fingers crossed for you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
44,070 Posts

Oh, dude. :(

I'd be done with the area. No matter how beautiful it is that's too much to deal with.

·
18,864 Posts
621 - 640 of 761 Posts