VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Benefits of higher wattage bulbs?

863 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  jhillyer 
#1 ·
well i read the faqs, and used the search, but could not find what i was looking for.
i am getting a set of e-code lights, and was looking around and found different wattage h4 bulbs. i was wondering if there was a real noticeable difference in running 100/55w bulbs vrs 60/55 bulbs? i imagine there is, but i don't know, and remember reading something about higher wattage not being a good thing neccesarily?

#2 ·
Re: Benefits of higher wattage bulbs? (The_Hamster)

as far as i know, they'll draw more power and be brighter. just like 40 watt regular light bulbs versus 100 watt bulbs.
However, your stock harness is only prepared to take so much wattage, for the MKIVs anything over 55 watts will melt your harness and/or wires. You could use a relay to handle the extra wattage, but I can't help you with that because I have no experience with them.
Hope that helps.

#4 ·

I had 55/100s in my '90 GLI - they were great! I did wire up a relay for the high beams - and that is highly recommended. Keeps you from frying the wiring and switches - and gives you the maximum light from the 100 watt highs.

#5 ·
Re: Benefits of higher wattage bulbs? (dennisgli)

Look around or run a search on relays in this forum. This has come up several times recently, and the threads had links to different web pages for relay types and purchasing, wiring, schematics, etc.
Here's one from near the bottom of this forum's first page: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1151016
Stock wiring with stock bulbs show improvements in efficiency after installing a set of relays, and the effect would be amplified as the bulb wattage goes up. If you're going to start stuffing increased wattage through those tiny stock wires, you'll only get a portion of that 40W to the bulbs.

Modified by DonL at 10:40 PM 12-17-2003

#6 ·
Re: Benefits of higher wattage bulbs? (DonL)

i already have relays on my car, did that a couple of years ago. i just got some e-code lamps though and have found that you can get 100watt bulbs. i just want ot make sure they will give me a benefit, and not just cause problems with something besides stock wiring.

#7 ·

Quote, originally posted by The_Hamster »
i already have relays on my car, did that a couple of years ago...

Ah, you didn't say that before. You should see a noticable improvment with the higher wattage bulbs, then.

#8 ·

I'm not saying you're a 'tard or anything but...
Make sure that even though you've already got the relays installed that the wiring installed along with it is thick enough (12-14AWG).
If it's not, then you've still defeated the purpose of the relays.
I mean, you can have relays til you're blue in the face but if the wiring is just as thick as the stockies then you will still melt the harness.
And as Tan mentioned, the increased wattage will also bring significant heat increase...And relays won't protect your lamps from that.
Be careful that the increased heat doesn't have a negative impact on the reflective coating in your Ecodes or doesn't melt any part of your lamp. I doubt that will be a problem but I've seen posts about it happening.
Good luck bro.
Later,

#9 ·
Re: Benefits of higher wattage bulbs? (nater)

The increased heat...gets conducted by the terminals, and gets absorbed by the bulb connectors. THe plastic melts, leaving you with a melted harness. Quick inspection visually won't tell you any indications (unless you look at the wiring, which shows some indication at the insulator)....but, when your light is dim....chances are the plastic at the connectors are melted causing a loose connection.
How I know this? Done it before

#12 ·

Quote, originally posted by The_Hamster »
the lenses themselves melting would be my concern then?

I never had any problem with the Hella e-codes on my '90 GLI - they did have glass lenses though. Haven't ordered e-codes for my '03. I would be interested if anybody has actually melted the lenses on an '03 Jetta.

#15 ·
Re: Benefits of higher wattage bulbs? (bergenvr6)

Quote, originally posted by bergenvr6 »
as far as i know, they'll draw more power and be brighter. just like 40 watt regular light bulbs versus 100 watt bulbs.
However, your stock harness is only prepared to take so much wattage, for the MKIVs anything over 55 watts will melt your harness and/or wires. You could use a relay to handle the extra wattage, but I can't help you with that because I have no experience with them.
Hope that helps.

Quite correct about drawing more power. Lamps are rated on consumption, not output, so performance will vary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.