VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I don't think there has ever been a poll regarding this and I am sure a lot of people are interested in others' opinions on this.
What do you think is the best looking dash enhancement kit for the MKIV? It is quite obvious that the 25th Ani Direct Replacement is the best, however it's disadvantage to many is price. There are some very nice adhesive kits out there, so just wondering what everyone thinks and recommends.
Lets spruce up this thread with some pics no?

Thanks in advance!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Johnny_Turbo, 7:43 AM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Best Dash Kit? Mini-Poll :) (kyokoris)

quote:[HR][/HR]i love the wood trim.... hm maybe just me http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
I like the wood as well..gives that classy look. I like the Brushed Alu specifically for that as well, also the sporty aura it gives

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Best Dash Kit? Mini-Poll :) (Johnny_Turbo)

Hey PICI fans, please provide your opinion on this kit. I have never seen it in person and just wondering how it looks compared to the plasticy surfaced kits?

·
Banned
429 Posts

No, actually it's scratch resistant. I haven't got a scratch on it anywhere and I've had the kit for 4 months now. It's also REAL anodized aluminum which is a big plus is my book!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
493 Posts
Re: Best Dash Kit? Mini-Poll :) (gizo)

A word on the PICI kit...
Overall: I am pleased with mine overall on my GTI. People love the OEM kit, but I wanted more pieces than the OEM kit has (plus the OEM kit is pricey).
Installation: I didn't know how to use the primer, but it came out real fast and I was sort of sloppy and nearly ran out at the end. As a result, the piece that goes around the passenger door handle didn't stick very well. That's okay because I'm thinking about taking off the following pieces: above mentioned door handle surround, same piece on the driver side, cover for the pull handle of the driver side (where the window controls and locks are), and the cover for the trunk and gas switches. I did not use the piece that covers the glove box pull switch. I thought it would look out of place. After that, I will have the pieces around the entire center console (stereo, A/C, cupholder, shifter, etc) and around all the vents (including the two small circular ones on top of the dash).
Impressions: I've gotten several compliments on this kit. Quite a few people who are not VW fanatics have asked me if it came like that. Actually, I had to point out that I put it on myself, otherwise they never would have known. This is why they couldn't tell: The small surrounding area around each vent is slightly recessed into your dash so it makes for a nice spot to stick the extra alluminum. This way, after the pieces are installed, they look pretty much flush with the rest of the dash. This is the reason I am going to take off the peices mentioned above - they don't look like they really belong there.
Word of Warning: I had a roll of quarters in my empty cubby box thing above the radio. When I turned hard, it rolled out and fell onto the floor after bouncing off the trim around the shifter area. It dented the alulminum so I was pissed at myself. There are two small dents there now because I only realized this after it happened the second time. No one really notices it because that is almost where my knee rests while I'm driving. I haven't experiences any scratches yet. I've had the kit on for a couple months. Also, when I installed the cupholder cover, it nearly rendered it unusable. The piece is really think now so you have to sort of gently lift it up instead of it going all by itself.
I would recommend this kit to people who want more pieces that the OEM kit offers. I have a black interior in my silver GTI so I think the whole color scheme works out good with the interior/exterior. Also, I have a JVC MP3 deck that is made out of aluminum. It doesn't match perfectly, but it is pretty darn close. This makes the entire center column silver. I think it looks both sporty and classy.
Conclusion: I will be keeping an eye on this topic. I don't have pics of the kit on this computer, so speak up of you want pics and I will take them at a smaller size and try to post them. I only offer this much info because when I was trying to decide on this kit, good reliable info was hard to find.
Later.

·
Registered
768 Posts

I know this is awkward, but, Could you post the Part Numbers for the 25th anniversary kit? Dealer acts stupid, says "25th anniversary?! Oh you mean the wood grain?"
PSSHT Please help! I am stuck out of town right now and money is burning a hole in my pocket,as it has been 7days 3hours 47minutes since I have purchased anything for my Jetta ....LOL, I know if I had PN's they could get them for me. TIA

[Modified by wagenspeed, 1:48 PM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Best Dash Kit? Mini-Poll :) (MrFrostie)

quote:[HR][/HR]I only offer this much info because when I was trying to decide on this kit, good reliable info was hard to find.
Later.[HR][/HR]​
My sentiments exactly! For those of use looking and comtemplating over the dash choices, posts like yours are extremely helpful http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
If you can post any pics that would be greatly appreciated! I am leaning a bit more towards this kit however once I order and ship it from the US to Toronto, include taxes and shipping, it will be quite expensive; but of course still an option.
I went to go check out the Driver Gear Alu kit last night and it didn't appeal to me as much as I though. I would have liked to have seen it on a dash though (any pics!!!
It looks more glossy and plasticy than what I was looking for, but still nice. I saw it on a VW a little whilr back and it looked quite sharp and I didn't reallt notice the glossiness of it. Does anyone have an opinion on this particular kit???
Again, pics would be the most benefitial medium to help in the decision making process, so post em up dub-lovers!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: Best Dash Kit? Mini-Poll :) (wagenspeed)

I just ordered the Brasilian Rosewood finish from Alkaplus.com for $145 shipped. It's got a money-back on it, so if it doesn't look good, I'll send it back.
I thought the wood would look great with black leather over Galactic Blue paint. I'll post a pic when it goes on this weekend.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts