VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't care what anyone says- I have always loved the E65/66

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

But mechanically/electronically these might be the biggest turds BMW ever put on the road.

Honorable mention goes to the Lincoln Navigator....... I have always loved the shape of these. Nice low shoulder line, good proportions. Kind of want to do a YOLO minivan -> Navigator EB trade.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
9,140 Posts
Fantastic car, flabbergastingly gorgeous, was something of an idol for me in high school and I still love them. But between maintenance questions, fire concerns, waaay overpaying for an MT, and driving around knowing people think I'm either a coked-up investment banker, a try hard that couldn't afford a current one, or both...hard pass.

I love these as much as everybody else. Quite possibly the most beautiful car ever made. But I don't want the pressure of driving around with traffic in something tantamount to historic artwork and can't bear to let cars collect dust in the garage either. I'll leave these to the museums.

I love the look of large coupes, and this one is huge. Problem is, really I only like looking at them, if I own something that size it needs to be more useful, or something that expensive, a sports car.

·
Registered
51,069 Posts
Ferrari is a beautiful car but they are maintenance nightmares and sometimes catch fire.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I have no real single source of info, but newer Lincolns such as the Aviator are apparently hot garbage in many annoying ways. I remember sitting in the (then new) Continental at the Denver Auto Show and was impressed, thinking they might be a good buy used in a few years.

Wheel Tire Car Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2018 VW GTI
22,710 Posts
Any modern Volvo that has an internal combustion engine.

Great looking cars but I'm not touching those supercharged and turbocharged (and hybridized in some of them) nightmares that power them.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Window Automotive tire

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Fantastic car, flabbergastingly gorgeous, was something of an idol for me in high school and I still love them. But between maintenance questions, fire concerns, waaay overpaying for an MT, and driving around knowing people think I'm either a coked-up investment banker, a try hard that couldn't afford a current one, or both...hard pass.

I love these as much as everybody else. Quite possibly the most beautiful car ever made. But I don't want the pressure of driving around with traffic in something tantamount to historic artwork and can't bear to let cars collect dust in the garage either. I'll leave these to the museums.

I love the look of large coupes, and this one is huge. Problem is, really I only like looking at them, if I own something that size it needs to be more useful, or something that expensive, a sports car.
Feel the same way about Ferraris in general. As an Alfa guy, I love the Italian styling and glorious sound, but I would have a very hard time getting over the D-bag image and the obnoxious maintenance requirements. Admit I was tempted by 360s back when you could get a MT coupe for $60k, but at current prices I’m not remotely tempted to buy one.

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,596 Posts
What no one has said E60 M5 yet? 😁 Really any M5 but the E60--amazing machine, can be bought for real cheap...but is real expensive to maintain, never mind repair.

Dougie sums it up here:

RS3. Would love to own one but could never afford to own one.
Eh I would not say "never". I believe RS3 values are artificially inflated for the time being, largely due to the market in general. I don't see these holding Porsche-like value when the market goes back to normal and they get to be like 7+ years old.

·
Registered
2022 TLX Type S
736 Posts

Great looking cars but I'm not touching those supercharged and turbocharged (and hybridized in some of them) nightmares that power them.

View attachment 197593

View attachment 197594
Really like the V60 T8 Polestar. Always been a fan of fast wagons, and it looks spectacular. However as you said, the complexity of the drivetrain scares me (no idea if they are actually reliable or not).

·
Registered
2021 Jetta SE
54 Posts
It was reading about the supercharged AND turbocharged Volvos that convinced me that the car market really was going to change over to EVs. How does a company make money mass-producing vehicles with this level of mechanical complexity?

·
Premium Member
'21 M2 6MT
3,406 Posts

View attachment 197593

View attachment 197594
do you have any evidence the turbo/supercharged engines have issues, or are you just saying that because it seems complicated?

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I drove an F430 F1............. a case of "dont meet your heroes"

Also have a big soft spot for those big Benz coupes, but zero desire to own one. Coupe impracticality + large sedan dynamics = why. As this thread speaks to, I've learned that I don't have to own a car to enjoy its beauty.

Reactions: ghost03
1 - 20 of 187 Posts