VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not know a lot about turbos but, I know that turbo uses exhaust gass to spin a turbine that pushes air into the cylinder, so basically somehow get the gas from exhaust manifold to go into the turbo charger then from that to the cylinder. I want to try to make my own turbo charger since the cheapest turbo kit goes around few thousand dollars, does it matter what turbine i use ?I mean can i just get a turbo from a scrapyard from any car ? i mean i know that the turbine for a 2L car will not put that much power but big power is not what im interested in, just the simplest turbo setup possible. just so i get the concept of it.
I was wondering if there are any websites that have a little theory on turbo, i looked around and the only good one i found was on the http://www.vw.com they explained it but the diagrams were fairly crappy.
thank you

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Begginer: Custom Turbo (German Muscle)

i red a whole bunch of stuff on turbos, and it says that the turbine needs a steady flow of oil to it because it spins so fast, how do you get oil to the turbine ? do you use the engine oil ? or does the turbine needs its own oil pump ?

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Re: Begginer: Custom Turbo (AndrewVR6)

Take a look over here to learn more.
Also, get Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. This book is amazing. You'll be amazed what you can learn from just one book. Everything is explained in plain english, with a little bit of engineer talk sometimes. The book is aimed at the do it yourselfer. This book will easily be the most valuable part of your turbo kit!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Begginer: Custom Turbo (speed51133)

quote:[HR][/HR]i would say give up now before you wreck your car.[HR][/HR]​
How so ?? I am planning on buying a used oil pan, then a used manifold then tap a hole in the oilpan and get some muffler shop to bendup and do whatever to the exhaust manifold, the only hard part i can see is the BOV/WASTEGATE now I saw a turbine with Wastegate on it so i am guessing thats settled. How can i wreck the car ? i do not plan on putting 60psi of boost in it, i am looking at very small amounts of boost, i do not want to have to replace the injectors for more fuel so im hoping to find a small turbo. If you have any impressions of what might go wrong by all means please post, i dont want to shoot pistons through my hood

andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.