VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

641 - 660 of 761 Posts

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,103 Posts
Interesting car related news today regarding police sirens in California.

Governor Signs Sen. Dodd’s ‘Hi-Lo’ Evacuation Warning Bill
Printer-friendly version
Wednesday, September 30, 2020
SACRAMENTO – With record wildfires driving tens of thousands of Californians from their homes, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill from Sen. Bill Dodd, D-Napa, that would aid in evacuations by authorizing municipalities to use European-style “hi-lo” siren in emergency vehicles.

“Keeping Californians safe is my top priority,” Sen. Dodd said. “This unique warning will do just that by alerting people to approaching threats and getting them out of harm’s way quickly. It was used in my district for the latest wildfires and proved extremely effective. I thank Gov. Newsom for making this important public safety tool available to everyone in our state.”

Existing law restricts the use of hi-lo sirens. However, a pilot program last year in Napa County showed the warning popularized in England works well to get people to flee encroaching wildfires. The alerts were used in the recent LNU Lightning Complex fires by Napa, Sonoma and Solano county deputies. Senate Bill 909, signed Tuesday, allows all public safety agencies to use hi-lo warnings for evacuation purposes.

“I want to thank Gov. Newsom and Sen. Dodd for recognizing the value and impact of the hi-lo siren,” Napa County Sheriff John Robertson said. “We have seen unprecedented wildfires spread rapidly throughout California. Utilizing the hi-lo siren statewide allows law enforcement to inform rural and urban communities of danger, in a timely and efficient manner.”
https://sd03.senate.ca.gov/news/20200930-governor-signs-sen-dodd’s-‘hi-lo’-evacuation-warning-bill

These are the sirens we heard on Monday morning and had no idea what it meant. See below video...volume warning since it's, well, a video of a siren. :laugh:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Oh, dude. :(

I'd be done with the area. No matter how beautiful it is that's too much to deal with.
I just bounced from the Bay Area. Going to be out for at least a year, hopefully permanently if our jobs let us stay out of the state.

·
Registered
44,071 Posts
He said if he loses it, he’s done. No rebuild. I get it.
Yeah, I get it too. My brother has a house that is in the woods and while it's a nice house, the threat of fire has always given me the heebie-jeebies.

Of course we're in southern Indiana and not the western states where fires are far more prevalent, but fires can happen anywhere. There was a bad one a few years ago in the Great Smokey Mountains that took out a good portion of Gatlinburg. As it turns out it was some stupid kids committing arson. There were 14 deaths and many injuries involved, too. :(

Arson. :mad:

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I'm anti-death penalty..

... except for vandalism and arson :laugh:

Unfortunately it looks like we'll have more fire weather (winds from the east) thurs+fri... I'd be worried for SOS's dad's place :(

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
18,871 Posts
I'm anti-death penalty..

... except for vandalism and arson :laugh:

Unfortunately it looks like we'll have more fire weather (winds from the east) thurs+fri... I'd be worried for SOS's dad's place :(
It's thankfully not gotten any closer, but it doesn't take much for it to travel a few miles. :(

·
Registered
22,103 Posts
It's thankfully not gotten any closer, but it doesn't take much for it to travel a few miles. :(
Currently all is quiet on the western front minus a few spot fires leftover from earlier. The nearest activity is up Calistoga Road which they're using as a line of defense. If the fire crosses Calistoga road then it's in the burn scar of the Tubbs fire meaning less fuel to burn. Good news is for the next day or so the winds will be pushing the fire east or southeast meaning Santa Rosa to the west will be fine. When all is said and done I think you'll see the whole area inside the Calistoga Road, St. Helena Road, and Highway 128 triangle burned or close to it. One area of concern is Sugarloaf Ridge State Park as the fire continues to move southeast down the mountain range. The somewhat good news is it's now on top of ground that burned in the 2017 fires so there's less fuel to burn. The second area of concern is along Highway 29 from Calistoga to Middletown where the fire is growing rapidly.

Speaking of that Gatlinburg fire I was in Gatlinburg over Christmas and there are still scars from what happened. I actually made a point to drive through Chalet Village to see the area filmed by that one guy as he escaped. By the way, in the first couple minutes of that escape video you see him outside his house, flags blowing in the wind, tons of smoke you can see in the lights, dark sky, orange glow in the distance, confusion on whether they should stay or go......that is exactly what it was like when we were evacuating. It will probably haunt me for awhile.

·
Registered
44,071 Posts
Currently all is quiet on the western front minus a few spot fires leftover from earlier. The nearest activity is up Calistoga Road which they're using as a line of defense. If the fire crosses Calistoga road then it's in the burn scar of the Tubbs fire meaning less fuel to burn. Good news is for the next day or so the winds will be pushing the fire east or southeast meaning Santa Rosa to the west will be fine. When all is said and done I think you'll see the whole area inside the Calistoga Road, St. Helena Road, and Highway 128 triangle burned or close to it. One area of concern is Sugarloaf Ridge State Park as the fire continues to move southeast down the mountain range. The somewhat good news is it's now on top of ground that burned in the 2017 fires so there's less fuel to burn. The second area of concern is along Highway 29 from Calistoga to Middletown where the fire is growing rapidly.

Speaking of that Gatlinburg fire I was in Gatlinburg over Christmas and there are still scars from what happened. I actually made a point to drive through Chalet Village to see the area filmed by that one guy as he escaped. By the way, in the first couple minutes of that escape video you see him outside his house, flags blowing in the wind, tons of smoke you can see in the lights, dark sky, orange glow in the distance, confusion on whether they should stay or go......that is exactly what it was like when we were evacuating. It will probably haunt me for awhile.
Wow. It's like smoke in this case is the literal "fog of war".

I'm sorry you've had to go through that. :(

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Yeah, I get it too. My brother has a house that is in the woods and while it's a nice house, the threat of fire has always given me the heebie-jeebies.

Of course we're in southern Indiana and not the western states where fires are far more prevalent, but fires can happen anywhere. There was a bad one a few years ago in the Great Smokey Mountains that took out a good portion of Gatlinburg. As it turns out it was some stupid kids committing arson. There were 14 deaths and many injuries involved, too. :(

Arson. :mad:
That was awful.

·
Registered
22,103 Posts
Smoke is annoying.

Wife has fully remote job. City offers little for us now.

I’ll either work until they catch me, or find a remote job.

Whitefish MT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear ya. For the price of a starter home in Marin you'll have a house on the lake in Whitefish. Beautiful place, clean air, lots of open land to explore.

Also I found the perfect thing to send you off right.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/mountain-view-2001-bmw-m5-sku1bz99388/7202872922.html

·
Registered
15,563 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Triple digits in the Santa Cruz Mountains today, and we've had two fires within a couple of miles of us in the last 24 hours. With the water still not confirmed safe to drink, we're getting a bit tired of this.

And in other news, I waited for two hours yesterday morning to be told that the 'like new' refurbished eBay wheels for the Vantage had so much paint on them that they wouldn't fit on the hubs, and since we were evacuated for a month I'm now outside the 30 day window for a refund. And my emissions system check triggered again on the way home Is it 2021 yet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Enjoyed the video. We headed out at the front of the pack and never really saw anyone again. Fast car problems. We were at the beach at 3:10.
I knew when the fast car fast group left first, I would never see you guys again. I think we made it around 6. At three-ish, we were leaving lunch, and skipped the loop.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
18,871 Posts
Marcelo and I were talking about it last night. Great day of driving, but it wasn't really a rally for us. We just drove and then got a beer. None of the usual socializing.

I need a slow car.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Marcelo and I were talking about it last night. Great day of driving, but it wasn't really a rally for us. We just drove and then got a beer. None of the usual socializing.

I need a slow car.
It's a hard balance to make. I think the faster you are, the later you should leave, but then you get stuck behind a CTS-V or something else, and lose out on a section. The CTS-V was great at moving over, it was funny passing him in a group of with a 405, e30 and a rabbit. :laugh:

I have too much power as well, never needed to dip past half throttle. Thinking about a big change to the rabbit. (Scirocco isn't happening, I don't fit. :facepalm:)

641 - 660 of 761 Posts