VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Murray's now stock Bosch ICON wiper blades. They are the new beam style. I would really like to try this kind of blade. They work amazing on new cars. However they don't list them for older VWs. Anybody know of a beam style blade that will work? I think I could just match one to the a blade that will work.

· Registered
1,957 Posts
Re: (izzo)

Quote, originally posted by izzo »
What do you folks think of Rain-X wipers?

I didn't know rain-x made wipers, but i'm one who's usually willing to try new things when it comes to wipers. I have this thing about wipers that they have to wipe a window absolutely PERFECTLY or I get really annoyed. I'm still looking for the ultimate wipers, hence my willingness to try new ones. I haven't tried the Bosch ICON wipers yet but I'd like to.

· Registered
1,145 Posts
Re: Beam Wiper Blades (VR6_MAN)

The factory beam style wipers on my Audi work pretty good all year round, hot and cold. In snowy weather they stay flexible and very rarely have ice built-up (there is virtually no space for snow/ice to accumulate). The first set lasted for 48,000km before they became too stiff and noisy, then Audi replaced them with new ones under warranty! (They even replaced burnt fog light bulbs under warranty! Figure that!) The only catch (perhaps this is an Audi only problem) is that I have to put a drop of WD40 into each of the two hinges on each wiper arm every 3 months or so, otherwise they would be overcome by friction and hinder the ability of the blades to make good contact with the windshield.
I thought the same would work on my B3 so I bought a set of Reflex brand ones from Canadian Tire. Was I ever wrong! First off, the plastic clips were so poorly designed that they both broke when I tried to install them. I had them exchanged and finally got them pains-takenly installed without breaking anything. They worked so so until the first very cold day when the blades became so stiff that they hardly made contact with the windshield. I used them for only a week and had them taken off, went back to conventional winter blades.
Perhaps only factory original or very high quality ones are worth considering. Forget the Reflex brand or cheap imitations. (The Reflex brands are actually not cheap - the 21" ones are $24 CAD each!)

Modified by blah blah at 9:35 PM 3-16-2006

· Registered
471 Posts
Re: Beam Wiper Blades (A2B4guy)

Quote, originally posted by A2B4guy »
Check out the middle portion of this thread.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1696485

I saw that thread when it posted initially, and I went on down to my freakin autozone, and they had the icons, but the piece that attaches to the windshield wiper is completely different than the pic that is linked to by that forum. Anyone know why? Or do I need to find one for a car other than the new passat or a taurus (what my autozone had in stock)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.