VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm just wanting to see people's thoughts on the best coilovers for the MK7 Golf R for daily driving and taking to the track on the weekends or going through corners and curves with a good amount of speed. Im looking into getting some for my R, but I don't know what to get.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Hello! I'm just wanting to see people's thoughts on the best coilovers for the MK7 Golf R for daily driving and taking to the track on the weekends or going through corners and curves with a good amount of speed. Im looking into getting some for my R, but I don't know what to get.
If price isn’t a factor, and you’re only looking to lower a little from stock ride height, then probably these…

They are on back order but are hitting distributors soon (about a week from what I’m told by Öhlins). Other than that, can’t go wrong with Bilsteins .

I currently have KW V2’s and can’t really recommend them. Rear spring is too soft (probably right for a GTI). The ride is nice but a bit too floaty. I might try firming it up a couple clicks, but you have to take the rear shocks out to do so which is a PITA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am running BC Racing on my S3 and love them. They are very easy to adjust which is nice so I can stiffen them up once I get to track and then undo it for the ride home. Between that and a RSB I think its a pretty good set up. I would recommend the swift springs upgrade totally worth it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I don't quite want to spend Ohlin's money, and I don't want to have to drop the strut to adjust the damping (so that rules out all of KW).

Been looking at the Sachs kit but they might be even softer than KWs, so that worries me a bit.

I had Ohlin's on my previous car and it really was magical for a street car, so if you can bite I'd recommend them with no hesitation

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I don't quite want to spend Ohlin's money, and I don't want to have to drop the strut to adjust the damping (so that rules out all of KW).

Been looking at the Sachs kit but they might be even softer than KWs, so that worries me a bit.

I had Ohlin's on my previous car and it really was magical for a street car, so if you can bite I'd recommend them with no hesitation
Just bought a set of Öhlins yesterday (VWS MU21S2) and are looking forward to replacing my KW V2’s which have some issues and are making a LOT of clunking/****ty noises.

I bought into them because everyone has said the same thing as you, that they ride better than stock even when lowered. I just hope they go as low as I want them to.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I am running BC Racing on my S3 and love them. They are very easy to adjust which is nice so I can stiffen them up once I get to track and then undo it for the ride home. Between that and a RSB I think its a pretty good set up. I would recommend the swift springs upgrade totally worth it.
Are the rears adjustable? I didn’t think the dampening on the rear was easy to adjust.

I’m thinking of how Bilstein B16’s adjust which is what I would like.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
If you want to retain DCC, you don't have many choices. Like usual and I've said it before, the likelihood of someone here trying every suspension setup out there is next to zero. Most people have experienced 1-2 different options and we'll have a bias toward the thing we picked (see Samsung versus iPhone). I have the Billstein B16s. Are they the best? I don't know. Do I like them? I like them a LOT.

I've done Drag strips days, track days, auto cross and I've driven about 10,000 miles on them primarily around town in New England with bad roads but I've done a few trips to Delaware, Philly, Boston and they do not bottom out like the OEMs did when hitting massive pot holes. they are comfortable and firm. No they are not as soft as stock but 10% firmness in comfort equals a lot less body roll in race mode. So I'm happy with them on and off track and would buy them again.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have been running Bilstein B16 damptronics for a little over a year. I like that they work with the DCC, and are a great improvement in all settings.

I have also heard good things about the Ohlins, but wanted to maintain the DCC adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been running Bilstein B16 damptronics for a little over a year. I like that they work with the DCC, and are a great improvement in all settings.

I have also heard good things about the Ohlins, but wanted to maintain the DCC adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Price ?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Unfortunately from what I've read ohlins have long shock bodies that aren't adjustable, so they don't go super low. Hopefully you're not hoping for more than 1" or you might be disappointed
No, I’m actually looking to raise the car slightly from where it is now. I love the look but it is just not functionally appropriate for the roads I drive on. From my understanding the newest iteration of the Öhlins Coilovers for our car go lower than the previous generation. The rep said they only go 15 mm though (just over half an inch?). Which is not really low at all. I’d probably be ecstatic if they dropped an inch. If they end up being close to where my Emmanuel design Springs sat at I’ll be happy. I’m more concerned with an amazing ride than looks ATM. But I also got a set of Michelin PS 4’s in 235, (coming from Firestone firehawk Indy 500s in 245), so I’m hoping to run a slightly wider spacer which should help visually fill in the wheel gap a little bit.

I’ll post up a before/after somewhere here. They come in tomorrow and I’m going to try to install them next week.

Not sure if I’m going to re-use my SuperPro Strut mounts or use the set of EuroSport strut mounts that modify the OEM mount for more camber than stock (but less than SP) and still ride nice. SP’s have a fair amount of NVH. Not sure it’s worth the gains in turn-in and handling.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Are the rears adjustable? I didn’t think the dampening on the rear was easy to adjust.

I’m thinking of how Bilstein B16’s adjust which is what I would like.
Yes they are adjustable and super easy to do. There is a small wheel to turn that is at the top of the shock. I have to jack the car up to get some space between the wheel and the fender so I can get my hand back there but its really not to bad for how often I do it.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If you want to retain DCC, you don't have many choices. Like usual and I've said it before, the likelihood of someone here trying every suspension setup out there is next to zero. Most people have experienced 1-2 different options and we'll have a bias toward the thing we picked (see Samsung versus iPhone). I have the Billstein B16s. Are they the best? I don't know. Do I like them? I like them a LOT.

I've done Drag strips days, track days, auto cross and I've driven about 10,000 miles on them primarily around town in New England with bad roads but I've done a few trips to Delaware, Philly, Boston and they do not bottom out like the OEMs did when hitting massive pot holes. they are comfortable and firm. No they are not as soft as stock but 10% firmness in comfort equals a lot less body roll in race mode. So I'm happy with them on and off track and would buy them again.
Bilsteins are great, my KW‘s also ride way better than the stock shocks with aftermarket springs. They bottomed out all the time. Now, with my KW‘s they ride really low and still soak up bumps and provide a smooth ride and never hit the bump stops. I’d recommend them if the rear springs weren’t so soft.

In my research about Öhlins, two or three separate people mentioned that after they switched they didn’t even miss DCC at all. The reviews of the way they ride you would swear the person had a religious experience

I’m just hoping they ride more like OEM, but stiffer and more tight (and go slightly lower than they advertise). KW‘s are too floaty, but that could be the setting I have them on. Like I said, I have to repair them off the car so I said **** it, and decided to pull the trigger on the Öhlins.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Bilsteins are great, my KW‘s also ride way better than the stock shocks with aftermarket springs. They bottomed out all the time. Now, with my KW‘s they ride really low and still soak up bumps and provide a smooth ride and never hit the bump stops. I’d recommend them if the rear springs weren’t so soft.

In my research about Öhlins, two or three separate people mentioned that after they switched they didn’t even miss DCC at all. The reviews of the way they ride you would swear the person had a religious experience

I’m just hoping they ride more like OEM, but stiffer and more tight (and go slightly lower than they advertise). KW‘s are too floaty, but that could be the setting I have them on. Like I said, I have to repair them off the car so I said **** it, and decided to pull the trigger on the Öhlins.

I have a similar experience to you. I went from stock DCC to KW DCC. While they are more comfortable than stock the rears are too soft & are lacking on spirited drives. My friend has the Ohlins and after riding in and driving his car I can say they are stiffer than stock, the control is much better making everything feel more tight. And being able to adjust the shocks with the car on the ground is so super convenient (with the exception of in the car.lol).

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I have a similar experience to you. I went from stock DCC to KW DCC and they are way comfortable but the rears are too soft & are lackingon spirited drives. My friend has the Ohlins and after riding in and driving his car I can say they are stiffer than stock, the control is much better making everything feel more tight. And being able to adjust the shocks with the car on the ground is so super convenient (with the exception of in the car.lol).

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk
Good to hear about the Öhlins, thanks for the review. And I’m glad I’m not alone on the KW’s. They definitely developed them on a GTI and did not even consider the extra 300 or so pounds of the R, most of which is in the rear. Add a full tank of gas, 2 passengers and some stuff in the trunk and you are near rubbing just while driving (especially with wider tires). I have the spindle dialed near all the way up, plus riser pucks, and the back tires are nearly tucked. When I sell them I’ll only sell them to a GTI owner so they have a better experience.

FWIW, I have a base model R so no DCC (it was a blessing in disguise), but lowering springs still ruined the shocks and struts in a hurry. . Shocks and struts purpose built for lowered cars (like Bilstein B6) Work fine with lowering springs though. They definitely ride better and don’t hit bump-stops all day. So that’s an option if OP isn’t married to the idea of Coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.