VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
11,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK! So for any fans of the previous "Bear with me but..." my exhaust question was solved but it also produced another question. Am I chipped. Now for anyone not following along I bought my car at a stereotypical used car dealership in MD and got a great price. The thing is though, I don't know much more than a CARFAX history of the car. It has a boost gauge which for a while I thought was all but pointless. When I told a friend who has a GTI 1.8T that I was consistently putting out 15 psi, he didn't believe me. Anyway I thought the GLI was just different but then I did research and although there does not seem to be a completely agreed upon stock boost level, I appear to be above with a seemingly stock car. So, the questions
1. Is 15 psi (boost goes up to 15ish and basically stays, not much fading, maybe drops to 13ish depending on conditions) a reasonable stock level?
2. Other than psi is there an irrefutable way to determine if I'm chipped?
3. Would the fact that the previous owner sold it to a used car dealer instead of selling back to VW indicate that there is more going on than meets the eye?
Thanks for the help.

Modified by wc05vwgli at 6:10 AM 11-25-2006

· Registered
1,232 Posts
ur not chipped, being chipped you'll be boosting near 20psi...you'll really feel when your chip, you can easily burn ur tires in first and part of 2nd.
Now with determining what happened with the car, go through the car thoroughly, determine if the had anything aftermarket on it....mine had a aftermarket DV valve so after driving it i knew my car was chipped....If you really need to know, try to find out the previous owners name, my dealer told me (not VW dealer either), i called him up and just pretty much asked what was done to the car. Good luck with everything

· Registered
824 Posts
Re: Bear with me again but... am I chipped? (wc05vwgli)

You probably are chipped. 10 and sometimes 11 PSI is stock. 15 PSI is well above reported stock levels. Just the fact you have a boost gauge probably means the previous owner put it in to monitor the boost levels of the chip they put in. Enjoy

· Registered
6,968 Posts
Re: Bear with me again but... am I chipped? (wc05vwgli)

Quote, originally posted by wc05vwgli »
OK! So for any fans of the previous "Bear with me but..." my exhaust question was solved but it also produced another question. Am I chipped. Now for anyone not following along I bought my car at a stereotypical used car dealership in MD and got a great price. The thing is though, I don't know much more than a CARFAX history of the car. It has a boost gauge which for a while I thought was all but pointless. When I told a friend who has a GTI 1.8T that I was consistently putting out 15 psi, he didn't believe me. Anyway I thought the GLI was just different but then I did research and although there does not seem to be a completely agreed upon stock boost level, I appear to be above with a seemingly stock car. So, the questions
1. Is 15 psi (boost goes up to 15ish and basically stays, not much fading, maybe drops to 13ish depending on conditions) a reasonable stock level?
2. Other than psi is there an irrefutable way to determine if I'm chipped?
3. Would the fact that the previous owner sold it to a used car dealer instead of selling back to VW indicating that there is more going on than meets the eye?
Thanks for the help.
if you get an apr chip and buy the stock mode option, apr's version of stock is more aggressive than the original bosch programing. ive done trial burns for people and after the trial ends they report gaining 3-5 psi extra on the gauge. im not saying that your car is chipped, im just saying what i know first hand. apr's 93 octane mode should get you 18-20 psi. if your car has an apr chip, turn your cruise control on and hold down the set button till the check engine light starts to flash. if it flashes you have apr.

Modified by klausgli at 6:25 PM 11-24-2006

· Premium Member
7,521 Posts
Re: Bear with me again but... am I chipped? (20th875)

MBC is a possibility also

· Registered
824 Posts
Re: Bear with me again but... am I chipped? (GLI Dan)

Quote, originally posted by GLI Dan »
MBC is a possibility also

MBC and diode.
^^^^ post above is also helpful. Try the cruise control (hold "set" button down for 5+ seconds and watch for CEL to flash) and you'll know whether or not you have APR. No flash, no APR.

· Registered
11,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Bear with me again but... am I chipped? (20th875)

Thanks for all the help, to respond to a post above, I can burn my tires/get wheel spin with very little gas in first and with a little more, but not much effort in second. It is so sensitive that launching the car is all but impossible b/c with a little gas it crawls but with a little more than a little (i know that sounds weird) I spin my wheels and get nowhere. Anyway don't know if this is relevant or not but I am going to call the previous owner either tomorrow or Sunday. Thanks again.

Modified by wc05vwgli at 7:40 PM 11-24-2006

· Registered
130 Posts
sounds chipped to me. stock is around 8-10 psi, if you're holding 15, you're chipped. I had to go through this whole thing just in the last two weeks because we thought the GTI we bought was chipped. Not chipped, the car does not burn rubber in first unless the road is choppy or you drop the clutch, and def. not in second ever.
If you can contact the owner, it may be useful to find out what kind of chip it does have.

· Registered
11,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did the check for the APR chip and I believe I did it right and no CEL light came on. Could 15 psi be something other than a chip? This is my first VW so I'm not 100% familiar with the 1.8T engine. Would a DV be able to do this to a car? Should I check for some other brand chip? I am planning on calling the owner but the title with their name on it is in the bank so that might take some time.

· Registered
824 Posts
Re: (wc05vwgli)

Quote, originally posted by wc05vwgli »
I did the check for the APR chip and I believe I did it right and no CEL light came on. Could 15 psi be something other than a chip? This is my first VW so I'm not 100% familiar with the 1.8T engine. Would a DV be able to do this to a car? Should I check for some other brand chip? I am planning on calling the owner but the title with their name on it is in the bank so that might take some time.

Just because you didn't get a flashing CEL doesn't mean you don't have a chip. It just means you don't have APR. You could have anyone of the other chips though. But it does sound like you have a chip nonetheless (or an MBC and diode).
A DV, stock or upgraded, will NOT do this to a car. It can't. It's just there to vent the boost when you let off the gas. If you have the stock one, it is just fine. If you have an aftermarket one, that's fine too. But it won't make any extra hp or boost.
Maybe you should go into the Technical area of VWVortex and look at the VAG-COM Diagnostic Forum for some answers on chipping. Maybe run a search and see what you find. If you're not satisfied with what you find, start a similar thread there. Good luck.

· Registered
11,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (20th875)

I definitely will run a VAG-COM Diagnostic search. Thanks for all the help though, seriously I have never seen any other forums where people help as much or as quickly. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
11,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (GrkTurbo)

After doing some more research I want to run another test by everyone. Would my rev limiter be an indicator of a chip? Should I try going redline+ in first and see if the rev limiter kicks in or is that not reliable or good for the car? Thanks.

· Registered
7,028 Posts
ok...as for the rev. limiter...its 6800 stock i believe so anything past that should indicate something has been done.
now, i got the apr trial not to long ago. i have a tip so my boost stays higher longer...but i was hittin 10-11psi spikes before the trial. now i hit 12-13psi spikes and hold 10 til redline but thats b/c of the tip...i say you might have upsolute or something...

· Registered
11,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (jar_bond)

Does APR keep the VIN numbers of cars they chip? Or the main question how can I tell if I have an APR chip. And also just an update on me calling the previous owner. I know the last owners name but I can't find their phone number in any directories or anything so that seems like a dead end.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.