VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1,321 - 1,332 of 1,332 Posts
Discussion starter · #1,321 ·
About time for an update. :thumbup:
Coming soon. I got scolded on Instagram for an update as well:laugh: Working on content.

Discussion starter · #1,322 · (Edited)
So.... Its been a bit. I've been putting in work this year making up for lost time the past 2 summers of suck. Been doing a lot of Karting, crewing for Chump Car, and have a couple track days under my belt for the year with plenty more on the schedule. The car is running great. After throwing too much money on a new body harnesses and ECU's trying to start over I ditched that idea and went back to my simplified harness and with Mr. Lyon's help sorted out my speedo issue and can scan the car now. Currently sitting on a body harness, a couple engine harnesses, and 2 ECU's if anyone is in the market. Figured out the lag issue. Replaced the Cam position sensor and it drives like a whole different car. Unfortunately I didn't take the Golf to the Gridlife event at Mid Ohio. I got it sorted a few days before and wasn't comfortable not having any shake down time prior to driving it there, beating on it for 2 days, then drive home. Luckily the week before I started prepping my E90 328xi daily driver as a back up. It was fun to rip around Mid Ohio, I just wish it would have been in the Golf. The 15in run flats on the BMW gave up half way through the 2nd day.

Shortly after Gridlife I traded the BMW for a truck. Luckily it has the factory tow package. Has already helped out with stuff for the house and I no longer have to question if I trust driving the Golf to and from a track day. You could say I really really like my truck thus far. Just don't like filling the gas tank:laugh:

Properly wired my fans since I had burnt up both fans switches not running relays. Mounted an aux fuse panel to keep everything organized and protected.

A few glamour shots. Trying to dust off the SLR. I don't know why I'm never motivated in the off season to shoot.

Last weekend I did a track day at the newly repaved Nelsons Ledges Road Course. The group I was with was the first to hit the new tarmac. The last time I was at this track was 2013 and the track was super bumpy from all the patch work and the car was set up completely different. I'm ecstatic to say that I improved my best time from the last outing by 8 seconds! Would love to knock out at least 4-5 more. The car performed great. I had a few offs. Had to dial in the brake balance since this was the first track outing since ditching the ABS also made a few rookie mistakes and 1 that was not my fault. One big spin off ripped off and shattered my front valance. At the end of the day when the track was cold I went out and found most of the lip and pieced it back together for day2. Of course the very first session of day2 I went off again(lack of sleep) and smashed part of the lip again:laugh:

Planning on doing another 2 day event at Mid Ohio at the beginning of Sept. Will be great to be driving the proper car for this one. My Chumpcar team still has a race at Gingerman in August and Mid Ohio in Sept and maybe Oct. I'm just crewing this year and trying to learn as much as I can. They've asked me a few times when I'm going to hop in and drive but I need a bit more seat time before I think I'll feel comfortable in the car for a 2hr stint with all the other hooligans out there:laugh: We started Watkins Glen last month with 107 cars on the grid. That's a lot of traffic!:laugh:

This is Stella. MKIII Jetta, Turbo'd ABA. Turbo set up by Josh from Nothing Leaves Stock(also one of the drivers)

I'm really trying to go hard with the motorsports this year or at least as hard as my wallet will allow
:laugh:

Discussion starter · #1,324 ·
Registered for another 2 day event at Mid Ohio :beer: Cant wait to see what lap times are compared to the BMW. Less HP but less weight and proper brakes/suspension.

Discussion starter · #1,328 ·
You and this car still around?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
:wave: I randomly logged in today after who knows how long. Really surprised I remembered my password:laugh: Still around. I'll probably put together some sort of update soon:beer:

1,321 - 1,332 of 1,332 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.