VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the pop up rear spoiler only comes on the 1.8T's, I figured this is the best place to post this.
My gf's 2002 beetle 1.8t sport - The rear spoiler comes up at around 45mph, and it's kind of annoying, especially in traffic, constantly up and down.
Any way to make it come up later, like at around 60mph?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: Beetle rear spoiler - can you change speed at which it pops up? (9A16V)

i thought it went up at 90mph, did they change it? i wonder if this is something that can be changed with vag com??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: Beetle rear spoiler - can you change speed at which it pops up? (01silverGTI)

It can't be changed with a VAG com.. There is a harware control unit somewhere.. On early US spec Beetle Turbo's, the spoiler popped up at about 90mph. Then it was changed more recently to 45mph. Apparantly because people prefered it to operate at a lower speed. Hmm..
Euro/UK Bugs, it's supposed to pop up at 92mph.. But in mine, I hear it go up at pretty much exactly 100mph. And down again at about 80mph. And the UK forum I use, often has questions from people, asking for it to pop up at much lower speeds! 60mph would be a good compromise I think.
I know of a guy on the same UK forums who said he was working on a simple kit that would allow the driver to dial in the speed at which the spoiler goes up and down. But i have not heard anymore on the project for a few months or so now.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Beetle rear spoiler - can you change speed at which it pops up? (01silverGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]i thought it went up at 90mph, did they change it? i wonder if this is something that can be changed with vag com??[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, I know it was recently changed to 45mph. That thing is not subtle, you really hear it.

·
Banned
13,061 Posts
Re: Beetle rear spoiler - can you change speed at which it pops up? (9A16V)

Alex,
Need to get hold of the electrical schematic for the TurboS NB. If the car won't be operated over ~100mph, you should be able to unplug the harness connector on the spoiler lift motor.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Beetle rear spoiler - can you change speed at which it pops up? (Electron Man)

quote:[HR][/HR]Alex,
Need to get hold of the electrical schematic for the TurboS NB. If the car won't be operated over ~100mph, you should be able to unplug the harness connector on the spoiler lift motor.[HR][/HR]​
That's the thing though, I don't want to turn it off completely. I'd rather have it like the older models and have it go up at 90mph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.