VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 99.5 jetta with a cracked cylinder head at the auction for just under $3,000. would like to know what engine would be best to put in it. I figure with the money I saved in buying it I wont feel bad about going all out on the engine. I don't want to open the 1.8t vrs. sr6 can of warms, but I searched and could find no information on what I could fit in a jetta. I think I like the idea of the TT 1.8T with 225bhp. Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Re: best audi or dub engine I can fit into my jetta IV (bridman225)

You can put in a VR6 or any version of the 1.8T. Since you're performance oriented, I'll skip the rest of the options. A 225HP TT engine will he harder to come by than a "normal" 1.8T. You may want to consider a 1.8T with a chip.
Is the car you bought a 2.0 jetta or a VR6?
Someone in England put in a 225hp TT engine into a GTI. I think it was GaryH.

·
Registered
21,996 Posts
Re: best audi or dub engine I can fit into my jetta IV (2kjettaguy)

i say try for an 2.7T audi engine. it will be work and will be $$$ but will own when you are done.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Re: best audi or dub engine I can fit into my jetta IV (rockit)

quote:[HR][/HR]i say try for an 2.7T audi engine. it will be work and will be $$$ but will own when you are done.[HR][/HR]​
Bridman225
Are you looking for something that bolts in without major driveline changes or would you be open to the 2.7T?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: best audi or dub engine I can fit into my jetta IV (ze)

thanks for the quick reply.
i'm pretty sure that its a 2.0.
I think bolt on would be the best way for me to go. but I'm open to suggestions What kind of mods do you think would be needed to fit the 2.7 T and have you heard of anyone doing this?
thanks again.

·
Registered
675 Posts

put a VR6 in it and get a turbo kit from eip tuning http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
4,290 Posts

IMO - To fit a 2.7T you would need major modifications to the engine bay as well as converting to AWD. Major $$$.
The 2.7T was designed to be installed longitudinally not transversely. I'd stick to stuff that was designed to fit into A platform cars. The 2.7T is a B platform engine.
Just a thought, wouldn't the cracked cylinder head be covered under the powertrain warranty? Free engine?

[Modified by BostonMk4, 12:13 PM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Re: best audi or dub engine I can fit into my jetta IV (BostonMk4)

Audi S4 bi-Turbo setup. Then upgrade the Turbos, do new rods and pistons, large FMIC, and some exhaust work.... and you'll be puttin' down about 400+hp. Then you'll need a Quattro or 4-motion setup, because... haha.... 2 wheels just won't handle that much power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: best audi or dub engine I can fit into my jetta IV (ONEsickVDUB)

BostonMk4,
the car Appears to have been a repo. thats an interesting thought though. I'll look in to it and get back to you. as for the 2.7T, I think that would be a little to much work.
is the 225bhp 1.8t on any specific year audi? that could make the engine even harder to find. If that is the case, I was thinking an vr6 would prolly be much easier to find then the audi 1.8t.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]is the 225bhp 1.8t on any specific year audi? that could make the engine even harder to find. If that is the case, I was thinking an vr6 would prolly be much easier to find then the audi 1.8t. [HR][/HR]​
Just based on sheer numbers produced the VR6 should be much easier to find.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: best audi or dub engine I can fit into my jetta IV (MatchStick)

Hey if you want something exotic, contact Dahlback racing in Sweden. Then get his setup for the 5 cylinder Audi engine with turbo, running 45psi of boost, and 900 hp. No seriously I would go with the 1.8T.
J

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Re: best audi or dub engine I can fit into my jetta IV (joshmel1)

I'm not sure if it would fit, but I wonder if a W8 or W12 would work.. if it did, that would be pretty dang fast. Does anybody know if this would work and i fnot why not?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Re: best audi or dub engine I can fit into my jetta IV (vivagarcia)

HPA Motorsports makes a VR6 twin turbo setup using the the Audi S4 engine components installed on a VR6. They can squeeze that engine into a beetle and have installed it in a golf so I'm pretty sure it would fit in your Jetta.
Specs:
Type...........Euro 24v, 15 degree V6, cast iron block with aluminum head
Bore x Stroke....................... 81.0 x 90.2 mm
Displacement..................................2792 CC
Compression Ratio...............................7.0:1
Valve Gear.............Chain driven dual overhead
cams, 4 valves per cylinder,
hydraulic lifters
Exhaust System......HPA Racing 3.0" T-304
Engine-control.................HPA/HGP ECU
Max Horsepower....508 bhp @ 5600 rpm
Max Torque............556 lb-ft @3400 rpm
Redline..........................................7200 rpm
Recommended fuel...........92 octane or higher

Turbo System
Twin KKK K-04Turbochargers
(1.4 Bar or 20 psi)
Cast Aluminum Intake Manifold
Twin Intercoolers
http://www.hpamotorsports.com
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
686 Posts

Get the 2.0T from ecstuning.com, will be a nice proyect, contact Tom great guy. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Re: best audi or dub engine I can fit into my jetta IV (GOLFERO)

don't forget the mods you'll have to do to brakes, wheels, etc... if you do this......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts