VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Rabbit, 1998 c4 a6 avant, 1984 gti
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello vortexers, I just want to share what is going on with my rabbit now that I have gotten comfortable with the forum. I bought my rabbit in late December 2018 as my first car at the age of 16. We live in West Michigan and were going to visit my grandparents in the U.P. we went around the Illinois and Wisconsin way so I could check out some cars. The rabbit was the best fit so we picked it up in Wisconsin and drove it up to my grandparents in the U.P.. While we were there a large snowstorm came through and it was time to drive home, on this drive we discovered that the car was wildly out of alignment on the slick roads we made it all the way across the U.P. to the top of the bridge before we decided to just leave it there and tow it the rest of the way the next week. So this car started off interestingly for me. I call this car the BBQ rabbit due to being low and slow and also a dark red color. After a quick buff it looked like this.car 7 by tBurie, on Flickr
After this, I made a roof rack in my school shop class and also obtained some ronal turbo wheels to put onto it. The rabbit currently looks like this.20190803_195008 by tBurie, on Flickr
This is my daily summer car that I like to work on, so it is not a build but I would like to put this out there. I would love to hear advice from you guys that know so much about these cars.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
27,988 Posts
Nice Rabbit. We don't see that red too often.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
update

update on the rabbit, I have started to install new control arms and bushings and they don't quite fit right, here are some pictures.
[/url]20200513_210209 by tBurie, on Flickr[/IMG]
20200513_210149 by tBurie, on Flickr
So this guy in the back is hanging out a bit. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions on what to do about this.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Mahogany is such a great color. Of all the rabbits I owned, it was one of my favorite colors.

That bracket looks like the hole is offset. I’d try flipping it 180°.

-Todd

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys

After some inspection, the bracket had oval holes so I got them loosened and hammered them over. Once there was weight on the arm it fit better too.

I also have now installed a tt 2 inch borla catback on the BBQ rabbit, it sound very nice.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4 GMT425
27,988 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there's quite a bit of rust underneath, no?
It has driven in the midwest its whole life yes, but the color hides the rust real well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Exhaust + speed bump

I had a little incident with a speed bump today trying to get into a parking ramp. I haven't had trouble with speed bumps before today but this one got me and ripped it off after the cat and bent it up a bit, so it was dragging on the ground. Lucky for me my dad could save my by bringing a jack, some jack stands, and some tools. I ripped the exhaust off the car on top of the parking garage where there happened to be some "cool car people" a crossed the lot watching me, one was kind enough to bring his car over to help light up the area while I worked. Once the exhaust was off I was ready to get home a police pulls up on to the deck. lucky for me he did not pay much attention to my exhaustless car but to the group of people. I have to say it was sort of a fun trip home with out the exhaust on the car.

[/url]20200926_195532 by tBurie, on Flickr[/IMG]

20200926_194714 by tBurie, on Flickr

20200926_200900 by tBurie, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Now you know to carry tools and a jack at all times.
I learned to always have a jack when I was 16, on my first test drive at 1am after putting new pistons in my ‘68 beetle.

Made it to the other side of town when one of my rear wheels came off.

I called my buddy.
“Wake up, grab a jack. And come help me NOW”

-I was on Main Street ;p

Then when he gets there, the weak battery gives out. Luckily it push started and made it all the way home before the cylinder heads came loose because I did not understand how a torque wrench worked, or that mine was broken.

Oh to be young...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We now have now obtained a JH engine!!

I plan on taking the engine apart and replacing bearings rings valves and so on. I also plan to bring it to a machine shop to check it over and deck the head and clean the valve seats. But for now I am on the look out for a 5 speed to match to this engine.

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Do you know if this engine ran? If so, just drop it in... machine work gets expensive, really fast. It’s a slippery slope.

-Todd

1 - 20 of 66 Posts