VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I sell my current ride and take out from the bank I'll have about 7000 canadian to spend on a new car. Any ideas? I need something fairly reliable and economical as I'll be going to college next year and it's a 50km round trip each day. If possible I would also like to be able to tow 500 lbs (my dirtbike and a trailer).
The cars I'm thinking about right now are:
88ish bmw 325i - decent power, looks sweet but I've heard they can be fairly expensive to fix and break down a lot.
90ish eagle talon - fast, handles well, awd is nice for the winter, looks good too but I'm worried about reliability again.
93ish golf - looks good, nice interior but not much power from the 2.0 gas or 1.9 non-tdi diesel.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Re: Best car for 7000 cdn. (elegal)

Well if that is your budget then you should probably go for a used civic. At least you would have a better chance to get some good reliability.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhh not too sure about that. I dont really like Honda cars. I know they're good I just don't like them.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Re: (elegal)

Well it seems as if you are in the market for a cheap car, and for a person on your budget the reliability of a Honda may be just what the doctor ordered. You cant ask for too much in the 7000 range.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

Get a 1996 Mazda MX-6 Mystere LS. It's a TON of car for the money. It's reliable, relatively cheap to fix, and mine doesn't get much worse gas mileage than my old '92 Accord 4-cylinder. The V6 has tons of torque and pulls really nicely once you get it over 4000 RPM. Handling is great, sticks like glue, and is relatively comfortable on the highway. Plus the styling still looks way better than anything else in this category even today...
(Try for a 1996 or newer version because they are the most reliable and avoid the automtic transmission at all costs.)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Never thought of an mx6. Thats a good idea.
Anyone know how the bmw's are for reliability? I love the old school look of them. My friends mom has a 1990 325i and I really like the interior too. It's got everything for a 90.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Re: (elegal)

Quote, originally posted by elegal »
Anyone know how the bmw's are for reliability? I love the old school look of them. My friends mom has a 1990 325i and I really like the interior too. It's got everything for a 90.

Old bimmers are money pits. Trust me, if you only have a couple grand to spend, go with something safe like an used Civic or the MX-6.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Re: (ironside_a)

The old bmw's are not bad cars at all, I had one and it never let me down. All you have to do is find one that has had the timing belt changed in the last 20k miles and has decent documentation. If you have that they are extremely reliable.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

Another option (which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet) is a 1993 Nissan 240SX. A much loved car around here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts