VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to be doing a shake-up of my stable soon, which is going to leave me opportunities to try some new vehicles. Although historically a truck and 4x4 person, I thought maybe a performance car would be fun for a change. But with no twisties in my area, any street hooliganism is limited to stoplight stomping.

I'm also a notorious cheapskate.

So what's the best 0-60 performance for the lowest price out there that I could get.

I could put a $1000 tune on my Ranger and probably be in the low 5 second range. Just wondering if I can do a lot better than that for more, but not too much more.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Whats your budget and aftermarket appetite? My gut says MK7 Golf 1.8T with a tune.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats your budget and aftermarket appetite? My gut says MK7 Golf 1.8T with a tune.
I don't mind aftermarket stuff as long as I don't have to fuss with it all the time or run the risk of blowing something up.
I can't answer the budget question. Cheap? But I don't know what cheap is.

·
Premium Member
7,292 Posts
Mustang, Camaro, Charger/Challenger, Corvette.

Whichever one with a v8 is cheapest in your area.

If you want to pepper your angus, a V8TT 5 series and a tune. It'll probably explode or leak to death after a pull or two, but it will be fast while doing so.

• Haha
Reactions: tone228

·
Registered
2008 VW Rabbit, MT, 3-door
177 Posts
What is fast 0-60 for your?

Bolt is already fast, close to older GTis.

Are you talking only 0-60 or 1/4 mile as well?
The best 0-60 would be small cars with tuned engines and improved grip (tires). The lighter you can get, the better.
AWD? Yes, would help as well.

I had 500e. It was very quick at 0-40. Bolt seems slower at 0-40, but then it keeps pulling.
If you can disable the torque limiter on Bolt - that is your 0-60 ride.

·
Registered
29,869 Posts
Accelerating is one thing, but how about braking?

• Haha
Reactions: atomicalex

·
Registered
213 Posts
Budget is a highly relevant piece of information for this.

New or used?

Are you going to take it to the drag strip or just want to brag that it goes 0-60 in x.x seconds?

Generally a mid 90s LT1 Camaro or later 90s LS Camaro is the cheapest 0-60 for a few k.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Lowest cost or lowest cost to own? The way Tesla pricing is going, a performance model 3 or Y will be nearly free to own for a year or two once you sell it. 11.40 quarter mile for the 3P with very amusing performance from stop light to stop light if a soulless EV is an option.

·
Registered
Giulia, HRV, Ranger
3,695 Posts
C5 vette

newest Mustang GT you can find for your budget

I guess Camaro but I just can't deal with the styling and the visibility

Challengers are too heavy compared to a similar priced/powered used Mustang

edit: you want a truck? cheap gen 1 Cayenne turbo and lots of thoughts and prayers

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
20,462 Posts
Something light, RWD, that accepts a cheap V8, and build it yourself. Don't worry about pretty, don't worry about perfect, just worry about solid and low cost.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
1 - 20 of 185 Posts