VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on this forum for some time. decided it was time to post up some shots of my new project.
I bought this 96 gti off some old grandma who rear ended a suv. Cleanest mk3 I ever owned, not a single spot of rust. I only have one pic of it before caging it:

And then a couple years later:

some goodies that go in it after paint. But I will post about that stuff later :).

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Nice! 16v though? Bleeeehh, in there for a class or something?

Interested in hearing what the plans are. Suspension, engine, etc. Looks legit so far. :thumbup:

What other cars do you rally? How have they been set up, and for any particular class? How often do you race?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LG6R

A COUPLE YEARS??

Damn- along with some serious skill, you've got a lot of patience.
Yah been busy with other projects and work so this one took a while. I have over 500 hours in this shell alone.

root beer

Nice! 16v though? Bleeeehh, in there for a class or something?

Interested in hearing what the plans are. Suspension, engine, etc. Looks legit so far.

What other cars do you rally? How have they been set up, and for any particular class? How often do you race?
Yah I love 16v's. There is nothing better then the sound of a properly tuned 13.0:1 comp. , 288* cammed , itb'd 16v screaming at 9k revs. :)

Well I have been collecting parts for a while now still need tons of stuff but so far heres what I got.
Group A sachs rally suspension what the older mk3 kitcars ran. 16v 9a engine with lightened /balanced crank, 13.0:1 pistons, schrick 288* cams with solid lifters and light springs, itbs. Some other stuff I am forgetting.
I had a evo 9 that I did a few events on. Here is just a short clip of me testing it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfCgjDmc19A&feature=relmfu . It is basically a full open class evo running 300hp and 450 lbs torque. But sold that car and now building a new evo 10. I don't race too often ,way to expensive, but hopefully that will change when I finish this golf >:) .

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like an awesome project. Can't wait to see how you put it together. Ever consider going n/a 20v? What management are you playing with?
Yah I thought about it, but I already had the cams and 16v parts so for now it will be a 16v. Maybe after I get bored I will build a high compression 2.1 20v. I actually thought of using the new 5 cyl. out of the mk5 rabbit but cutting that far into the rail to fit it scares me and the lack of n/a performance parts for it. I am thinking of going either DTA, vi-pec, or AEM. After I spray the car I will start building a full custom wire harness for it.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.