VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with this? Killa? I am going to be doing the Matrix Turbo(modified a bit to suit my needs), and I want to get an idea of what I should be running. I have a set of the Schrick 260/276 cams brand new that I haven't put in yet because they are too "big" for what I plan to do. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: Best cams for 16V Turbo? (Phobia16V)

There's been some arguments on this topic, but I would sure like to see a level-headed discussion that sets the topic straight.
After I get my 16vT broken in and running, I am considering swapping in some cams myself. However, I was wondering if adjustable cam CHAIN gears would be a greater asset as they could dial out overlap, which would be inherent in any set of cams designed for NA use.
What do you guys think? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: Best cams for 16V Turbo? (samrabbit)

quote:[HR][/HR]they need to be degreed internally (inside the valve cover)for boost.
[HR][/HR]​
Uhh, that's what I said, right?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Re: Best cams for 16V Turbo? (vdubturbo)

quote:[HR][/HR]There's been some arguments on this topic, but I would sure like to see a level-headed discussion that sets the topic straight.[HR][/HR]​
hahahah and then on ur last post u basically act like an ass to the guy... hahahha ur funny

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

i am sure he will chime in, but killa is using dual exhaust cams. i would think either these or a euro cam would be the most extreme cams for turbo. as for the internal cam gears, would your (dave) plans be so great that it would come down to adjusting cam gears to dial out overlap? IMO they arent realistic for most people, even at your level.
<edit> actually i take it back, who is to say what your amount of time/dedication per amount of power ratio is. I feel my time could be better spent elsewhere which would have a larger impact on the power output.

[Modified by RavenGTi, 9:36 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Banned
5,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Best cams for 16V Turbo? (RavenGTi)

Well, "my level" is only limited by how much money I am willing to spend. I'm more than willing to take the time to do things right, but I prefer to do them right the first time. I have a second car to drive, so that's not an issue, either. I'm just the type of person to collect all of the necessary parts and do the whole project in one shot.
The plan is to run about 9:1 compression with about 10-12psi of boost. I'm going to use the Matrix kit, but modified a bit(including a FMIC), but I want to get some reliable power out of it. The car isn't going to be too wild...I'm not after a drag racer, just a fast street car. Any input is welcome, as I am rather new to the whole forced induction game.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

well for your application, i would go with a euro intake cam. i mean its factory (well almost). stealth racing in the UK has put their kit using stock KR cams, four extra injectors, K-star (on the euro inj), a garrett T25, and at .65 bar (9.5psi) it makes 200hp(not sure if its at the crank or the wheels).
<edit> oh yeah, on the stock 1.8L KR/PL block

[Modified by RavenGTi, 10:55 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: Best cams for 16V Turbo? (MK2NRG)

OK ok ok... I guess you got me there. But it sure didn't help me much that he simply repeated what I had just said!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.