VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

quick back story I had a defective vaccum hose at Bernardi a couple weeks ago.
I was just cleaning my engine bay out general cleaning when I get bored armoral the hoses ya know.... I take my engine cover off and there is a flat head screw driver melted to the top manifold!!!!! basically the engine cover must have been off a screw driver placed on the runners of the intake manifold and left there then trapped there when the engine cover was pt back on.....
ya I know luckaly it was harmless but I left like I just found scissors in me after surgery!
I know the screw driver is form bernardi because its nothing like any of mine and it was right next to the hose that was replaced

I know a couple guys on here work at bernardi and I'm not saying these things don't happen but DAMN I HATE dealers! Bernardi was the only one so far that didn't scare me that much didn't like YEO, N. Shore VW is a Joke (bunch of Aholes), and Boston VW has killed one of my good friends side skirts (ripped the 337 side skirts right off jacking it up)
Mang! where am I gonna go for warrenty work??? I go to a great guy damon over at http://www.germanautosport.com/ great guy great prices he does oil changes ect for me all reg maintainence cause this very situation is what scares me

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts
Re: Bernardi VW left a screw driver in my engine bay!!!! (protijy337)

oh Jimmy??????????

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Re: Bernardi VW left a screw driver in my engine bay!!!! (16v)

Not me, or my brother. I think I remember someone saying he lost a screw driver. What color is it, black? Thats the first time I've heard about that, cause I know how anal those guys are about their tools.

Modified by CorradoG60 at 5:02 PM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
11,512 Posts
Re: Bernardi VW left a screw driver in my engine bay!!!! (CorradoG60)

Id bet the tech that lost the driver had "help" that day, read someone put the cover back on that didnt do the work. S happens, the service is good, right, so why stop going?

·
Banned
1,055 Posts
Re: Bernardi VW left a screw driver in my engine bay!!!! (TheGinMill)

i have lots bits and sockets in customer cars before not on pourpose maybe he didnt see it there, or maybe we was helping someone with another job and was trying to get the car out on time if he is flat rate and just missed it. usually with flat rate you need to hussle to make money. just my thought and 2 cents but hey mistakes happen just because you found a screw driver in your engine bay means you wont go back there anymore? did you talk to the service manager and tell him the situation most of the time he can look up to see who did it, you never know maybe the tech is walking around looking for his screw driver

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
Re: Bernardi VW left a screw driver in my engine bay!!!! (quick_huh)

Quote, originally posted by quick_huh »
you never know maybe the tech is walking around looking for his screw driver

I remember one walking around and asking if people saw it. Some thought it got stolen, because it does happen

·
Registered
2006 P+ A4 3.2 Avant, 2011 C'Dale Bad Boy, 2014 C'Dale Carbon Synapse, 2019 P+ Q5
41,531 Posts

I have accumulated a great tool selection over the years from things left in my car by my mechanic

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

Personally, I think that's a great reason to make sure you use the same dealer for the warranty service you need...assuming they generally do stuff right, the tech who is missing a screwdriver (if he hasn't already heard of it) is probably going to be interested to see his screwdriver melted to your intake.
I actually had the c-clamp tool for the toilet-bowl exhaust mani/downpipe junction fall out of my 91 Jetta shortly after my mechanic installed an exhaust for me (mani-back, and I knew the old mani was going to be a biatch, so I was more than happy to let him do it); I was perfectly willing to go back because I knew he generally did good work (and was completely willing to install my own parts). Heck, I even gave the tool back.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts

quirk vw lef shop towels on mytranny and next to the downpipe
not one towel those idiots left 3 of them my car could have caught on fire !!!!!!!!!!
now i go to a guy named alex wentworth for all my repairs at wentwothmotorsports

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Bernardi VW left a screw driver in my engine bay!!!! (rossovr6)

I now this happens nad the scewdrive has initials on it but I'm keepin that to myself, Just alill thrown by it the work doen was right, guess thats what really matters but I can't help thinking what it it melted them maybe cause fire them me car is in there for 2 weeks getting a ew manifold and a host of electronics would I have to pay for it? no would it be a HUGE pain in my ARSE! yes....
Not lookin to get anyone fired just....I don't know disapointed
and I know tools are expensive I do plan on returnign the screwdriver just don't wanna get the guy in deep dodo if you work at bernardi PM me I'll let you know the initals on the screw driver than way I mayeb able to get it back to the guy/girl

thanks

·
Registered
15,256 Posts

Mechanics work on how many cars a day, week, month, year, in their life? Mistakes are bound to happen thats life. The only way I wouldn't go back is if the mistake they made damaged my car and they would not own up to it and fix it or if they made mistakes over and over again.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Re: Bernardi VW left a screw driver in my engine bay!!!! (g60rabbit)

Yes, these things happen. I work on up to 15 cars a day, and am always under time constraints, shop foreman's presence, etc. Given the stressful nature of a dealership, I'm not surprised at all this happened. I would just toss the screwdriver out and move on with life.

·
Registered
41,531 Posts
Re: Bernardi VW left a screw driver in my engine bay!!!! (GRVR6)

Quote, originally posted by GRVR6 »
Why didn't you return them?

I hold them hostage

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Re: Bernardi VW left a screw driver in my engine bay!!!! (CoolJetta3)

Scored even better when I bought a used tool chest from an auto body shop.
Got it home and took the drawers out to clean it up. Couple 1/4 wrenches or so, couple 1/4 sockets, small screw drivers, and a bunch of junk like air hose connectors and brass t fittings.
I was nice enough to take that stuff back, since I sort of knew the guy. He was laughing his butt off when I brought it back, he had wondered where some of that stuff had gone and was convinced he had lost them or been borrowed and never returned.
However, the Snap on pick tool that I found in my 96 Jetta after having an 02 replace is now mine. A long with the small screw driver I found in mk MK4 after they replaced a tail light under warranty. Tried to return and it the service manager told me to keep it. Dang, techs fault for lossing stuff, he said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts