VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert
1,146 Posts
I was expecting Gunilla Friden at the top of the hill.

Ahh, excellent reference. What a trip.. I haven’t watched C’était un rendez-vous in probably a decade. Gonna have to remember to watch that on a big screen with a good audio system now that I’ve graduated from YouTube on a laptop.

·
Registered
16,525 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Damn. My new favorite thread. Just throwing out something more attainable like the VR6 and Audi/VW’s in-line 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Widening the scope a little brings in my all-time favourite, the two-wheeled Honda CBX:

https://youtu.be/lal5UgVyiiU

Videos just don’t seem to do it enough justice...so awesome.
Came to post this and leaving satisfied.

So many great mentions already, would be impossible to choose just one. I think some are very much linked to our childhood impressions etc.

One of my neighbours had a BMW 635csi with a local exhaust system but it sounded amazing, he also had a Mazda B3000, I think these might have been a South African special model that came from the factory with the Ford Essex 3L V6, again he had some exhaust system but those sounds have stuck with me.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
The Yamaha V6 Taurus SHO. Yes, still.

This vid has been floating around on the internet for a while, and pretty accurately conveys what it sounds like inside when the secondaries open up.

It still raises every hair on the back of my neck:

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I'm gonna throw another Yamaha motor in the mix. Not the BEST by any means but for an affordable unusual V8, the 2005-2011 Volvo V8 XC90/S80. Sounds very nice with a muffler/resonator delete.

I used to have a 2007 XC90 V8 Sport for a work vehicle before my current XC60. Passion Red of course. Top 5 favorite cars I've ever had.

·
Registered
545 Posts
An even more accessible car is anything with the VW 2.5L inline 5, so that pretty much covers a lot of Jettas, Golfs, and Passats.
Factory mufflers give it a hint of that V10 note, but an aftermarket exhaust is a must. I still find myself browsing Craigslist for that rare Passat 2.5L with a manual (honestly I'd even take an automatic) because the engine sound is sooo cool from such a commonplace car.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Nobody has said "straight piped VR6" yet. TCL is growing up. :thumbup:
As I'm on my 3rd VR6 powered car, but on the tail end of my 30s, I can't get out of my head the ridiculously fun gurgly wookiee roar of straight piped VRs I've had the pleasure of driving in my past, but can't subject myself to that level of volume, but would love to recapture the tone and gurgle.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

This should be way, way higher in this thread, because it's the correct answer.

There is literally NOTHING that compares against BMW's M88 engine in full song, especially when it's mounted in a M1 Procar.

I've seen a few of these live at the Nürburgring and Spa and even when there's 30 other cars on track you can pick out the M1s blind.

The engine doesn't necessarily have to be in an M1 though. In a M635 it sounds equally glorious.

I've seen a lot of different classic racecars at Spa and the 'ring - Group A, Porsche 917s, Can Ams, vintage F1, hell, even Group C. Still nothing holds a candle to the pure fury of the M88.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts