VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't usually ask questions like this because i know i can search, but when im dropping as much money as i am i need to be assured that these rims i am buying will be able to fit my jetta without any modifications besides adapters.

16X7
+45

(all around)

i dont know too much about rims cause i was always hands deep in the engine bay. since its almost complete im lookin into the exterior.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats all i needed to know. they were never touched but are in bad shape such as the clear coat pealing but thats it. i wanna do work with them anyways since im not spending large sumps on my engine anymore i need to move onto something else. might as well go all the way with them. thank you for the fast reply

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a friend who powdercoats. when i receive them and take them apart im gunna be looking for opinions :thumbup: i don't know what color would go with my black jetta :confused: def. not black on black i dont think. but i know there is a website where people can get polished lips i wanna do like 1 1/2 up front and maybe 2 1/2 in the rear.

· Registered
10,454 Posts
What size lips are on them now? 1"?

7.5" and 8.5" are good sizes, and your offsets will let you play a lot with adapters to get the perfect fit. As far as lips go, it depends if you want slant or step lips. BFI has slant, but not always in stock. Several places have step lips, but most are overseas. OEM silver for the color is my opinion.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya, the lips are 1inch all around. and the centers have flaws on it so without a doubt its getting refurbished and i am very undecided about what color i want the centers to be. but its gotta flow with the polished lips ahh finally moving on to a new project :D

· Registered
5,337 Posts
Well lets see what you can do here

i have 16x7 with et 13.5 right now which is pretty flush up front on a healthy roll. and 16x8 et 11 rear and the lips are just at or outside the fender. Could probably sit the fender on the lip.

So with a 16x7 et 43 and 20mm adapters you get et 23. add another inch to the lip and your flush at et 10.5-11 ish.

rear you could do 3" lips with 20mm adapters and have a final et of about 0 on a 16x9 which if i'm not mistaken is perfect. i have an et of 11mm with an 8 and you have an et of 23 with an 8. Translates to you having 12mm more to go than me so you can add the inch lip which is 25mm more but results in 25/2 less et which is 12.5.

Hope this is kinda clear. Got a little confused while writting this:laugh:

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no that is perfect because that is what im going for. i could go with the 3 inch lip but from the 1 1/2 to 3 inch is that a little too dramatic?thank you for specifying where i would be sitting with the different types of adapter sizes.

· Registered
7,983 Posts
its not dramatic. you just have to understand the wider you make them the lower the et goes. :thumbup:

· Banned
11,598 Posts
Well lets see what you can do here

i have 16x7 with et 13.5 right now which is pretty flush up front on a healthy roll. and 16x8 et 11 rear and the lips are just at or outside the fender. Could probably sit the fender on the lip.

So with a 16x7 et 43 and 20mm adapters you get et 23. add another inch to the lip and your flush at et 10.5-11 ish.

rear you could do 3" lips with 20mm adapters and have a final et of about 0 on a 16x9 which if i'm not mistaken is perfect. i have an et of 11mm with an 8 and you have an et of 23 with an 8. Translates to you having 12mm more to go than me so you can add the inch lip which is 25mm more but results in 25/2 less et which is 12.5.

Hope this is kinda clear. Got a little confused while writting this:laugh:

You are off on your calculations

a 7.5 et20 is pretty flush up front
a 9 et0 in the rear is massive poke

I have et12 on a 9 and I sit at least 1/2"-3/4" outside the fender in the rear.

If you want to be flush then do a 9 et20-25 in the back

IF I build a new set of wheels....they will be 10s in the rear and slightly poke.

It's all about understanding your offsets.

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you all for everyone's reply's i really appreciate all the feedback especially for the offsets. really helped me out. i cant wait to start building on these. after all the trouble i went through with my engine its deffinately time for a new project that i will stay interested in. i saw charmanders build and that really inspired me so DAMN i wish i had a windsor blue jetta....
http://forums.motivemag.com/showthread.php?4173528
its a shame he parted his car out :( from what i saw/heard

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you, i did some research and i know the lips are a pretty penny. but thats why when i start a build i only concentrate on what i am building :) ill post some updates on everything as things happen for me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.