VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road and Track has a cool series called “Better than Coffee”, a series of videos on great sounding vehicles. What vehicle has always stood out to you as an amazing sounding engine or exhaust note? I’ve always enjoyed the sound of the pushrod V8s in the multitude of Corvettes.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
The one that sounds like an entire friggen Formula 1 race going by... Ferrari F355 with a Capristo exhaust.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
All of mine are attainable production cars from the 90's.

V8: SN95 Mustang cobra with the 32v. When opened up a bit (not straight-piped) they sound like the devil lives under the hood.
V6: I'm a little biased, but the VW VR6 and Audi V6's sound great on both intake and exhaust sides when opened up. Alfa Romeo V6 also sounds great.
I4: Easy to make them sound good on the induction side, but tough on the exhaust in NA form. For the 90's I'd go SRT-4 and the Abarth is a great sounding modern I4. I'm also biased and think a VW 8v with a TT Borla sounds good...

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
4,737 Posts
There's a lot of good sounding cars, but for me there's absolutely no contest here. Ferrari's V10 F1 cars.

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert
1,146 Posts
Ferrari's V10 F1 cars.

Feeling very fortunate to have actually seen and heard this era of Formula 1 racing, in the United States, multiple times. A bygone era.

I like the sound of a 6 cylinder car myself, of any variety.. flat, Vee, or inline. But best sounding car? Woof.... perhaps a GT- series Porsche at full blast?

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
23,850 Posts
Came for the turbo inline 5, leaving satisfied.
Agree. I owned a QSW with an aftermarket exhaust for a while and even without the turbo, an inline 5 is just a great sound.

..also surprised the VR6 hasn't been mentioned. Not that a Ferrari or other exotic doesn't sound amazing, but I perk up every time I hear a VR with an exhaust.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
I think that about does it.

VR6? check
F355? check
V10 F1? check
V12 F50? check
787B? check
Group B Quattro? check

Sure there are some more really good ones out there, but so far this thread DELIVERS!!!

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,688 Posts
I'm sorry, but this thing sounds so much worse than anything posted in this thread. :laugh:
I like it as a rally car (I admit there are better sounding rally cars but this was an easy video to find). It sure would make for an obnoxious street car though! :laugh:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts