VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are most of you running as far as down pipe for a Golf R? I want to go stage 2 and have a cold air intake and just looking for input on which one would be the best. I see pricing from 599.00 to 1200.00 and I understand you get what you pay for. Thoughts???

·
Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
807 Posts
What are most of you running as far as down pipe for a Golf R? I want to go stage 2 and have a cold air intake and just looking for input on which one would be the best. I see pricing from 599.00 to 1200.00 and I understand you get what you pay for. Thoughts???
Depends on whether or not you want to be a nuisance to the public and smell gasoline combustion constantly.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Depends on whether or not you want to be a nuisance to the public and smell gasoline combustion constantly.
Also depends on how much you enjoy your ears/head ringing from drone.

Reactions: gingercabrio

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wanted a good high flow cat for less smells, but I also wanted some pizzazz so I went AMS. Its just a pipe but I am fully satisfied. Easy install (as easy as a dp on a golf R could be lol)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
I've been happy with my Bull-X. Not the first one, that one broke on me but the 2nd one they replaced 4 years ago has been great. My first one broke at the bendy section. It had a high-flow cat and has been fine. Buy something reputable and buy it once instead of buying the cheapest. The one I've been told to avoid would be CTS and anything on eBay. APR, Bull-X, Unitronic, AWE are probably all I'd consider.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have a 42draftdesigns catted (previous owner had the same one which he took off) so i bought it too, people said it has good welds and quality, also it's way cheaper than competition. from what i remember people werent impressed with APR quality welds and down pipe itself, if im correct

·
Registered
528 Posts
i have a 42draftdesigns catted (previous owner had the same one which he took off) so i bought it too, people said it has good welds and quality, also it's way cheaper than competition. from what i remember people werent impressed with APR quality welds and down pipe itself, if im correct
never heard anyone have an issue with the APR welds. mine's quality and I've had no issues. Only issue I'm aware with APR is around the flaps in their valved catback.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've been happy with my Bull-X. Not the first one, that one broke on me but the 2nd one they replaced 4 years ago has been great. My first one broke at the bendy section. It had a high-flow cat and has been fine. Buy something reputable and buy it once instead of buying the cheapest. The one I've been told to avoid would be CTS and anything on eBay. APR, Bull-X, Unitronic, AWE are probably all I'd consider.
I'd only half echo this sentiment about CTS, specifically if you have strict inspection laws. I run a catted CTS DP and its nearly impossible to pass annual inspection. It always triggers CELs from O2 sensor codes. Aside from that though, it's been a great DP. Has been on for 5 years, no problems. It's definitely louder in 1st gear/very low RPMs, but has no drone and fairly minimal exhaust smell on the stock exhaust.

Reactions: AdamChandler

·
Registered
254 Posts
No experience with any other downpipes on this platform. But my IE downpipe had perfect fit, no drone on my golf r. Definitely a quality part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Arteon, 2016 .:R, 1991 Mazda B2600i
2,175 Posts
Unitronic here. No regerts. Have gone big turbo since. no regerts.

·
Registered
353 Posts
AMS has been solid for years. +1 for AMS.
I've only been running my AMS downpipe for a few weeks, but it seems fairly nice. I ran into a couple issues, but they did seem motivated to help me out with them. I did unfortunately have to run a O2 sensor spacer to get rid of faults, but haven't seen any further since installing the spacer.

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
I have a CTS down-pipe. How is it a nuisance to the public? It's barely louder than stock, which is really quiet for a performance car.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
807 Posts
I have a CTS down-pipe. How is it a nuisance to the public? It's barely louder than stock, which is really quiet for a performance car.
Catless and smelly downpipes are a nuisance to the public.
Nobody wants to smell your car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nobody mentioned Trackslag? That’s the one all the upgraded turbo guys rave about.

Reactions: Lng_King

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Buy a catted system used off classifieds from one of the big brands that have a bunch of happy customers. APR, IE, HPA, AMS, UNI are all great options. Perhaps there are some R owners in your area that can let you listen to theirs? Online sound clips are hard to judge if there's a certain sound you're going for.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts