VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
3,156 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (vwg60saabturbo)

I just got an e-mail from John about the kit.
They should be ready to ship by August. Price will be $599-$699.

I can't say if it will be worth it or not; I haven't heard a before and after demonstration.
Personally, I think it looks ugly. But even so, I would still want it. The only reason I can't justify it is that it's gonna cost about $800 with tax and shipping, nearly $1000 for something that should have come with the Lysholm kit to begin with. That brings the total cost of the lysholm conversion to $3200-ish.
Also, it looks as if this silencer kit may not be compatible with aftermarket intercooler plumbing, since it looks to incorporate the stock IC routing. I may not even be able to use it even if I wanted to.
I'd like to see how it works. I think I might try to make my own and save about $500, assuming it's worthwhile.
Just my opinion, I'm not slandering anyone. I just don't see why it couldn't be done cheaper! And I haven't even heard if it works yet, I am very curious, as I'm sure others are as well! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by URIN 2ND at 12:40 PM 7-13-2003

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (David L)

Yes, it is a big job to move the TB. Lot's of headaches will follow. You can do it for less, but not $500 less. A major problem I learned is that rubber hoses don't hold up to vacuum, you must use all metal tubing with only short couplers. My car is much quieter than before. Still not enough around town, but a MAJOR improvement.

· Registered
3,156 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (SlientG60)

That doesn't bother me...seeing as how the rest of my car looks like crap, it would fit right in.
I don't think there's a G60 engine bay on the planet that looks "clean" compared to today's engines, so I've never really bothered to try making it look clean. There's still hoses and wires everywhere; too many to cover up and hide.

· Registered
11,861 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (URIN 2ND)

Quote, originally posted by URIN 2ND »

I don't think there's a G60 engine bay on the planet that looks "clean" compared to today's engines, so I've never really bothered to try making it look clean. There's still hoses and wires everywhere; too many to cover up and hide.

mine is....

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (g60vwr)

i'm guessing the tb and filter are on the recirc side of the charger to accomodate a stock throttle cable, would look much cleaner if it were on the side it normally is and McGuivered a gas cable instead of the entire thing
what an atrocity, but i'm sure the actual kit will look pretty, wasn't this just the prototype pics to see if it's functional?

· Registered
5,645 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (g60vwr)

Quote, originally posted by g60vwr »

mine is....

i agree.. not quite as clean as i'd like just yet but compared to many other bays i think the G60 bay is a lot cleaner with less clutter.. but maybe that's just because i know what everything does in the G60 bay.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (itchyG60)

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »

but maybe that's just because i know what everything does in the G60 bay.

Exactly, I remember looking at the bay when I first got the C. It used to look like shiit to me, now it looks like a complicated maze of purpose. And that's a good thing I guess.

· Registered
4,873 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (brilliantyellowg60)

yeah, i saw it before and i personally think its a mess. i mean its what has to be done but its a mess. makes the g60 more clutterd to work on.
does the ecu vac line reach all the way over?
its expensice because its a lot of machine work, welding and stuff. and then its all about making money alot of money on top of all the money spent to build the thing. itll start off expensive and then get cheaper, theyre prob tryin to make up for the cost of trial and error, all the money spent on the research...

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (corradokyd)

Quote, originally posted by corradokyd »
does the ecu vac line reach all the way over?

When you relocate the TB, the ecu vac line has to go after the TB. Mine is tapped off the intake manifold. If you leave it on the TB it will never see boost.

· Registered
4,873 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (David L)

yeah i pulled that on out of my ass. i was thinkin since the nipple is on the throttlebody, i figured it staayed there. but yeah, the line is AFTER the butterfly and before the intake manifold, i know that. i take it the kit covers that...

· Registered
24,970 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (corradokyd)

only thing i disagree with is the HOT air intake. It definitely needs to be routed somewhere cool..
remember i recorded traffic temps exceeding 40F over ambient in the engine bay, that would reduce a nice FMIC greatly since temps in are mangified by (any) blower.

· Registered
1,012 Posts
Re: BBM Silencing Kit (mrkrad)

I still have that issue of hot air intake on mine. My cone filter is sitting in the battery location sucking up all that heat.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.