VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
9,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost 9 winters, my Mazda3's battery is finally done. People seem to swap out their batteries every 3-5 years, and yet mine has given almost 9 years of service which I find is unusually excellent, especially given our -30*C winters. I wanted to buy the same one (GS Yuasa, made in Australia/Japan) but no one distributes a Yuasa car battery around here (only motorcycle grade). I even reached out to Yuasa in Pennsylvania to point me in the right direction...nada.

Anyway, I don't want to buy another Motomaster Eliminator (like I've done in the past), and I'm not confident those lightweight (and expensive) batteries (Optima or similar) offer the same impressive lifespan.

What batteries have you had in your car and what climate / type of driving have you done?

·
Registered
2 Turbo Wagons.
19,543 Posts
Original batteries last forever. Replacements don't.

Mk3 VR6: Original lasted 7 years. Only died after buying the TDI and not maintaining it through the winter.
Mk4 TDI : Original lasted 11 years. The last 2 batteries have each made it about 5 years.
WRX: Original lasted 9 years. Crossed fingers on replacement... it's nearing time.

Climate is mid-atlantic. Reasonably mild winters, reasonably hot summers.
Replacements are either Walmart or Costco.
Cold will deplete the charge, but doesn't hurt the battery longevity. Heat and repeated deep draining is what shortens battery life.

·
Registered
'23 GTI S, '18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '91 GTI VR6
6,604 Posts
Does the dealer not have an OEM replacement? Are OEM replacements not Yuasa?

I'm usually one to get whatever mid-grade battery is at the parts store and be done. I usually shop around but most of the time end up at NAPA. That said, all my cars are on OEM batteries at the moment - Toyota and VW are still on their originals, Ford had a Motorcraft battery installed when I bought it because they had to jump it when I first went and saw it.

I'll echo you on the OEM Mazda battery life. Ours lasted 6+ years in our ownership and my wife kept in contact with the family that bought it and I think the battery finally died around the 7-8 year mark - we're in New England.

·
Registered
Black 2019 35th GLI M6
1,239 Posts
+1 to OEM batteries lasting forever.

I never replaced the one in my 13 Cruze. My wife's 17 CRV is still on the factory battery. My VW is as well but for a 19 that's nothing special. I always try to ride the factory battery out as long as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I've always just gone to Interstate and gotten whatever they had there, that being said i'm looking at a few batteries next summer i'd say, the Cayman's is gonna be 9 years old, the BMW's is going to be 7 years old and the 911's is going to be 6 years old. I may have to pony up and pick up an OEM for those guys (maybe I can get away with a VW/Audi battery for the Porsches and register them with my scan tool myself?).

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
OEM Battery in my 2010 Camaro SS lasted 10 years! In fact it was fine when I replaced it, I just got to 10 years and was like "eh I should replace this, I got my moneys worth" but TBH it still worked fine.

Anyway I know people talk a lot of crap about them but I use Optima batteries in anything that can fit them. Mainly because I have a bunch of cars and many of them sit around. Its nice to know that if the battery dies I can condition and recharge it and get back to normal and not worry. I do have the special Optima Digital battery charger to do that.

·
Registered
'14 A4, '12 Tiguan, '17 Evora 400
4,866 Posts
Keep in mind that most batteries sold in the USA are manufactured by Johnson Controls, East Penn or Exide. They are labeled as various house brands and who supplies batteries for these house brands can vary by region.

·
Registered
1990 Cabriolet, 2004 VW Golf TDI
1,427 Posts
Many years ago, like 2002, I drove a 1976 VW Camper from Poultney, VT to Collegvile, PA on just an Exide battery. It finally died just about a mile from the destination. Still I was impressed.
Currently I have very satisfied with the Optima Red Top I have in my VW Cabriolet.,
I have an Interstate in my Golf TDI that is only 2 years old but has started cranking slow if the car sits for more than a day. I plan to replace it with a Deka.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Virgin lead based batteries have longer charge/discharge cycles compared to recycled lead batteries. There would be good squabbles about it in the car audio community but they have moved on to lithium and super caps due to better power density.

Odyssey uses virgin lead and the price shows it but they are great batteries. I always run them when possible/affordable.

Deka Intimidators (East Penn) and Duralast Platinum AGMs are good types made with recycled lead.

·
Registered
Black 2019 35th GLI M6
1,239 Posts
Many years ago, like 2002, I drove a 1976 VW Camper from Poultney, VT to Collegvile, PA on just an Exide battery. It finally died just about a mile from the destination. Still I was impressed.
Currently I have very satisfied with the Optima Red Top I have in my VW Cabriolet.,
I have an Interstate in my Golf TDI that is only 2 years old but has started cranking slow if the car sits for more than a day. I plan to replace it with a Deka.
Bummer to hear your interstate isn't working well for you. I just put two new interstate in my plow/dump truck last year and they've been working well...but they are basically new (albeit with a heavy duty cycle when plowing). There's a store right near work so I'm thinking of sticking with them.

·
Registered
49,363 Posts
Bummer to hear your interstate isn't working well for you. I just put two new interstate in my plow/dump truck last year and they've been working well...but they are basically new (albeit with a heavy duty cycle when plowing). There's a store right near work so I'm thinking of sticking with them.
I've never had a problem with Interstate, including the one in my Bug right now, though that one is hardly taxed since it's a 12-volt system but still running a 6-volt starter. It goes "cra-VROOM!"

Auto Zone batteries have served me well, but I don't get the cheap-o ones, only the red or yellow top. By "cheap-o" that now means "anything under $100".

·
Registered
784 Posts
Why don't you want a Motomaster?
I have had pretty good luck with them in the same climate.
I find it's a real crapshoot. I've had cheap motomasters die within a year or two, but on the other hand, I had a Motomaster battery with a 2014 date on it in my Outback, and that thing would always, always always start (and crank well, not slowly) no matter how cold, even being 7 years old.

However, I have had nothing but bad experiences with Exide batteries. I've bought three, and all have died within 2 years.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
41,767 Posts
OEM: Toyota/Panasonic
Aftermarket: Interstate

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you have a local NAPA, the sometimes have very good deals on batteries. They are made by DEKA / East Penn.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I went with a O'Reillys AGM for the 993, made by East Penn, IIRC.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts