VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The obvious good and bad features have been written about and discussed ad nauseam. But what about the lesser known ones?

I'll say the best non-obvious feature is the SD-Card reader and the ability to play FLAC files. Even on my base SE sound system FLAC files sound awesome and the stereo speakers is pretty good as well.

For bad non-obvious features, I wish the TPMS would tell you the actual pressure per tire. Now it only tells you magically if the pressure goes down too low (what is that God knows). On a cold winters day I'd rather not get out of the car and measure each tire pressure individually.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The indirect TPMS using the ABS is a good thing for me. Can swap out wheels without having to buy new sensors and never worry about servicing them. It actually is capable of telling you which individual tire has the issue. Popped up a few times due to picking up nails/screws living in a new construction neighborhood.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The indirect TPMS using the ABS is a good thing for me. Can swap out wheels without having to buy new sensors and never worry about servicing them. It actually is capable of telling you which individual tire has the issue. Popped up a few times due to picking up nails/screws living in a new construction neighborhood.
Yup, completely agree. The simplicity of the system definitely outweighs the lowered accuracy. Plus, for those of us that run different tires in the winter, sensors are a PITA. Not sure how VW works, but I know some manufacturers have very weird (and sometimes expensive) ways to switch sensors between tire changes. Either that, or you have to deal with the light all winter long.

·
Registered
2021 VW Tiguan, R-Line Black (former owner of a 2004 VW Tourareg V8 - 1st model year in the US)
36 Posts
Rear backup camera washer. On my 2021 Tiguan SE R-Line I can push the Windshield Wiper stalk forward (all the way towards the dashboard) and washer fluid will spray from the left side of the backup camera. In addition there's another nozzle that sprays at the same time from above the rear windshield. On prior cars it's always been a little annoying to look through a road grime covered backup camera.

Text Automotive exterior Metal Logo Material property

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rear backup camera washer. On my 2021 Tiguan SE R-Line I can push the Windshield Wiper stalk forward (all the way towards the dashboard) and washer fluid will spray from the left side of the backup camera. In addition there's another nozzle that sprays at the same time from above the rear windshield. On prior cars it's always been a little annoying to look through a road grime covered backup camera.
Huh, I'll have to check if mine has this. I've run my finger over the lens a few times since it gets dirty quick. Never tried to see if I have a washer nozzle.

·
Banned
53,531 Posts

View attachment 60402
The Golf's solution is much nicer, if more costly, with a lens that is enclosed internally when not in use.

·
Registered
2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
4,047 Posts
I like the winter/service mode for the wipers, but probably the all time favourite is the rear camera washer. Really, really helpful, especially in the winter. Notable mention to the dipping passenger side mirror too when in reverse. I'm a little upset that the newer models have a heated wiper park, as that would've been great too, but it was omitted for 2018.

I could really live without the majority of the "safety" systems as I've honestly found they are far more annoying than useful. I'd still take a basic package with parking sensors, 360 camera and BSM.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I a newer owner of a 2021 Tiguan SE Rline and constantly finding new things out about the car. a couple of things that I had questions on and are annoying because I cant figure it out is. Car shutting off except radio - If I go somewhere and then park and sit in my car for a bit it will "sometimes" shut off. For example, if I want to get coffee or something quick, I park and want to leave the car on and lock it but it shuts off. I wondered at first if it tracks location because it mainly happens at my house when I get back but I also notice it other places. Thoughts? the other thing is the fog lights, they seem to go on at random times as well. I believe they go on parking and reversing but I could swear they go on at random times while driving

·
Registered
57 Posts
The fog lights should be controlled by pulling out the light switch. I wonder if you're referring to the cornering lights?
I am going to test it today but yesterday at night pulling out of parking spot fog lights were on without me pulling out light switch and soon as stopped reversing they went off. I will check to make sure they were the fog lights though, I thought it was weird. Do you have any experience with my other concern with car shutting off when parked?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't suppose this is lesser-known, but I like the auto-close feature on the rear hatch. (If equipped, you have a different "close" button to press, then you can load up your arms with crap, and the hatch will close once you and key are away from the vehicle.)

It's not the type of thing you think you need, but it is definitely handy.

@pufffee - I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the shutoff issue you mention.

·
Registered
410 Posts
... Car shutting off except radio - If I go somewhere and then park and sit in my car for a bit it will "sometimes" shut off. ...

I want to be sure I'm clear on engine running vs engine not running but ignition on. "shutting off" could mean two things: the engine stops running and goes to aux-only electrical power, or the engine was off with igition on and the ignition turned off to aux power only.
The only time I know the engine should stop running autonomously is in gear, foot on the brake for auto stop/start, and after the remote-start running time if you don't enter the car and continue with the start button.
If you're sitting in park with the engine running it should continue to run until it runs out of fuel.
If engine is off but ignition on, it will turn off the ignition and leave you with only aux power, by design.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks

This happens when the car is running engine and everything. I get somewhere, put in park and then 30 seconds or so later it shuts engine off says Goodbye but radio can still be on until I exit car. Again, this is not consitant in any way so its weird, it happens at my house alot and I thought maybe it knows I am home? but it has happened at grocery store and other places. But then sometimes it will stay fully running. I will have to pay more attention for when it happens vs not but for now it is random, I mean its not horrible, you should not be sitting in a running car for a long time, but it is nice to be able to go somewhere park, leave it running and go quickly and grab a coffee. especially in Cold NH weather. but now it shuts down and if I want to do what I described I would have restart car.

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,890 Posts
Enable lock with ignition running to grab that coffee in cold weather or hot weather .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Enable lock with ignition running to grab that coffee in cold weather or hot weather .

do you mean just park get out right away and lock car? Sorry If I missed something. just drove home and sat in car once I got home and sure enough engine turned off after about 30 - 45 seconds. saying it is trying to save battery

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,890 Posts
do you mean just park get out right away and lock car? Sorry If I missed something. just drove home and sat in car once I got home and sure enough engine turned off after about 30 - 45 seconds. saying it is trying to save battery
Yea if you turn your engine off battery management will kick in at a certain voltage to save the battery.

Now let’s say you drive to a coffee shop and want to get out but leave the car running you can lock it so the car stays warm or cool depending on the season and your car is safer.

Lock with keyfob while engine running*

09-Central Electronics
Adaptation
Access control – Funk bei Klemme 15 ein
Set to active

*To unlock you will need to use your keyfob, comfort access won’t unlock or lock if the engine is running.

Reactions: pufffee

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea if you turn your engine off battery management will kick in at a certain voltage to save the battery.

Now let’s say you drive to a coffee shop and want to get out but leave the car running you can lock it so the car stays warm or cool depending on the season and your car is safer.

Lock with keyfob while engine running*

09-Central Electronics
Adaptation
Access control – Funk bei Klemme 15 ein
Set to active

*To unlock you will need to use your keyfob, comfort access won’t unlock or lock if the engine is running.

Thank you and I will try that, but I am not turning engine off, it is shutting off for me and leaving just enough to run the radio. I guess it is a time out thing and I guess it is not bad, I mean when you park you are really supposed to exit your car most times lol

·
Registered
2019 Atlas SEL V6
3,890 Posts
Yea that’s normal behavior, just helping since you mentioned you get out for coffee in cold weather.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yea that’s normal behavior, just helping since you mentioned you get out for coffee in cold weather.

sounds good thank you, Since I have your attention and please reply when you have time, no rush on anything. Do you know if there are LEDs out there for 2021 SE R line that would be simple swap out and work well with halogen reflectors, I am seeing some threads reading people are taking bumpers off, etc. I was wondering if you could sway halogen for LED but a good one that is not blinding and wont die quickly. thanks!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts