VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best spring shock combination for my 97 Golf GL 4door? I want one that gives me a sportier ride, but also one that WILL NOT lower me more than an inch. Also if anyone has picture of cars that would be great also. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (1997 Golf GL)

you LIKE your car to be a 4x4???
if so i would probably go with the neuspeed softsport springs with some kind of sportier shocks such as the bilstien sports.

·
Banned
10,500 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (XSiVE)

mine was lowered about an inch and a half by H&R / Bilstein combo. Not very agressive. I wanted a firmer ride, not necessarily a dropped stance.
Check pics in sig. You'll see that its not very low at all. Lots of people still ask me when i'm gonna lower it, I tell them that its lowered.
i dont think you will find any aftermarket springs that are any less than an inch. sorry bro...

·
Banned
5,873 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (XSiVE)

Neuspeed Sport springs http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
i have a set for 96^ golf/jetta..... $100 you pay shipping.
they were used for 2 months till i got my neuspeed race springs.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (Slapshotnerd)

What is the ride like with your H&R and Bilstein setup? If you can, can you measure how far your front and rear bumpers are from the ground? And just to double check you have H&R Sport Springs, and Bilstein HD's? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (1997 Golf GL)

i also recomend the h&r/belstein combo as i did have it at one time, but now have coilovers.....they are going to cost you a pretty penny around 600-800 bucks...my advice is just save a lil more up and get the h&r stage I coilovers and just leave it at all most the top of the coil...that way if you ever decide you want to go lower...you can just lower the coil...and not have to buy new supsension http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
26,608 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (Euro Flavor)

For barely any drop, I have heard the shine set up works great, and only drops it about .5 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
10,500 Posts

if I had a measuring tape, I'd measure for you. The ride is firmer, turning is alot better (less body roll). The freeway isnt very harsh on the butt at all.
I'm 100% sure that they are H&R sports and Bilstein Sports.
I paid a little under 500 for my springs / shocks. Springs used from vortex, shocks / struts new from carparts.com with a coupon.
I'd offer to give you a ride, but the 3k miles diference may not work out.
I'm sure you can find someone local in NJ who will gladely give you a ride.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (RENNSPORT_Passalt)

quote:[HR][/HR]For barely any drop, I have heard the shine set up works great, and only drops it about .5 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
That is the truth. Those guys are the masters of VW suspension. Just click http://www.srsvw.com and give em a call. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by gin8122, 2:46 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (Slapshotnerd)

quote:[HR][/HR]if I had a measuring tape, I'd measure for you. The ride is firmer, turning is alot better (less body roll). The freeway isnt very harsh on the butt at all.
I'm 100% sure that they are H&R sports and Bilstein Sports.
I paid a little under 500 for my springs / shocks. Springs used from vortex, shocks / struts new from carparts.com with a coupon.
I'd offer to give you a ride, but the 3k miles diference may not work out.
I'm sure you can find someone local in NJ who will gladely give you a ride.[HR][/HR]​
thanks for the info. If you can, can you give me a reference: hand width or length on a bic pen. Thanks for the help again.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Also is there anyone out there that has anything to say about the Neuspeed sport springs?

·
Banned
5,873 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (VolkSchnell-GTI)

ok, allow me to say this one more time....

i have a set of these, still like new.
quote:[HR][/HR]Neuspeed Sport springs http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
i have a set for 96^ golf/jetta..... $100 you pay shipping.
they were used for 2 months till i got my neuspeed race springs.[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (spaz_666)

quote:[HR][/HR]Before you go shine, please read this...
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=142411 [HR][/HR]​
As with all mods, it's a matter of personal taste.
I've got the full Shine Real Street setup on my VR6, and I love it. Drop is minimal (I don't want to plow the snow in the winter), and the performance is very, very good. Yes, the Shine setup is quite stiff. Yes, the ride feels a bit "busy" on bumpy roads--but it's never been too much for me to stand, and I've never really considered it to be "harsh". If I lived in an area with horrible roads and concrete slab highways, I'd probably have a different opinion.
In the meantime, the TT exhuast I had droned HORRIBLY between 2k and 3k RPM so I took it off in favor of the Jetex. Yet, if you ask the Vortex which exhaust is best, the majority will proclaim TT to be the best exhaust to ever grace a VW. (I do plan to put a TT on my Scirocco, though, so I haven't given up on 'em altogether.)
Like I said, it's a matter of personal taste. If you can, ride in other peoples' cars with various suspension setups and see what you think before spending your money.
Mike

·
Registered
874 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (mec_vw)

quote:[HR][/HR]As with all mods, it's a matter of personal taste[HR][/HR]​
Absolutely. That's pretty much the point that came across in the 4-pages of posts in the Shine rant over in the suspension tuning forum. Like you say, ask Vortex what exhaust, and everyone says TT w/Borla. Ask Vortex what non-drop/minimal-drop suspension to get, and everyone says Shine Real Street.
However, like you with the TT's droning/resonance at certain RPM, i've got a few MAJOR (for me) gripes with the Shine "real street" kit. Just wanted 1997GolfGL to know that there are some of us out here who jumped on the Shine bandwagon, hated it, and couldn't jump off quickly enough.
If you can find people in your area with with suspensions similar to what you're looking for, GREAT! Go for a ride and see how you like it. i wish i could've done that before i bought my SRS.
Good luck.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (mec_vw)

I was after the same thing...the conclusion I came to (without any actual experience mind you) was this (no particular order):
1. Neuspeed Sofsports with Bilstein HD or Sports
2. H&R OE Springs with same shocks as above
3. VR6 stock springs with stock shocks and strut bearing upgrade
Since I have no $$ to speak of, I was able to secure #3 from a good friend in trade. (Still owe him a lunch). This was after I read that the H&R Sports are the same as the VR6 H&R Race springs on the front, rear springs are the same. So I figured that the STOCK VR6 springs should give me maybe 10% increased stiffness in front and back without sacrificing any ride height. Hopefully, the car won't be out of whack with the front end higher than the back but I don't THINK that'll happen. I just have to find the time to do this now.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]What is the best spring shock combination for my 97 Golf GL 4door? I want one that gives me a sportier ride, but also one that WILL NOT lower me more than an inch. Also if anyone has picture of cars that would be great also. Thanks for the help.[HR][/HR]​
Autotech Sport-tuned suspension. I have it and its great! Lowers approx. 1.25". They are Bilstein Sports & Autotech (Hor) Springs.
Selling mine soon -- interested?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (RENNSPORT_Passalt)

quote:[HR][/HR]For barely any drop, I have heard the shine set up works great, and only drops it about .5 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
I heard the Shine set up is really good...def the best suspension with minimal drop.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Re: Best aftermarket suspension without loosing to much ride height???? (spaz_666)

quote:[HR][/HR]Just wanted 1997GolfGL to know that there are some of us out here who jumped on the Shine bandwagon, hated it, and couldn't jump off quickly enough.[HR][/HR]​
Good for you! I'm all for posting opposing viewpoints without getting into flamewars. The more diverse opinions we can give, the better chance the original poster has to reach an educated conclusion. If we all had the same tastes, there wouldn't be so many cool options. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts