VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the market for a Turbo S Beetle, after all the horror stories I've heard, I wanted to get some input on what kinds of problems new Beetle owners have experienced. I'm interested in finding out if anyone has had any electrical, interior, or exterior problems? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Slightly Arrogant
yet
Desperately Sincere
Hunter Rose

·
Registered
414 Posts
Re: beetle pros and cons? (sickmodboy)

my only beef are the cup holders... they could hold one of those huge cups from like taco bell but the cup wont fit under the dash.... its not that big of a deal tho. and i had a 99 beetle have the door grabs start to peel, my new one hasnt done that yet. it may not be a common thing

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Re: beetle pros and cons? (02BeetleSport)

My door grabs are peeling too
Also, I have had to change my automatic window buttons three times because they always break, thank goodness it's only a plastic piece, but even then, that little thing costed me like $60 I think.
If I can think of more problems that I have had in the past, I shall notify you

·
Registered
10,140 Posts
Re: beetle pros and cons? (Projekt-Chick)

I have a 2000. And have only had two problems so far.
First, the rear hatch latch went bad, and had to be replaced (actually, it was a solenoid in the latch that went bad). The second problem is my Check Engine Light just came on. So it's going in tomorrow for that.
That's not a whole lot for a 2+ year old car. I've owned American, Japanese, and German cars, and this is by far, the one I've had the best luck with. I've been pretty lucky with the Japanese cars as well, but still, this has given me less problems than any other car I've owned.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: beetle pros and cons? (pdoel)

I have a 2k beetle, most common problem for me, was my check engine light, which 4 of 4 times has been the O2 sensor...and my light is on again...<sigh>
another problem I've had, are the driver's side door switches, the gas cover switch was stuck and the cover wouldn't stay down, and the trunk switch was stuck once, oh, and the window switches fell off once as well
despite those minor problems, I would definatly advise getting one / own another

[Modified by gravitywell, 2:35 AM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Re: beetle pros and cons? (Vapor B)

From what I've seen, there have been two problems that I hear about more than anything else.
MAF sensor- seems to plague TDIs more than the rest
Fuel/Rear hatch gets stuck open/closed- Usually just a cable or solenoid
I have only had the fuel door stick on my NB, and it was just a quick warranty fix. Other than that, tip top.

·
Registered
83 Posts

I have 1999 (produced in June) and have just some minor problems. The one-touch function on the driver's side window switch broke ($25 part, fixed it myself), peeling grab handles (bought brand new pair from dealer for $12 and then painted them. Its been 1 year now and they look brand new still), detorated vacuum hose that caused cell light to trigger ($8 part, replaced myself in 20 minutes), broken window regulator (replced by VW out of warranty for free, done in like an hour and half). Thats it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thank you for all the input, I'm pretty sure that I'll be going for a Volkswagen. As to which one, I'm really leaning into a Beetle. All of your comments have been greatly appreciated, and tremendously helpful.
Again thank's!
Slightly Arrogant
yet
Desperately Sincere
Hunter Rose

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

Another recent problem is that my check engine light keeps going on and off, I don't want to drive it to get it checked and on the way there have it turn off so I'm kind of waiting it out, but it makes me nervous because something could be wrong and I won't know it.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Don't worry that the light turns off... have the check it over anyway because the fault codes are stored in memory and they can tell what has been happening even if the light is off when you get there.
As far as my problems go, I've had an abundance:
-turn signals refused to work one cold, wet day
-alarm sounded off just for something to do, again a cold wet winter day
-fuel door latch stuck open due to ice, easy fix with de-icer
-MAF sensor went south just before 2 year warranty expired (thankfully)
-spoiler just never works right... on good warm dry days it will, but any other time, it's hard to control it
-snap post for the passenger side floor mat broke
-mirror adjuster broke
and there are others, but I don't remember them all
Thing is, these events were spread out over the 2.5 years since I have owned the car, and none were severe enough that the car wouldn't get me home, or anywhere else, for that matter.
Apart from a few small annoyances (like plastic thingies breaking, mostly) the car has been rock solid and I'd recommend that you get one right away! - you'll thank yourself as soon as you realize what you've been missing

·
Registered
710 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Another recent problem is that my check engine light keeps going on and off, I don't want to drive it to get it checked and on the way there have it turn off so I'm kind of waiting it out, but it makes me nervous because something could be wrong and I won't know it.[HR][/HR]​
Gas tank cap not turned tightly enough???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: beetle pros and cons? (vuu16v)

I have a 99 GLS. Here is the list of problems I have had (no particular order)
-Driver's side window switches broke (3 times)
-Power Mirror control broke (2 times)
-Driver's side window fell into door (bad regulator - window taped up for two weeks)
-Door handles peeling
-Trunk release not functioning correctly (can't remember how many times it was in the shop for this)
-Gas guage won't register intermittently
-Check Engine light would stay on
-Cold temp light would come on intermittently
-Vaccuum hose had to be replaced
-Head unit had to be replaced
-Antenna had to be replaced
-Brake swith (which controls shifting out of Park) broke leaving me stranded (2 times)
-Drivers side window would only go half-way up.
-CD Changer skips like a banshee
-One night the alarm decided to go off about 3 times in the middle of the night for no reason. Ended up disconnecting the battery at 3:30 am.
That's all I can remember at present. Not to mention that VW Service is horrendous. I'm glad I finally found a good VW Service department after I was asked never to come back to the dealership closest to me.

·
Registered
231 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]beetle pros and cons?- people thinking you're gay.[HR][/HR]​
People think all vw’s are chick cars so you look like a **** in all your cars except maybe that passat…but I see that your wife’s car.

·
Banned
5,228 Posts
Re: beetle pros and cons? (borch)

quote:[HR][/HR]beetle pros and cons?- people thinking you're gay.
People think all vw?s are chick cars so you look like a **** in all your cars except maybe that passat?but I see that your wife?s car.[HR][/HR]​
Actually, the only guys who think that are those w/ mullets three times as long as their manhood. Do you qualify?
Seriously, look up the demographics on all VWs and tell me what you find. Umm-hmm, thought so.

·
Banned
4,266 Posts

borch:
quote:[HR][/HR]People think all vw’s are chick cars so you look like a **** in all your cars except maybe that passat…but I see that your wife’s car.
[HR][/HR]​

vuu16v:
quote:[HR][/HR]Actually, the only guys who think that are those w/ mullets three times as long as their manhood. Do you qualify?
Seriously, look up the demographics on all VWs and tell me what you find. Umm-hmm, thought so.[HR][/HR]​

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....... borch got OWNED http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by BlueyedBoi69, 4:53 PM 8-12-2002]

·
Registered
328 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]beetle pros and cons?- people thinking you're gay.[HR][/HR]​
Ugh. How effing juvenile.
As for my cons:
Rear seat back would be nice with a 50/50 or 60/40 split. Would make the trunk just a touch more useable.
Rear seat headroom is atrocious.

·
Registered
231 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]beetle pros and cons?- people thinking you're gay.
People think all vw?s are chick cars so you look like a **** in all your cars except maybe that passat?but I see that your wife?s car.Actually, the only guys who think that are those w/ mullets three times as long as their manhood. Do you qualify?
Seriously, look up the demographics on all VWs and tell me what you find. Umm-hmm, thought so.[HR][/HR]​

don’t come here and sh!t on the beetle… face it dude, you drive a chick car too.
p.s. show me the numbers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.