VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (mad dubber)

don't let the milage fool you. I can also say for certain that the car has more than 6000 miles. It is just tha gauge cluster. He bought the car used. Also the motor is stock, don't let him tell you there is cams and what not in there. Come lets get real, do you really think you would keep a set of cams in a car that you DIDN'T drive? Man the last time that car was on the road was 3 years ago for the great canadian bug show. And that was a 30km round trip.
On the bright side that is one sick car. I've seen it enough time as BBR is only down the street from me. Carbon seats, Orig. ABT wide body, wet sanded to perfection, clean as clean can be, and sick rims with goodyear gs-d tires(haven't been produced for over 5 years)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (GTI2lo)

i have the January 2001 issue of Max Power where the BBR GTI was the cover story...i can't tell you how many times i have flipped through the article in awe of such a mechanical masterpiece. IMHO, it is one of the finest Mk3 GTIs i have seen...
as far as the mileage, i dunno - even in the pictures in the article it shows only 5676kms....but to his defense, the article says "this project car has been sitting as-is since 1995."
either way, i am sure it is worth every penny of the asking price - one of the cleanest Mk3s in NA for sure http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

later,
steve

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (lab_rat)

So what does $37K Canadian translate to in U.S. dollars these days?
BTW, that car has not been around in its current state since '95 - more like '97. As far as it being an authentic Abt widebody kit, I wouldn't bet the farm on it - I unfortunately can't remember the details in certain that far back.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (Doug Brekke)

Sure the odo says 6000, I can just go to VW and buy a new cluster for $500 and look my car is brand new.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (GTI2lo)

quote:[HR][/HR]Sure the odo says 6000, I can just go to VW and buy a new cluster for $500 and look my car is brand new.[HR][/HR]​
Yes that is true, however I spoke to Billy like 2 years ago and was asking questions about the car, and it was purchased "new" as a show car only to display they're merchandise and it hasn't moved from its spot since. Its only been driven to 1 show, and I've been to his shop a couple times and the car has always sat in one spot. I don't think he's lying about the milage....Sweet car none the less, its stunning in person unbelievable.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (BiH)

i'm prety sure that the milage is accurate and correct, he has owned this car from new.
i've spoken to billy many times as well and he doesn't seem like the type to falsly advertise, plus hat car is always in the showroom so you know he's not logging k's on it.
either way, pure sick dub......my friend almost bought it before he posted it FS
just my $.02

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (BiH)

Like Gooberry said, the car was purchased new and was built to market his
business/shop. The only time I saw that car out, was at the bug show a few years
back. and Yes, that's an original ABT widebody cup kit. Billy imports everything
straight from the motherland (Germany), thus the reason for his very high prices.
Billy's car was the second ever built ABT widebody, in Canada at least. The first
was built by Billy, but for one of his customers. That customer parted the car
and sold those rims to Billy for like $7k ( I think he originally payed over $10k for
them, but I'm not too sure)
Even if it had more than 6k kilometers, the car is in pristine condition. Like
it left the ABT factory today! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,305 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (Goobery69)

quote:[HR][/HR]Yes that is true, however I spoke to Billy like 2 years ago and was asking questions about the car, and it was purchased "new" as a show car only to display they're merchandise and it hasn't moved from its spot since. Its only been driven to 1 show, and I've been to his shop a couple times and the car has always sat in one spot. I don't think he's lying about the milage....Sweet car none the less, its stunning in person unbelievable.[HR][/HR]​
As far as the car being not driven. Ive cruised around with him while he was driving that. He used to cruise around with it with a bunch of his customers late at night at least once a week. A friend of mine was a customer of his and brought me along to a few of these cruises. Mind you that was a while ago (about 2 summers ago). I know he doesn't drive it that much but he has driven it. Hes taken the car to a few shows (driven it there). Everytime he does, he wins. The car has cup3.0 stickers on it. Its not a 3.0l. Its an almost stock motor (if not stock now). But dont get me wrong, it is a nice car.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (GTI-Gabe)

quote:[HR][/HR]Billy imports everything straight from the motherland (Germany), thus the reason for his very high prices.[HR][/HR]​
If one goes directly to Der Fatherland then prices should be lower, not more expensive. Going direct you cut out the middle man and items should sell for a lower price... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (GTI-Gabe)

quote:[HR][/HR]Yes, that's an original ABT widebody cup kit. Billy imports everything straight from the motherland[HR][/HR]​
Is that what he tells you? Interesting. I can assure you the that his kit, wheels, and other goodies on that car came by way of JT Motorsport, Simi Valley, CA.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (Doug Brekke)

quote:[HR][/HR]Is that what he tells you? Interesting. I can assure you the that his kit, wheels, and other goodies on that car came by way of JT Motorsport, Simi Valley, CA. [HR][/HR]​
JTMotorsport usually gets all the rare hardcore stuff first before anybody. I wouldn't doubt that the kit nor the wheels went via JT. John is one interesting cat...

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (feeling_sinister)

BBR's ABT Widebody wasn't built in Canada...
He bought the car from JT Motorsport in California...
And for the Widebody being real, thats the ??? Remember it can from JT motorsport and everyone knows theyre
reputation...

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (BLUERS)

quote:[HR][/HR]BBR's ABT Widebody wasn't built in Canada...
He bought the car from JT Motorsport in California...
And for the Widebody being real, thats the ??? Remember it can from JT motorsport and everyone knows theyre
reputation...[HR][/HR]​
the blue widebodya nd the black one (abt cups) were built before jt copied the kit. But even if you have a copy oh well, youll never find the original kit and if you do are you ganna be willing to pay the price for it

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Re: bbr's abt widebody (hondastastelikechicken)

you can find a couple more here: http://www.pocketrocket.on.ca/bug9.htm
quote:[HR][/HR]If one goes directly to Der Fatherland then prices should be lower, not more expensive. Going direct you cut out the middle man and items should sell for a lower price... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
Economies of Scale. Costs also depend on quantities. And we all know he only buys like two of everything, so one would expect to pay more.

[Modified by GTI-Gabe, 10:33 AM 2-8-2002]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.