VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water bottles, big round water bottles. They don't fit in any of the cup holders and they just roll around and around, bang front to back, left to right, everywhere, I hate them.

I had to drop of my daughter for a rehearsal 5 minutes away. As usual, she had to bring her water bottle, which is fine with me. But, "she didn't need there" and left it in the car. My wife does the same, even when going out to eat around town. Does everyone really need to carry a 5 gallons water bottle for a 2-5 minutes ride?

Luckily, I had a carabiner in the glove compartment.

Water bottles and bananas for scale.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2022 Ford F150 (ordered)
4,231 Posts
The water bottles thing drives me crazy too. I like to use my Nalgene bottles and I have a Yeti one like you posted. I usually just set them in the cargo area until we get to our destination. I mean, I typically bring those big bottles with to go hiking or one of the kids' sporting events.

Stack, I try to do the same. Any garbage or excess crap we brought with in the car needs to get taken out when we get home. Of course, that means it usually just sits on top of the washer and dryer but hey, it's outta the car :D

·
Registered
13,731 Posts
I hate any “gear adrift” in my cars. Anything that isn’t supposed to be there (which is minimal) comes out every time the car returns home. Every time.
That's my biggest thing. I don't have kids yet though so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Anything rolling around on seats or the floor will drive me to distraction. I'm not sure if this would fall under "dirty windshield" but I also can't stand streaky windshield wipers and tend to replace them as soon as a quick wipe with alcohol no longer restores proper performance.

I also religiously remove all garbage and unnecessary stuff, but I think that probably goes without saying on this forum, considering our fondness for the excruciating minutiae of car fandom.

Reactions: daev

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
That's my biggest thing. I don't have kids yet though so we'll see how that goes.
If we go anywhere that would necessitate the kids bringing toys or coloring books or whatever with, they load up backpacks and are pretty good at keeping their stuff consolidated to the backpack versus making a mess all over the car.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Anything rolling around on seats or the floor will drive me to distraction. I'm not sure if this would fall under "dirty windshield" but I also can't stand streaky windshield wipers and tend to replace them as soon as a quick wipe with alcohol no longer restores proper performance.

I also religiously remove all garbage and unnecessary stuff, but I think that probably goes without saying on this forum, considering our fondness for the excruciating minutiae of car fandom.
The windshield being dirty on the inside and the piano black trim being dusty is frustrating as well. I have a little duster mitt in the center console that I use. It's quick and easy to keep the dash and windshield cleaned up if my wife is running into a store or to get the kiddo from daycare. (y)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Personally I hate it when the seat/wheel are too adjustable but have no memory and it takes me forever to find the perfect fit. I hate it when others drive my car at that point because everything will be ruined.

·
Super Moderator
7,336 Posts
Bird poop. I have to get it off the paint immediately.

If I'm driving and it hits the car and I see it... 99% of the time, I'm stopping.

I'm on the east coast right now, in a nice green part of town, and the Range Rover is getting bombed daily, Black paint, birds, and direct high summer sunlight is a bad mix.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Bird poop. I have to get it off the paint immediately.

If I'm driving and it hits the car and I see it... 99% of the time, I'm stopping.

I'm on the east coast right now, in a nice green part of town, and the Range Rover is getting bombed daily, Black paint, birds, and direct high summer sunlight is a bad mix.
This is a real problem for me too as there's a huge tree that hangs over my driveway. I've started keeping a spray bottle with 1 oz. of Optimum No Rinse and 30 oz. of water handy to use as a quick detailer. It works really well and it's so cheap to make I don't feel bad about using copious amounts of it.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
These are my two water bottles. One of these is with me basically all the time in the car, unless I’m just running a quick errand (and even then it’s 50/50). Both fit just fine in the cup holders of the SUVs; nothing fits well in the S2000 but there’s a spot you can rest a closed bottle. It’s not perfect but it works. I don’t use a water bottle that wouldn’t fit in the cup holder of the SUVs.

Water Drinkware Liquid Bottle Sky

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
Water bottles, big round water bottles. They don't fit in any of the cup holders and they just roll around and around, bang front to back, left to right, everywhere, I hate them.

I had to drop of my daughter for a rehearsal 5 minutes away. As usual, she had to bring her water bottle, which is fine with me. But, "she didn't need there" and left it in the car. My wife does the same, even when going out to eat around town. Does everyone really need to carry a 5 gallons water bottle for a 2-5 minutes ride?

Luckily, I had a carabiner in the glove compartment.

Water bottles and bananas for scale.
These are nice looking seats!

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
Yep. Nothing lives full time in there other than antihistamines, insurance papers and sunglasses. Oh and a charging cable.
The “adrift” part is key for me. My Jeep especially is chock full of stuff, but it all has a place. Nothing is laying out. Glovebox, armrest, underfloor compartment are all full of stuff that’s supposed to be there but it’s out of sight and stored away.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I don't have kids yet though so we'll see how that goes.
I have kids, for a while I kept everything out of my car, then it just gets old and I realize it's a daily driver, so screw it, unless the car is a complete mess, I don't worry about it all that much. Some day the kids will no longer be riding back there and I'll miss the mess, so I leave it.

Nothing really in my car drives me nuts, the film that gets on the inside of the window is annoying, but not terribly so. I get irrationally annoyed at people with "Zombie Response" stickers on there car, another thing is when I see someone multiple times with a headlight out(talking a car new enough that it tells you in the dash a light is out). Fix the damn light already. I have no explanation for why these things bother me, but they do.

There are waaaaaay too many things for me to list. I'm still trying to cope with the stupid yellow warning text silkscreened onto the sun visors.
I was so happy to discover that in the Volvo those warning stickers can be easily removed.

·
Registered
22,576 Posts
Bug splats that won't come off with washer spray when you are on a road trip
Alignment being slightly off
Tires not being perfectly balanced
Cruise control that guns it up a hill and summons a 6>3 downshift at 4500 RPM — C'mon, we can slow down 2 MPH climbing this hill, ECU (I just turn it off)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I find specially offending, the fact that some people that use tire dressing, appliy it in a way that it does not cover the bottom part of the tire's sidewall. When he tire is rolling, you can see a wobbling effect on the edge of the tire, because of tire dressing not being applied evenly.
When i myself wash the car, i apply it, then roll the car forward until the bottom is now the top of the tire, and reapply the dressing (usually Black Magic).
I guess i am the only one that can NOT see it when rolling, but i KNOW it does happen.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts